C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear creaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 01:52 PM
shutout
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Rear creaking noise

2011 6m GS 18,450 miles. Drove home from Dealer when I bought it. 4 1/2 drive no issues. First thing I did, on the quick jack changed the oil. Drove 2 weeks, brakes squealing. On the quick jack, changed brake pads to dura last gold, painted rotors. Squeal gone, but now a Creaking noise going over bumps. Changed end-links (Very loose), greased ball joints, axle nuts ( loose). Noise gone. 2 weeks later noise returns. Really bad when turning slowly. Changed differential fluid did 100 figure eights, noise still there.
It will creak when I push on the driver side rear. But only sometimes. The noise started after I did the brakes. What could I have done to cause this? The brakes are straight forward. Not sure where to do next.
Old 11-05-2022, 01:59 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Sounds like sway bar end links or bushings if just pushing on car body side to side or shock noise up and down?

Any chance its a wheel bearing issue?
Old 11-05-2022, 02:04 PM
shutout
Racer

I changed the end links. Doesn't sound like a bearing. It's an up and down noise when I push on it. It really creaks going into my driveway on a slant and turn.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:09 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

I would look at exhaust hangers, perhaps bushings on the sway bar need lube or replacement, recheck if bolts on endlinks need tightened or something with the shock mount or shock itself.

Get a friend to move the car up and down and get under there with a pipe on different spots to listen for where it is louder.

most likely it is sway bar related. Perhaps just loosen the swaybar mount bolts and test to see if it stops as a test then you know it is bushing related on the bar.

Last edited by Got uid0; 11-05-2022 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:19 PM
shutout
Racer

I'll check the sway bar bushings next. Maybe a good spray lubricant will help. Could be driver side shock, but with only 18k on it, I wouldn't think so. Maybe age not the mileage.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:27 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by shutout
I'll check the sway bar bushings next. Maybe a good spray lubricant will help. Could be driver side shock, but with only 18k on it, I wouldn't think so. Maybe age not the mileage.

Old 11-05-2022, 02:36 PM
shutout
Racer

I'll check the sway bar bushings next, that might be it.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:30 AM
robert.m.kalis
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

I had a similar creaking noise on a different vehicle (914).
I jacked the rear of the car up and found with the transmission in neutral and the parking brake released, I could not rotate the rear wheels? I found the rear brakes were incorrectly adjusted. Is it possible that your emergency brake is now out of adjustment since the rear brake job?
Try to cycle the E brake up and down to full extents 3 times and see if it helps. I could have sworn the creaking was coming from my suspension but it wasn't, it was the rear brakes. Good luck and let us know what finally resolves your creaking.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:47 AM
shutout
Racer

Wow, I never thought of that. I will give it a try today.
Old 11-06-2022, 01:45 PM
shutout
Racer

Cycling the e-bake did not work. It kind of sounds like something is binding. I will put the car up on the quickjack and pull the rear driver side wheel and pull the caliper.
Old 11-12-2022, 11:35 AM
Racergirl2012
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m having a similar problem with my C6 GS. It was in the shop for some very light cosmetic repair for WEEKS! Park Chevrolet, to be exact. They f’ed up my paint job, but that’s another story for a different day.

Ever since getting my car back, I hear a “crack” or a “popping” noise coming from underneath the car. It does not do it all the time. It’s a one time pop or crack sound, not continuous like a CV joint. Not a click like a typical bad CV joint. But a Pop like something is settling or something is popping into or out of place.

I drive it 1-2 times a week and at least one out of 2 times, I hear it. It’s loud and seems to come from a different place under the car each time

The first time I heard it was when I was turning my wheel hard to make a turn. The second time, I was pulling out of my driveway and turning my wheel. Third time, was going straight down a road after stopping at a stop light. Today, heard it while pulling away from a gas pump, turning only slightly.

While I can’t blame it squarely on Park Chevrolet, I have my suspicions and can say that a bunch of miles where put on my car while in their care. And they not only scratched my car but also CLEAR COATED over the scratches, noob jerks!!! Who does that? I can’t even wet sand that crap out hardly!! Insurance is paying to correct that issue.

