C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why 2 micro switches in Console ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 06:39 PM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Why 2 micro switches in Console ?

I believe there are TWO micro switches inside the console of an automatic shift C6 (Yr 2009). It’s my understanding that one is to let the computer know the shifter is in PARK to give the OK for the starter motor to crank. Can anybody explain why there are TWO micro switches and what each one does? I’m having an intermittent crank problem and I’m trying to trace down possible failure areas.
Old 10-14-2023, 06:55 PM
Rod2013C6
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by happiedazs
I believe there are TWO micro switches inside the console of an automatic shift C6 (Yr 2009). It’s my understanding that one is to let the computer know the shifter is in PARK to give the OK for the starter motor to crank. Can anybody explain why there are TWO micro switches and what each one does? I’m having an intermittent crank problem and I’m trying to trace down possible failure areas.
C&S Corvettes just posted a video about that on there youtube channel...check it out, i believe it will help you.
Old 10-14-2023, 08:19 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

On the A6 shifter, one is to let the computer know that the shifter is in park, and the other to to power up the park release pawl once the car is starter with shifter in park, to engage the solenoid to pull the pawl out of the way until you shift out of park, and once out of park position, remove the power from the solenoid so it does not burn up by being energized all the time when driving and shifter out of park isntead.

On the A4 shifter assembly, you just just have the pawl solenoid contact switch in the assembly, with the park switch down at the output shaft on the trans isntead.
Old 10-17-2023, 01:38 AM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rod2013C6
C&S Corvettes just posted a video about that on there youtube channel...check it out, i believe it will help you.
I searched for that video but couldn't locate it. If you could share the link to that video that would be very helpful.
Old 10-17-2023, 02:27 PM
TucoTom
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Go to "You Tube", C&S Corvette....it's one of the newest videos.
Old 10-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Rod2013C6
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 61 Posts

I searched for that video but couldn't locate it. If you could share the link to that video that would be very helpful.
Old 10-19-2023, 09:29 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

The micro switches in the console for the shifter is explained correctly. If the Park position switch was the culprit, you should be getting "Shift to Park" alarm on the DIC.
If you are not getting this alarm when it fail to crank, then look around the starter connections as a starting point.

Good Luck
Old 10-20-2023, 01:43 AM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
The micro switches in the console for the shifter is explained correctly. If the Park position switch was the culprit, you should be getting "Shift to Park" alarm on the DIC.
If you are not getting this alarm when it fail to crank, then look around the starter connections as a starting point.

Good Luck
I'm not getting a "shift to park" message. I checked the two connections on the starter and they seemed fine. I replaced the crank relay #43 (swapped 40 and 43) and this weekend I replaced the Start/Stop ignition switch which I think could be the likely problem.
Car starts & stops fine so far ---- but this has been an intermittent problem so I need to see if it resurfaces. The other likely culprit could be the brake sensor switch. Corvette with it's cheap Chinese electrical parts and cheap plastic parts everywhere makes for never ending headaches.
I love my Corvettes but I really hate getting stranded. In the past year I've had the STUCK IN PARK problem; the SHIFTER CABLE disconnecting from the shifter leaving me stranded and now the intermittent no crank problem ---- and the car has less than 12,000 miles.
I'm 79 years old and I just want to enjoy my cars.
Thanks for your help
Old 10-23-2023, 12:38 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Good Luck. I nipped the Stuck in Park issue before it happened by tieing back the pawl.
I have 124K miles of pretty much trouble free ownership on my 2006

Get notified of new replies

To Why 2 micro switches in Console ?

Quick Reply: Why 2 micro switches in Console ?