C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new clutch balance ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 10:53 PM
protourgsx
Heel & Toe

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default new clutch balance ?

hello all
Im having a new mcloed rxt clutch and flywheel installed in my 06 z06 , does this assembly need to be balanced ? I bought them separately.
thanks
Old 02-23-2023, 03:43 PM
666lisa
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by protourgsx
hello all
Im having a new mcloed rxt clutch and flywheel installed in my 06 z06 , does this assembly need to be balanced ? I bought them separately.
thanks
No, Seen Countless clutch changes with no issues. I did the same RST and cant remember what other brand flywheel, but or asking does it need balancing i and many friend had no problems. As long there bough new
Old 02-24-2023, 01:52 AM
GettnBetter
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The C6 Z06 is dynamically balanced at the factory. Base models don't get that treatment. The entire rotating assembly was balanced including the engine and trans as a single assembled unit. You will feel new vibrations without any balancing, especially at higher revs. If your shop can get it balance matched to the original parts, it's worth it to have that done if the original parts were actually the originals from the factory. If the original flywheel assembly isn't still available, balancing the new parts won't be as effective, the new part balance needs to match the old.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:01 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 153 Posts

I used to sell the RXT and RST among other McLeod clutches. All clutches are neutrally balanced so no balancing required.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:52 AM
Bikeman613
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMJim
I used to sell the RXT and RST among other McLeod clutches. All clutches are neutrally balanced so no balancing required.
If you call McLeod they will tell you that they are NOT balanced together.

The individual parts are balanced separately with a tolerance. With that said if they happen to put the clutch together with the high tolerance all on one side. (they would have no way to know)

Then the balance of the clutch could be out of overall spec. So balancing the assembly is recommended from McLeod.

I found that very frustrating as it was not mentioned until I called back and asked about it.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:11 PM
gnx7
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I sell McLeod also and have had many balanced as a precaution. Most 90% are fine... but some need a little balancing. It's a "budget" clutch with stamped steel pressure plate that holds big power. I sell tons without any balancing..... I'm just more cautious about eliminating vibration from something not easy to access.

Get notified of new replies

To new clutch balance ?

Quick Reply: new clutch balance ?