C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade base suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 10:59 AM
ncnmra
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Upgrade base suspension

I've been doing a lot of reading, and I'm starting to confuse myself. I have a 2013 Base C6. I find the suspension a little soft for spirited driving. I would like to have it a bit more sporty, without overly sacrificing ride quality. I have upgraded the sway bars to Z51. This helped keep the car a bit more planted, but it still feels a bit too soft.

I have read about the following options:
1) Upgrade to Z51 shocks (FE3 suspension package).
2) Upgrade to Z06 shocks (FE5 package?)
3) Upgrade to Bilstein B6 shocks

Option 3 is the most expensive. I found a good deal on option 1 from Rock Auto.

I don't want to upgrade the springs at this point. Can someone explain to me the differences and benefits of each approach?
Old 09-17-2020, 12:32 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

I've been down this road... I'd go with the Bilstein B6 if doing it all over again and spirited highway driving was my objective. The B6 (or B8) are not much more money then the OEM's and they are a much better shock all the way around. If you want to stiffen the ride up alot go with the B8's.

FWIW - I'm currently running Bilstein DRM's and they would be to stiff for most people and highway driving in my humble opinion.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:07 PM
ncnmra
Racer

Thank you! Yes, this does help. I read somewhere that the Z51 OEM shocks are made by Bilstein. I found the OEM to be about 1/2 price on RockAuto compared to the Bilstein.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:10 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,342 Likes on 950 Posts

I'm running Z51 sways (bought new) and Z06 shocks (bought used on the forum) on my 2013 narrow body. Tightened things up nicely. It's perfect to me. And...not a whole lot of money.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:19 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Last time I looked Bilstein were only $100 more than OEM. Doug Rippie Motorsports usually has a great price, also check Tire Rack.

The OEM Z06 shocks will be an up grade from base and stiffen the suspension. If you're on a tight budget nothing wrong with this approach. But there is a reason when many Z06 owners replace their shocks they upgrade with Bilstein ;-)
The following users liked this post:
wideglideleon (09-22-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 04:35 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
Last time I looked Bilstein were only $100 more than OEM. Doug Rippie Motorsports usually has a great price, also check Tire Rack.

The OEM Z06 shocks will be an up grade from base and stiffen the suspension. If you're on a tight budget nothing wrong with this approach. But there is a reason when many Z06 owners replace their shocks they upgrade with Bilstein ;-)
I know my Z06 shocks will need to be replaced eventually. I was going to buy a C8, but, the more I think about it, the lack of a manual transmission option is a deal killer for me. So, if I replace my Z06 shocks with Bilstein's, where will I see improvements?
Old 09-17-2020, 05:15 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm a big fan of the huge LG sway bars. They're much larger than any of the EOM bars.

Won't effect the ride quality, body roll will become imperceptible, and can be installed easily without regard to shock tuning, etc.
(check your bushings too)
Old 09-17-2020, 05:30 PM
ncnmra
Racer

I'm leaning to go with the B6 ("HD") shocks. Just need to find a good deal in Canada
Old 09-17-2020, 11:19 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Originally Posted by old motorhead
So, if I replace my Z06 shocks with Bilstein's, where will I see improvements?
The Bilstein handle as good or better than the Z06 shocks and the ride is smoother.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:51 AM
bigron1212
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

So I have a 08 base and have upgraded the suspension and here are my thoughts. The stock suspension is awful.

First I upgraded to Z51 sway's with poly bushings and Moog Endlinks. Next I installed Bilstein B6 shocks. After 4k miles I wanted a more firmer ride (I live in Michigan) so I went ahead and installed B8's.

The B6's rode very smooth but the B8's will make your base feel more like corvette then a Cadillac per say.

Next upgrade the motor and trans mounts with Hinson motor sports mounts. Totally transformed the car. I am also running Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires.

Good Luck.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:11 AM
Chris_G
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by ncnmra
I'm leaning to go with the B6 ("HD") shocks. Just need to find a good deal in Canada
I'm looking for a B8 deal here in the US.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:45 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
The Bilstein handle as good or better than the Z06 shocks and the ride is smoother.
I'm pretty pleased with the ride and performance of the Z51 bars and Z06 shocks. I don't think the ride is too harsh by any means. I'm sure it's a perception thing though. Different strokes for diff folks I guess. I have a set of RR tracks I have to go over whether I'm going to work or play. I go over them at 20 mph. No creaks, rattles, or other tight ride issues. Used to have a little top noise, but since I started using the swimming pool o-ring lube, all that is gone.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:55 AM
JackChesbro
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bigron1212
So I have a 08 base and have upgraded the suspension and here are my thoughts. The stock suspension is awful.

