C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yank SS3200 vs SS3600

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 01:25 AM
dicky
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
This! When I bought mine way back in '04, Yank advertised something called stall ratio. IIRC, the higher the stall ratio, the "tighter" the converter. So, knowing I was going with a 600hp N/A 427, I got the one with the higher ratio. Ive never been sorry........
I’m no stall expert but I always thought the opposite. The higher the str the looser it feels. I used to have a yank 3600 with a 2.5 str and it felt pretty loose compared to my 3800 Fti which is something like 1.8 I think.

btw the yank worked damn good for what little power I had. I had a full bolt on ls2 and put down 397 RWHP and could pull 1.48 to 1.55 60’s all day.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:13 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by dicky
I’m no stall expert but I always thought the opposite. The higher the str the looser it feels. I used to have a yank 3600 with a 2.5 str and it felt pretty loose compared to my 3800 Fti which is something like 1.8 I think.

btw the yank worked damn good for what little power I had. I had a full bolt on ls2 and put down 397 RWHP and could pull 1.48 to 1.55 60’s all day.
You could be right. As I said, it's been 17 years, and I did say IIRC!! Anyway, I do know when I bought the 3,200 stall Yank, I asked them for whatever stall ratio would make it feel "tighter", so I bought the tightest 3,200 stall they made, be it high, or low stall ratio.......
Old 07-02-2022, 08:58 AM
Omega Doom
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 08txbase
roger that 🫡 looks like I’ll need to open up the checkbook again. Thank you for the reply
if you daily this car then go with the MT SS DR if you dont then go Hoosier but regardless keep us updated with track results if you dont mind
Old 07-02-2022, 09:00 AM
jleews6
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a ss4000 in my 08 and it worked awesome. It was a little loose for me on the street but not terrible. The problem I had was we couldnt get it to shift from first to second without hanging. The best 60 was in the low 1.4s and the best ET was 11.0 @123. The mods were TSP headers, Vera ram, converter and MT drag radials on WS6 wheels. I wish we had more time to mess with the tune because I think it would have run 10.80s. This was with a tune that my friend sent me with no revisions or anything. I sold the car to a friend shortly after and was nearly killed in it when he lost it.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:17 AM
Omega Doom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jleews6
I had a ss4000 in my 08 and it worked awesome. It was a little loose for me on the street but not terrible. The problem I had was we couldnt get it to shift from first to second without hanging. The best 60 was in the low 1.4s and the best ET was 11.0 @123. The mods were TSP headers, Vera ram, converter and MT drag radials on WS6 wheels. I wish we had more time to mess with the tune because I think it would have run 10.80s. This was with a tune that my friend sent me with no revisions or anything. I sold the car to a friend shortly after and was nearly killed in it when he lost it.
thats a great 60ft and ET and i bet if you had resolved that 1-2 shift flare you indeed would have got that 10.8
Old 07-04-2022, 01:55 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 350 Posts

I'm having second thoughts about moving forward with the converter in this car. I don't think I planned far enough ahead. The converter will lead to needing drag radials and there are limited wheel/tire options for the C6 widebody cars. I also love the 12" wide wheels and don't really want to go narrow either. I love the Yank converter I had in my previous 2000 Camaro but I'm feeling like my current pristine Grand Sport with 15k miles isn't the right car to head down that road in. Yes, it seems I'm getting cold feet.

Edited to say:
I never drove my previous Camaro with the SS3600 and street tires. I installed Toyo TQ's at the same time as the Yank SS3600.

Last edited by rybern; 07-04-2022 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:42 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by rybern
I'm having second thoughts about moving forward with the converter in this car. I don't think I planned far enough ahead. The converter will lead to needing drag radials and there are limited wheel/tire options for the C6 widebody cars. I also love the 12" wide wheels and don't really want to go narrow either. I love the Yank converter I had in my previous 2000 Camaro but I'm feeling like my current pristine Grand Sport with 15k miles isn't the right car to head down that road in. Yes, it seems I'm getting cold feet.

Edited to say:
I never drove my previous Camaro with the SS3600 and street tires. I installed Toyo TQ's at the same time as the Yank SS3600.
When you go to the track, put on the 275/40x17 Hoosiers on C5 Z06 front wheels. Take 'em off for everything else. It's just part of the fun involved.
The following users liked this post:
She_Thicc (07-14-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 06:16 AM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
When you go to the track, put on the 275/40x17 Hoosiers on C5 Z06 front wheels. Take 'em off for everything else. It's just part of the fun involved.
That does seem to be the popular thing to do.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:57 AM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 408 Likes on 306 Posts

Edited to say:

