C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 427

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 07:56 PM
Jason1415$
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 427

I had the oil and spark plugs change in my 2013 427 anniversary. Car has 4000 miles. The car started over heating , I took it back to the machanic right away. He informed me that the engine has a major problem. Whants to start to take the engine apart to find out whats wrong. Please give me some feed back. Thanks
Old 07-17-2023, 10:00 PM
thehulk
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason1415$
I had the oil and spark plugs change in my 2013 427 anniversary. Car has 4000 miles. The car started over heating , I took it back to the machanic right away. He informed me that the engine has a major problem. Whants to start to take the engine apart to find out whats wrong. Please give me some feed back. Thanks
I'd want to know what the problem is, and how he came to that conclusion. Immediately.

Overheating isn't exactly a major problem, though it can lead to one. If it just started over heating there isn't a major problem unless you ran the car for an extended period of time @240 degrees +.

Taking apart the engine, to find out whats wrong for an overheating car? lol seriously wtf. Tell us what the car was doing that may of caused overheating... are you racing it? Did you over rev it? Did they forget to put oil in it? Need more information.
Old 07-18-2023, 03:05 PM
Jason1415$
4th Gear

Originally Posted by thehulk
I'd want to know what the problem is, and how he came to that conclusion. Immediately.

Overheating isn't exactly a major problem, though it can lead to one. If it just started over heating there isn't a major problem unless you ran the car for an extended period of time @240 degrees +.

Taking apart the engine, to find out whats wrong for an overheating car? lol seriously wtf. Tell us what the car was doing that may of caused overheating... are you racing it? Did you over rev it? Did they forget to put oil in it? Need more information.
This started with the engine running rough, there was one spark not working, we deceded to replace them all and change the oil . then the car started over heating the mechanic says that the exaust is geeting into the engine. They did a die test.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:18 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,319 Likes on 890 Posts

Sounds like your mechanic is an idiot or trying to scam you.

Find a new mechanic.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:18 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Did something happen before these issues were noticed? over rev or something?

My 1996 LT4 engine failed at 4000 miles back in 1997 and was covered under warranty. So anything is possible with a low mileage engine. Another reason NOT to let the car sit... I would fix and drive it like you stole it.

Old 07-20-2023, 07:35 AM
Jason1415$
4th Gear

Car was never over rev. The car is not used a lot I bought about it five years ago with 300 miles on it.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:07 AM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I would recommend you get a second opinion before allowing that shop to disassemble your engine. In my opinion the better test would be a leak down test on each cylinder. Introduce compressed air and measure the differential between supply pressure and how much pressure the cylinder can hold at static condition. If you hear air leakage at the throttle body you have a leaking intake valve; at the exhaust tail pipe you have leaking exhaust valve; at the valve cover breather you have leaking rings.

With your low mile, 10 year old car there is a chance the piston ring(s) maybe gummed? That could be corrected with a small amount of Marvel Oil down each cylinder. Don't jump to conclusions too quickly. Could be a lot of unwarranted expense.
Old 07-20-2023, 06:50 PM
Jason1415$
4th Gear

Thanks
Old 07-20-2023, 07:37 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 787 Likes on 542 Posts

chevy406 makes a VERY GOOD Point. Before we tear engines down - we do some diagnostic work....

So - let's start from the beginning.... Was the car running fine before the spark plug change, or was there a misfire ??? Was the car overheating at all before this spark plug change and oil change ?

Did the mechanic do a compression test or a leakdown test ?

The "dye test" you mention may be where they take a sample of engine coolant and see if there are combustion gasses present in the coolant. If there are combustion gassed present - then there is a leak between the combustion chamber and the cooling system - it's pretty much a certainty that as a minimum - the cylinder heads need to come off (it could be a blown head gasket, or it could be a cracked head or block).

If the dye test is what I describe above - then your mechanic is correct in wanting to pull the cylinder heads.

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 427

Quick Reply: 2013 427