C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 09:32 AM
wood78221
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
Pinning has been covered in many threads. It's probably best to refer to one of them.

It involves drilling a hole through your pulley into your crankshaft and inserting a pin to prevent rotation. No naturally-aspirated C6 was made with a pinned crank and the vast majority never spun a pulley. In my opinion, most of the spun pulleys you hear about are either 1) early '05s, or 2) replacement pulleys that were torqued incorrectly. The torque procedure is critical and can be difficult to do in the available space. I think it gets screwed up a lot.

Pinning is recommended if placing extra load on the pulley like with a supercharger, or if your pulley has spun before. Some owners do it as an insurance policy.
If I had the crank pinned, and would need to remove it (balancer) later; is the removal the same as before? Nothing really changes?
Old 08-23-2023, 10:20 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

You can also do a pin kit from the front, parallel with the crank. Drill a hole between the crank and the balancer and the pin goes there. The bolt holds it on and you just pull the hb off like normal.

also happy with the powerbond hb
The following users liked this post:
wood78221 (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 12:49 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by wood78221
If I had the crank pinned, and would need to remove it (balancer) later; is the removal the same as before? Nothing really changes?
Removal would be the same but re-installation could be different depending on the type of pin. The conventional axial pins (used for pulleys without keyways such as the stock one) look tricky to re-align. Some people just drill another hole. Systems designed for keyway pulleys like the ATI pin kit and the Innovators West pin kit should go back together as if you had a Woodruff key. The ATI kit looks like the cleanest solution to me.
The following users liked this post:
wood78221 (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 02:23 PM
wood78221
Racer

Originally Posted by torquetube
Removal would be the same but re-installation could be different depending on the type of pin. The conventional axial pins (used for pulleys without keyways such as the stock one) look tricky to re-align. Some people just drill another hole. Systems designed for keyway pulleys like the ATI pin kit and the Innovators West pin kit should go back together as if you had a Woodruff key. The ATI kit looks like the cleanest solution to me.
Thanks. I am having my balancer replaced and would like to do install a cam later in the year. I am just wondering because the shop is pinning the crank. I will just need to find out what type of pin they did then.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:33 PM
Arehman11
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wood78221
Thanks. I am having my balancer replaced and would like to do install a cam later in the year. I am just wondering because the shop is pinning the crank. I will just need to find out what type of pin they did then.
do yourself a favor and do the cam at the same time as the balancer. Otherwise your paying the same labor to remove and reinstall the HB again when you do a cam.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:51 PM
wood78221
Racer

Originally Posted by Arehman11
do yourself a favor and do the cam at the same time as the balancer. Otherwise your paying the same labor to remove and reinstall the HB again when you do a cam.
I am doing the cam
Old 08-24-2023, 09:55 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,342 Likes on 950 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't pin the crank if you know you're going to take it off soon and know you're not going to supercharge it. I've pulled a pinned crank off and ended up redrilling it when I had to take it off and reinstall. And it was on an engine stand. Every bad crank pulley I've seen came apart where the two pieces are bonded together. Never seen one spin on the crank that wasn't already coming apart.
Old 08-26-2023, 02:58 PM
classof05
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Plan to purchase the HB today, once that is shipped my shopping list is complete.
Next...Assembly time!

Old 08-30-2023, 07:44 AM
classof05
Burning Brakes

JEGS nor Summit has the PowerBond PB1117SS in stock.
I did come across this HB: Professional Products Powerforce+Plus Harmonic Damper Chevy Corvette LS1/LS2/LS6
Professional Products 90033: Powerforce+Plus Harmonic Damper Chevy Corvette LS1/LS2/LS6 - JEGS
Wanted to get an opinion or possibly a review if any of guys have made purchase from this brand in the past.
Old 09-17-2023, 02:28 PM
Remmyman
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is now wobbling. I’m putting the car away for the winter and will have the HB taken care of in the spring. I won’t go with OE. I’ll go with one from Summitt or JEGS. Can someone who had a repair facility do the work give me an approximate cost figure. The car has slightly under 40,000 miles. Would it be wise to replace the tensioners and belts. Car is a 2007 base Z51.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:36 PM
classof05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Remmyman
Mine is now wobbling. I’m putting the car away for the winter and will have the HB taken care of in the spring. I won’t go with OE. I’ll go with one from Summitt or JEGS. Can someone who had a repair facility do the work give me an approximate cost figure. The car has slightly under 40,000 miles. Would it be wise to replace the tensioners and belts. Car is a 2007 base Z51.
I've decided to replace everything along w/ the Harmonic Balancer.
Here's a list of everything I've bought so far:
Power Steering Pulley
A/C Pulley
Idler Pulley
Water Pump, Alternator, Power Steering Belt
A/C Belt
Belt Tensioner

The only thing left to acquire is the HB itself.
I'm more than likely going to decide on the Dayco Powerbond.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:59 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I had mine replaced I also had my mechanic replace the front main seal and both belts, serpentine and AC belt.

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer gone bad?