Ryan, you could always run the stock wheels on the street with Toyo R888's in the back to keep the wide theme going, and just swap out spare wheels/drag radials for track use. I haven't been able to find OEM C5Z fronts anywhere myself though.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:11 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by slowtealz28
Ryan, you could always run the stock wheels on the street with Toyo R888's in the back to keep the wide theme going, and just swap out spare wheels/drag radials for track use. I haven't been able to find OEM C5Z fronts anywhere myself though.
C5 Z06 fronts aren't the only wheels that work well for drag strip use. I've used C4 A-molds that are 1# heavier. The "salad spinners" and "sawblades" add a little extra weight and are cheap, if you prefer that style.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:55 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by slowtealz28
I kind of like the idea of keeping my AS3+ ZP's for touring. I'm sort of on the lookout for a cheap set of OEM GS rears but the C4 ZR1 rears would probably be a better option due to taller sidewall. There was two 325/30r19 ET street SS's with 2021 date codes for sale on here several weeks ago for $400(for both).... I wish I would have bought them.

C5 Z06 fronts aren't the only wheels that work well for drag strip use. I've used C4 A-molds that are 1# heavier. The "salad spinners" and "sawblades" add a little extra weight and are cheap, if you prefer that style.
It probably wont surprise you that I'm not willing to go with sawblades or salad spinners to pick up a few tenths.
What would your guess the E/T difference should be on the following. Let's say I run a 11.6 1.6 60' with a Yank PAS3400 with MT et streets mounted on 19 x 12's. What would you guess I'd gain by swapping to 275 45 17's?

GS rear wheel weighs 26.5 lbs
325/30r19 ET street SS. 34 lbs
Old 07-08-2022, 10:49 PM
Omega Doom
Burning Brakes

I kind of like the idea of keeping my AS3+ ZP's for touring. I'm sort of on the lookout for a cheap set of OEM GS rears but the C4 ZR1 rears would probably be a better option due to taller sidewall. There was two 325/30r19 ET street SS's with 2021 date codes for sale on here several weeks ago for $400(for both).... I wish I would have bought them.

It probably wont surprise you that I'm not willing to go with sawblades or salad spinners to pick up a few tenths.
What would your guess the E/T difference should be on the following. Let's say I run a 11.6 1.6 60' with a Yank PAS3400 with MT et streets mounted on 19 x 12's. What would you guess I'd gain by swapping to 275 45 17's?

GS rear wheel weighs 26.5 lbs
325/30r19 ET street SS. 34 lbs
well rotational weight is another way of dropping ETs so ill guess a tenth or maybe two depending on overall weight you would be suprised and just for the heck of it RPM just did a youtube vid about a GS A6 with just headers and an A&A kit and on 9-10lbs of boost and pump 93 gas it made 605rwhp can you imagine that much HP along with that converter i bet you could run 9s and still be a dependable docile daily driver if needed
Old 07-09-2022, 05:56 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
well rotational weight is another way of dropping ETs so ill guess a tenth or maybe two depending on overall weight you would be suprised and just for the heck of it RPM just did a youtube vid about a GS A6 with just headers and an A&A kit and on 9-10lbs of boost and pump 93 gas it made 605rwhp can you imagine that much HP along with that converter i bet you could run 9s and still be a dependable docile daily driver if needed
9's sounds a bit overly optimistic but I suppose it all starts with a dream. Heck, when I purchased my first Vette a little over a year ago, I just wanted unto the 11's. My converter alone might just dip into 11's.... even with the street tires.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:56 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

9's sounds a bit overly optimistic but I suppose it all starts with a dream. Heck, when I purchased my first Vette a little over a year ago, I just wanted unto the 11's. My converter alone might just dip into 11's.... even with the street tires.
So what are your real goals?
low 60' times?
10 or 11 sec 1/4 mi?
High mph 1/4 mi?
reliable street use?
"X" hp?
all of the above?
easy/min maintenance?
Old 07-10-2022, 02:17 AM
Eshoremd
Melting Slicks

Received 481 Likes on 289 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'm here for the results. I had a 98 z28 with a big cam, 4000 vig and 373 rear and absolutely loved that car.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:15 AM
rybern
Melting Slicks

So what are your real goals?
low 60' times?
10 or 11 sec 1/4 mi?
High mph 1/4 mi?
reliable street use?
"X" hp?
all of the above?
easy/min maintenance?
I suppose I just want a little more excitement. I do like the thought of having 550hp to the wheels and I do like the thought of owning a 10 second car. But reliability is very important to me. I've ordered a Dragy to monitor my progress without having to go to the dragstrip.

