C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's going on with this car???

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 01:41 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts
Default What's going on with this car???

Went out to my Vette to see if it would recognize the FOB and let me in. The door unlocked and I was able to start the car. All the system warning lights shut off as they ought to with none remaining on, this time. I thot I’d go for a quick trip into town and return home. As I was approaching the approximate midpoint, I went around a corner and saw no one around, not even any parked cars on either side of the road so I gave it some gas. The rear end swung out quite wide on the wet road, wider than anticipated, and I cranked the steering wheel as far as I could into the slide. I didn’t think I’d be able to crank it far enough to save it, but I did indeed save it. Just as I was finishing up, I got a dash warning, I believe it was a Service Active Handling warning, a few seconds later the car totally shut down and died and I was unable to restart it. Unable to turn on the 4 way flashers, doors, windows, hatch, radio all had no power! I tried numerous times over the next hour to restart, but was unable to. As a last resort I called the tow truck and 4 hours later my Vette was delivered back in my driveway. I again tried to start it, nope! A couple of minutes later I heard music and looked inside the Vette, yup, the radio was lit up & playing. I walked around and the door unlocked and opened right up. I climbed in & started it up no problem. What the hell is going on with this car. Four times last week I couldn’t even get into the car, except through the hatch & manual door release. The battery is new and fully charged, key FOBs have relatively new batteries. I need this car to be reliable and dependable. Please help??
Old 12-24-2019, 04:28 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Check for a loose battery cable terminal.
The following 2 users liked this post by torquetube:
2008 Corvette (12-24-2019), rc51racer (12-31-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 06:06 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

or it's time to replace the battery. Funny **** (just not ha ha funny) happens when the battery is low, going bad. I replaced a perfectly good CPS because my battery was not up to par.
The following 2 users liked this post by ls1121:
2008 Corvette (12-24-2019), rc51racer (12-31-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 12:49 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

The battery cable terminals are tightened as tight as I dare without stripping them!
The battery is brand new as I mentioned and fully charged!
Old 12-24-2019, 01:27 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

How is your battery connection at the starter? The connection tend to get fragile and break. When mine cracked I had some strange things happen.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:14 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ls1121
How is your battery connection at the starter? The connection tend to get fragile and break. When mine cracked I had some strange things happen.
I will check it out. Gonna get out the Tech 2 Scanner as well. Haven't used it yet.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:41 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Haven't had a chance o get the Vette up in the air to check out the starter connections. Last night I was able to get into the car, FOB was recognized, window indexed, door opened and was able to start the car, but had no dash lights or radio. Restarted it several more times, but still no dash lights or radio. Then it wouldn't start and had to manually open the door to exit. Ya still think it's the battery, which is a month old, or battery connection??
Old 12-30-2019, 09:33 PM
Da Wiz
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Ghost in the machine

I had a number of issues that seemed totally random when my Body Control Module began to fail. It is located under the passenger footwell. As I dug around in my newly received manuals, it turns out the BCM is the system master for turning the other various computers on when you first access the car. It turns out I had some white residue in my main connector from previous moisture contamination. It is completely reasonable to clean and retighten those connectors and see if your symptoms change or improve.

Last edited by Da Wiz; 12-30-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What's going on with this car???

Quick Reply: What's going on with this car???