C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve dropped

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 10:31 PM
FastEddie28
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Valve dropped

Hello my Corvette forum ppl hope everyone is having a better day than me lol. So today I was replacing my valve seals and springs was doing a good job one valve dropped. I couldn't use compressed air due to not having a compressor so I was using a wire hook so now Im looking for suggestions without having to pull the heads out. I was thinking of removing the headers and with a magnet fish it back up... Please help me out with solutions thank you
Old 01-04-2023, 10:39 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Do you know which valve came out? Int/Exh? I'm not sure the exhaust port is big enough to get a valve out. You might be able to fish it out of the intake port if you remove the intake...piston is hopefully at the top of the bore. Good luck getting it back in the guide hole though...especially without removing the head. Bad news man...probably far faster to just pull the head.
The following users liked this post:
FastEddie28 (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 11:13 PM
FastEddie28
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
Do you know which valve came out? Int/Exh? I'm not sure the exhaust port is big enough to get a valve out. You might be able to fish it out of the intake port if you remove the intake...piston is hopefully at the top of the bore. Good luck getting it back in the guide hole though...especially without removing the head. Bad news man...probably far faster to just pull the head.
​​​​​​Intake valve on cylinder 4 , yeah I'll probably just do that thanks for your intell
Old 01-05-2023, 06:43 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,319 Likes on 890 Posts

You will need to remove the head. Its really not that bad of a job. But make sure that you do it correctly.

You will need a new head gasket, head bolts. I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend getting the ARP head bolt thread chaser/cleaner kit. It has 2 thread chasers for both the large and small head bolts.

And lastly, make sure that the head bolt holes are clean and completely free and dry of oil and coolant. When I have changed heads, I first very, very carefully scrap the head and block surfaces with a sharp untility knife blade held at a very shallow angle. I then vacuum away any dirt, residue. I then use cans of compressed air with the straw on the end pushed all the way down into the bolt holes to blow out debris and liquids (place a paper towel over the opening at the same time so it does not fly everywhere). I then use long cotton swabs in each hole to sop up any liquid. I use a new swab in the hole until it comes out dry (no oil or coolant). Then I run the ARP thread cleaners in each hole very carefully. Blow the holes out again thoroughly. I put long cotton swabs in the holes again mainly to verify that there is no liquids.

That may seem excessive but you want the bolt holes to be super clean. It will ensure proper torque on the bolts and make it easier to torque them. And making sure that there are no liquids in the holes will prevent you from cracking the block.

As for changing valve seals and preventing the valve from falling into the cylinder, I have always used the Top Dead Center method. You basically put the piston at TDC on each cylinder as you change the seals or springs. The piston prevents the valves from falling as the piston is all the way at the top.

Look up on LS1HOWTO.com in either a valve spring or cam change writeup for the TDC method.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:28 AM
slow04cobra
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

When i didn't have compressed air i just vacuum tubing on thru the spark plug hole and turned the engine over til the engine won't turn anymore. No chance of the valve dropping ever. Dou do need to make sure you remove both rockers so that the tubing doesn't get caught between the valve and the valve seat.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:07 AM
Ogre39
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by slow04cobra
When i didn't have compressed air i just vacuum tubing on thru the spark plug hole and turned the engine over til the engine won't turn anymore. No chance of the valve dropping ever. Dou do need to make sure you remove both rockers so that the tubing doesn't get caught between the valve and the valve seat.
You can also use soft, flexible rope that will fit through the spark plug hole instead of vacuum tubing. Put as much rope in the cylinder before you bring the piston up as close to TDC as you can.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ogre39:
JackDidley (01-05-2023), lilcuda (01-05-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 11:28 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by FastEddie28
Hello my Corvette forum ppl hope everyone is having a better day than me lol. So today I was replacing my valve seals and springs was doing a good job one valve dropped. I couldn't use compressed air due to not having a compressor so I was using a wire hook so now Im looking for suggestions without having to pull the heads out. I was thinking of removing the headers and with a magnet fish it back up... Please help me out with solutions thank you
With Ogre39
I hope you can fish it out but in future if you don't have a compressor use a piece of sash cord (cotton rope) or nylon rope. Pull the plugs and feed the rope into the plug hole (a foot or so) then manually bar the motor over untill the rope is compressed. Never drop a valve this way. I have a compressor and still do it this way. Even with a compressor if you hit the valve while compressing the spring to reinstall the locks it will still drop a valve.

Last edited by GMJim; 01-05-2023 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 11:28 PM
chuck dominick
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FastEddie28
​​​​​​Intake valve on cylinder 4 , yeah I'll probably just do that thanks for your intell
When we dropped a valve we removed the intake manifold. Fished a magnet in the port and grabbed the valve and pulled it up very gingerly.
Old 01-15-2023, 06:15 PM
1Hotrodz
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 160 Posts

This has to be frustrating as hell.
Depending on where the piston is situated in the bore, its possible to remove the spark plug and pull the valve back up into the head. Here again if the piston was at TDC it should be fairly easy, but if the valve dropped completely out of the guide then you could try to fish it up thru the guide, but I think you need to have the hands of a surgeon. I thought of a magnet, but I think the valves are stainless steel. A previous poster suggested removing the intake which would give you a better shot at retrieving it. Good Luck and just take you time!

Get notified of new replies

To Valve dropped

Quick Reply: Valve dropped