Originally Posted by Eshoremd
I'm here for the results. I had a 98 z28 with a big cam, 4000 vig and 373 rear and absolutely loved that car.
Its interesting how many of us started with Gen 4 Camaros. I still miss my 2000 Camaro SS too. I still think they are cool cars and I've considered another one.... but I feel like I'd be going backward from the Vette.
The following users liked this post:
Eshoremd (07-10-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 03:28 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

I suppose I just want a little more excitement. I do like the thought of having 550hp to the wheels and I do like the thought of owning a 10 second car. But reliability is very important to me. I've ordered a Dragy to monitor my progress without having to go to the dragstrip.
1. Reliability, aka risk of failure due to non-OEM parts or mods, decreases more quickly as the rate of internal engine mods increases. Just tuning errors alone can be catastrophic. Once you remove the bolts from the oil pan, the valve covers, or the timing case cover to make internal changes, your reliability will suffer.
2. You can get a dyno sheet showing 550 HP and photoshop your name and car on it, if you want something to put on your dash at car shows. You can also get a 10 second timeslip at the track if you line up with someone who actually runs 10's. However, to satisfy yourself without violating reliability will take either lots of $$$ or dedication of personal time, effort, and education.
3. The Dragy may be of some help from 40 or 50 MPH to ~ 130, but of no real consequence compared to a launch on a properly prepped dragstrip with drag radials.
4. For your "excitement" quest, I'd suggest a 3600 stall Yank.
5. For your 10 second quest, I'd suggest adding 1.75" headers, DR's, and learning how to use HP tuners to tweak the initial tune the converter installer would and should provide.
6. For your 550 HP quest, I'd suggest adding a centi-blower installed and tuned by the provider to be compatible with your other mods. Probably should switch to 1.875 or 2" headers too.

If you look at the C6 1/4 mi results, you'll find that nearly all the top times were run by those who either did their own tuning or had a top tuner do it for them. Recording/reviewing scans of passes, comparing them with timeslips, and tweaking the tune, is the key to going quick.

I've had really good drivetrain reliability for 40K miles with a 3600 stall and another 45K after I swapped to a 4000. BTW, I never removed any of the aforementioned engine bolts.

Get notified of new replies

To Yank SS3200 vs SS3600

Old 07-10-2022, 07:00 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

1. Reliability, aka risk of failure due to non-OEM parts or mods, decreases more quickly as the rate of internal engine mods increases. Just tuning errors alone can be catastrophic. Once you remove the bolts from the oil pan, the valve covers, or the timing case cover to make internal changes, your reliability will suffer.
2. You can get a dyno sheet showing 550 HP and photoshop your name and car on it, if you want something to put on your dash at car shows. You can also get a 10 second timeslip at the track if you line up with someone who actually runs 10's. However, to satisfy yourself without violating reliability will take either lots of $$$ or dedication of personal time, effort, and education.
3. The Dragy may be of some help from 40 or 50 MPH to ~ 130, but of no real consequence compared to a launch on a properly prepped dragstrip with drag radials.
5. For your 10 second quest, I'd suggest adding 1.75" headers, DR's, and learning how to use HP tuners to tweak the initial tune the converter installer would and should provide.
6. For your 550 HP quest, I'd suggest adding a centi-blower installed and tuned by the provider to be compatible with your other mods. Probably should switch to 1.875 or 2" headers too.

If you look at the C6 1/4 mi results, you'll find that nearly all the top times were run by those who either did their own tuning or had a top tuner do it for them. Recording/reviewing scans of passes, comparing them with timeslips, and tweaking the tune, is the key to going quick.

I've had really good drivetrain reliability for 40K miles with a 3600 stall and another 45K after I swapped to a 4000. BTW, I never removed any of the aforementioned engine bolts.
Tom, as always I appreciate the wisdom you offer from the perspective you have as someone who has had his fair share of passes down the dragstrip. We could count my passes on all my fingers... well and toes. If I could just learn from your experience to keep from making my own mistakes. 😉

I seems I've become emotionally invested in this project and have conflicting objectives with the car. I haven't even done the converter yet and I'm already thinking I should do a Centri blower before the converter after I added up the cost of getting full benefit of the converter. In my case, Dave at Yank feels the PAS3400 is a better choice due to the strong chance I'll SC. He said it's a slightly tighter SS3600.

I do have an interest in tweeking my tune once I get a solid tune after the converter install that also includes auto upshift.

I have zero interest in faking someone into believing I have a 10 second car or a 600hp car. Any achievement I obtain will be very small compared to what others have done. I don't have to have the best, fastest or even the cleanest car. I enjoy having a nice car but ironically I don't enjoy drawing attention to myself or being the center of attention. If I do achieve 550whp or get into the 10's, it will be a special achievement between me and the car. Yes, I will share the info but with no expectation that it change how anyone feels about me or the car.

Last edited by rybern; 07-15-2022 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:48 PM
jleews6
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
thats a great 60ft and ET and i bet if you had resolved that 1-2 shift flare you indeed would have got that 10.8
Thanks. I believe it would have.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:29 PM
rybern
Melting Slicks

This statement has really stood out with me over the past few days. I have doubled down on the converter and looking forward to getting it installed. No word on shipping yet.

I've reminded myself that my concern with traction with the converter and street tires can be resolved with throttle manipulation. This in itself will bring forth some excitement.

Quick Reply: Yank SS3200 vs SS3600