C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help! GS Vert top no workie!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 01:24 PM
rssshen vette
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Need Help! GS Vert top no workie!

Hey guys and gals, I need some help figuring out what is causing my folding top from working as it should. I hope there's someone that has dealt with this problem and found the fix to the problem.
have a 2011 GS vert and the top will not go up or down. I have no DIC message referring to a malfunction with the top. I've check for trouble code using my Tech2win and there were no current codes and no codes in the history. So I re-index the windows, but that didn't have any positive affect. When I press the button to put the top down, I can hear the motor working and it runs for about 20-30 seconds which I think is the length of time the top goes through the complete top down cycle. If I immediately try to put the top down manually, it will not move because of the hydraulic pressure in the lines. So that tell me the pump is working. After waiting about 5 minutes or so the pressure bleeds down and I'm able to manually put the top down. The same process occurs to raise/close the top. There is one thing that I see in the Tech2win fold top input function test and that is the "Window switch too high" I don't understand why is this showing up in the input test and the windows index is functional. I haven't found any useable information in my internet searches. Hopefully someone here has some info on this. TIA

Old 12-19-2022, 04:04 PM
C6VetteLover
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by rssshen vette
Hey guys and gals, I need some help figuring out what is causing my folding top from working as it should. I hope there's someone that has dealt with this problem and found the fix to the problem.have a 2011 GS vert and the top will not go up or down. I have no DIC message referring to a malfunction with the top. I've check for trouble code using my Tech2win and there were no current codes and no codes in the history. So I re-index the windows, but that didn't have any positive affect. When I press the button to put the top down, I can hear the motor working and it runs for about 20-30 seconds which I think is the length of time the top goes through the complete top down cycle. If I immediately try to put the top down manually, it will not move because of the hydraulic pressure in the lines. So that tell me the pump is working. After waiting about 5 minutes or so the pressure bleeds down and I'm able to manually put the top down. The same process occurs to raise/close the top. There is one thing that I see in the Tech2win fold top input function test and that is the "Window switch too high" I don't understand why is this showing up in the input test and the windows index is functional. I haven't found any useable information in my internet searches. Hopefully someone here has some info on this. TIA
I belive there is a micro switch by the top of the windshield that tells the car if the top is latched, could be a faulty switch?
Old 12-19-2022, 04:58 PM
Redsoxnation
Racer

Received 260 Likes on 140 Posts

There is a micro switch on the drivers side of the windshield header. The top has a pin that presses against a small piece of metal that presses against the switch, the top cover of the switch is easy to remove. I tried to move that little piece of metal and broke it, at this point I could not find the part number. However, if you unlatch the top a message should appear on the DIC stating ‘top not secure’ that would indicate to me that switch is working.

There is a process to manually lower the top:
lower the windows at least a few inches
unlatch the top
on the passenger side lift the top near the windshield header this will cause the rear of the top to come up
on the passenger side place your hand under the tonneau cover near the center there is a wire that you can pull to release the tonneau
on the passenger side near the rear compartment separator lift the carpet and the hydraulic pump is there.
there will be an Allen wrench use that to unscrew the hex screw counter clockwise one turn and this will relieve the pressure
you can then lower the top

there are multiple mentions on the process in the forum

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help! GS Vert top no workie!

Quick Reply: Need Help! GS Vert top no workie!