C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In search of parasitic draw…

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 09:39 AM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Default In search of parasitic draw…

Since my 2006 now longer works with OnStar(outdated cell connection) I plan on removing the fuse… I also recently added an aftermarket stereo… My car is a 3LT that came with the Bose/ Nav/ XM radio… I’d like to remove the XM box also, and I assume there is a separate fuse for that also…? If so, I want to remove it too.
Old 10-27-2023, 10:57 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Unfortunately, the XM is on the same circuit as the radio.(RADIO/S-BAND/VICS) 15A fuse.

You can remove the fuse for the OnStar, which is a usual suspect for parasitic draw.
If you have a digital multi-meter, you can hook it up at your battery and check before/aft the draw of the On-Star.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Parasitic Draw-New.pdf (398.7 KB, 27 views)
The following users liked this post:
Tom_Slick (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 02:49 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks again... After pulling the fuse, and going for a drive with my lights, A/C, radio, and front bumper camera on, I noticed that the voltage seldom dropped below 14.0. Prior to pulling the fuse I’ve seen it drop as low as 13.0 when under a load. I’ve bought multiple batteries, changed the battery terminals thinking that would fix the problem in the past, it didn’t… The funny part is that even though I paid a monthly fee for OnStar for many years, I seldom ever used it.

Last edited by Tom_Slick; 10-27-2023 at 05:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To In search of parasitic draw…

Quick Reply: In search of parasitic draw…