C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why do my rear wheel bearings keep getting loose

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 02:04 PM
Scott S
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default why do my rear wheel bearings keep getting loose

2006 automatic.

I've replaced my rear wheel bearings twice now. The first time with cheap ones which got loose quickly and the second time with SKF street hubs. Now the SKF's are loose on both sides. There is about 1/8" of play at the tire tread.

The car has been lowered by an inch or so.

Anyone have an idea as to what could be causing this? Would bend output shafts cause this?

Thanks in advance...

Scott

Last edited by Scott S; 08-30-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:20 PM
Scott S
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem turned out to be the half shafts, the drive shafts from the diff to the wheels. I replaced those and wheel bearings (again) and all is well for years now. If you’re going to replace the rear wheel bearings, I would suggest replacing the half shafts too. Pretty easy one you in there. Check for bent wheels too.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:41 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott S
The problem turned out to be the half shafts, the drive shafts from the diff to the wheels. I replaced those and wheel bearings (again) and all is well for years now. If you’re going to replace the rear wheel bearings, I would suggest replacing the half shafts too. Pretty easy one you in there. Check for bent wheels too.
SKF street bearings have had some serious QC problems. I've had 4 go bad in under 2K miles of easy street driving, including the front ones -- no half shafts or bent wheels involved. Looking around, one finds hundreds of people with similar experience.

It sounds like your third spin of the roulette wheel turned up a set of wheel bearings that were put together right. Maybe they were old stock!

One of the only bearings that seem to survive track conditions are SKF HDs / SKF X-Trackers. These are made by a different division in a different factory in a different country than the regular SKFs. Most reps at SKF have never heard of them. There are available only from a handful of dealers. They cost around $400 each.
Old 02-24-2024, 03:05 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 376 Likes on 301 Posts

Mechanical Power also make good bearing including the early cars electronics with a 33 spline shaft so you can run ZR1 shafts on the 1997 to 2008 cars. In 2009 they changed the electronics so you could not just put on a later car bearing.

The following users liked this post:
tommyc6z06 (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 06:04 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,029 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
SKF street bearings have had some serious QC problems. I've had 4 go bad in under 2K miles of easy street driving, including the front ones -- no half shafts or bent wheels involved. Looking around, one finds hundreds of people with similar experience.

It sounds like your third spin of the roulette wheel turned up a set of wheel bearings that were put together right. Maybe they were old stock!

One of the only bearings that seem to survive track conditions are SKF HDs / SKF X-Trackers. These are made by a different division in a different factory in a different country than the regular SKFs. Most reps at SKF have never heard of them. There are available only from a handful of dealers. They cost around $400 each.

This, since it was the HD wheel hub bearings that everyone was buying for track use that made them popular, they came out with a standard bearing that is about as good as the standard Moog bearing ( that is not up to the same task as the HD bearing), and people are ordering the SKF wrong wheel hubs.

Get notified of new replies

To why do my rear wheel bearings keep getting loose

Quick Reply: why do my rear wheel bearings keep getting loose