Previously, I only trusted Dub with my car. Now that he is gone, sadly, I have now completely wired my car inside and out with several cameras that record everywhere and an app w/ geo fencing and a limiter, HA!
I’ll know if a technician so much as farts sideways in my car from now on, let alone take it on a joy ride!

Joy ride, HA! I’ll set the limiter at 70 while in any shops from now on! Unplug it??? I’ll be notified and on their lot demanding my keys immediately!

Last edited by Racergirl2012; 11-12-2022 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-12-2022, 02:02 PM
shutout
Racer

Sorry to hear your problems with the Chevy dealership. I always hesitate to bring my car there.
You're describing pretty much the same sound I am hearing. My mechanic said to change the differential oil, which I did but the noise persists. I talked to my mechanic, and he was pretty adamant that it was the fluid in the differential. He said drive it for a week or two to allow the oil to get into the clutch packs. After a week the sound has gotten a little better, but still noticeable. Tomorrow I will pull the driver side rear tire and check the caliper and emergency brake. I will also spray everything with Silicone and see what happens.
Old 11-12-2022, 02:50 PM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 515 Posts

I changed my differential fluid this summer. Put in the GM fluid that has friction modifier for limited slip differential. Immediately there began a creaking noise from the rear. After a month or two of that, I drained 4 ounces of differential fluid and added 4 ounces of friction modifier (It comes in a 4 ounce bottle). Creaking noise went away immediately, and I have noticed no ill effects, but I don't track my car either.
Old 11-12-2022, 03:06 PM
shutout
Racer

Originally Posted by ClothSeats
I changed my differential fluid this summer. Put in the GM fluid that has friction modifier for limited slip differential. Immediately there began a creaking noise from the rear. After a month or two of that, I drained 4 ounces of differential fluid and added 4 ounces of friction modifier (It comes in a 4 ounce bottle). Creaking noise went away immediately, and I have noticed no ill effects, but I don't track my car either.
The gear oil I added AC Delco 75w-90 GL-5 has the friction modifier in it already. It specifically says do not add modifier, it is already in the oil. Maybe there's not enough modifier added? I don't track my car either.
Old 11-12-2022, 03:24 PM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 515 Posts

The gear oil I added AC Delco 75w-90 GL-5 has the friction modifier in it already. It specifically says do not add modifier, it is already in the oil. Maybe there's not enough modifier added? I don't track my car either.
Yeah, maybe there's not enough modifier in it. That seems weird, being that it is GM differential fluid for limited slip differentials. I used the same stuff. Anyway, no ill effects for me after adding the friction modifier. If you are apprehensive about adding friction modifier, you don't have to add the whole 4 ounces, but then you might not get the full benefit either.
Old 11-12-2022, 03:56 PM
shutout
Racer

Originally Posted by ClothSeats
Yeah, maybe there's not enough modifier in it. That seems weird, being that it is GM differential fluid for limited slip differentials. I used the same stuff. Anyway, no ill effects for me after adding the friction modifier. If you are apprehensive about adding friction modifier, you don't have to add the whole 4 ounces, but then you might not get the full benefit either.
I will definitely look into it. The creak is driving me crazy.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:01 PM
DriveFastEatGas
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will definitely look into it. The creak is driving me crazy.
I have the horrible creak, it drives me insane and gets worse in the rain.
I think I've tracked it down to rear inner tie rods. If you give yours a tug and hear the creak that might be it too.
The following users liked this post:
Racergirl2012 (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 06:12 AM
shutout
Racer

Originally Posted by DriveFastEatGas
I have the horrible creak, it drives me insane and gets worse in the rain.
I think I've tracked it down to rear inner tie rods. If you give yours a tug and hear the creak that might be it too.
I'll give it a try this weekend. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Racergirl2012 (11-16-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 06:52 AM
shutout
Racer

Update. It turns out it was the rear differential fluid. The more I drove the car the more the noise lessened. After a good 2-hour drive, I went into an empty parking lot and did a bunch of slow figure eight's and it's completely quiet now.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear creaking noise

Quick Reply: Rear creaking noise