First I upgraded to Z51 sway's with poly bushings and Moog Endlinks. Next I installed Bilstein B6 shocks. After 4k miles I wanted a more firmer ride (I live in Michigan) so I went ahead and installed B8's.

The B6's rode very smooth but the B8's will make your base feel more like corvette then a Cadillac per say.

Next upgrade the motor and trans mounts with Hinson motor sports mounts. Totally transformed the car. I am also running Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires.

Good Luck.
As a new c6 owner all my research is pointing me in this exact direction. Could I trouble you as to where you sourced the parts from?
Old 09-19-2020, 06:11 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bigron1212
... I am also running Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires.

Good Luck.
Are the PS 4s run flats?
Old 09-19-2020, 08:30 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LJD51
Are the PS 4s run flats?
Nope.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:16 AM
bigron1212
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JackChesbro
As a new c6 owner all my research is pointing me in this exact direction. Could I trouble you as to where you sourced the parts from?
Rock Auto and amazon! Just verify the correct P/N and price search.
The following users liked this post:
JackChesbro (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 04:14 PM
jonjoy
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Shockwarehouse.com under 4 for bilsteins and how much for Z51?

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrade base suspension

Old 09-22-2020, 10:50 AM
Jlang1
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ncnmra
I've been doing a lot of reading, and I'm starting to confuse myself. I have a 2013 Base C6. I find the suspension a little soft for spirited driving. I would like to have it a bit more sporty, without overly sacrificing ride quality. I have upgraded the sway bars to Z51. This helped keep the car a bit more planted, but it still feels a bit too soft.

I have read about the following options:
1) Upgrade to Z51 shocks (FE3 suspension package).
2) Upgrade to Z06 shocks (FE5 package?)
3) Upgrade to Bilstein B6 shocks

Option 3 is the most expensive. I found a good deal on option 1 from Rock Auto.

I don't want to upgrade the springs at this point. Can someone explain to me the differences and benefits of each approach?
I have a 2008 C6M base model that came with code "FE1" soft ride suspension. This can be found on the placard inside the glove compartment has all the RPO codes which is like a build sheet containing info on what components etc. went into your car build.

This suspension NEVER should have been put on a Vette.... it's terrible !!! ... it's for old men that like a "floaty" ride like an old Cadillac and drive 55 on the interstate..... I've passed plenty of them and just laugh; why the heck would you buy a Vette and get passed by semi trucks ???

SORRY.... got side tracked there ....

Anyways, when I bought the car, it had 14,xxx miles and still had the original Goodyear run flat tires. SO... I had alot to change in order to get this car firm and stable.

I replaced the tires with General G-Max RS, installed Bilstein B6 shocks, and also replaced the sway bars with WCC (West Coast Corvette) #33110050 (Progress Technology # 63.0480). These sway bars are a bit stiffer than the stock Z51 bars.

All I can say is these 3 upgrades transformed the car...
- Tires allowed me to accelerate way more aggressively out of turns; the Goodyears were 11 years old and slick as snot ! ($760 from Tire Rack)
- Shocks really firmed up the ride without being harsh; I highly recommend these. ($425 from Amazon)
- Sway bars flattened the cornering without any difference in ride quality. ($370 including shipping from West Coast Corvette)

So there you have it... I would definitely go with the Bilstein shocks; the B6's if you want a firm, controlled but not harsh ride.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:23 AM
ncnmra
Racer

You guys convinced me. I already have the Z51 sways, and I just pulled the trigger on the B6. RockAuto was the best option to get these into Canada. Sadly the Canadian distributors charge a SUPER heavy premium (despite "free" shipping).
Old 09-22-2020, 01:55 PM
jonjoy
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Now that your done insulting the old folk. Did you ever think(I don't think so) that they built the base model to sell a few parts or most likely the real reason is that the base is cheap and easier(less waste ) to strip for racing. I know it's hard but if you think about it that's why the base and ZO6 have the same transmissions and gear ratio. Pro's don't buy a Z51 to strip for racing. GM meant them for guys like you.

Quick Reply: Upgrade base suspension