C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New c6 owner with oil leak concerns

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 08:49 PM
Anthony Brogno
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New c6 owner with oil leak concerns

Hi All,

new C6 owner, and I’m loving the car after a few days. After looking deep into the engine with a flashlight today, I noticed an oily residue - see pic below. Should i be concerned? Is there an oil leak I don’t know about ? I’ve never smelled burning oil before, so I can’t comment on the smell. The did recently have an oil change and clutch fluid flushed, so km hopefully that maybe there could have been a spill.

If if there’s a leak, will there be oil on the ground of my garag even though the car isn’t running? If I check tomorrow morning and there is a leak, will I see oil on the ground?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:34 PM
rsb213
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Hard to see from the photo, but the only way oil could really get there is from a valve cover. Not sure how car savvy you are, but you can inspect the side of the head in that area and if there's any brown residue on it, then you've got a leak. If not, I probably wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:24 AM
Anthony Brogno
7th Gear

Thanks for the info. I’m not mechanically inclined. I wa hoping to become inclined by working on the Vette. I will try and get a closer look to see if I can spot the residue. The residue that I see looks like black dirt, or soot. Not sure if that’s what happen when leaking oil gets really hot.

Im not sure where the head is, but can do my digging and see if I can get a good look. Thanks again.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:39 AM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

If black soot, it could be a header leak. Look for black soot around the header flanges where it mates up to the heads.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:40 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Leave it alone...close the hood and just enjoy the car..

change the oil when the DIC says to..

when checking the oil...i believe once every thousand miles and fwiw i do it when the engine is cold...

my ls3 uses no oil between oil changes...and at most over 128k miles i think i ever added was a half a quart of mobil one.

i read you just bought the car...these cars are pretty durable and require minimal maintaince.

have fun driving your corvette
Old 12-31-2018, 07:44 AM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

I agree with rsb213 and it’s hard to tell from the picture, but probably not a big concern. Yes, if you have a significant leak, eventually it’ll make its way to your garage floor. I always check the floor for any drips/puddles before I even check under the hood. A bad leak will show up on the ground sooner or later. I’d just keep an eye on your oil level (and garage floor) and not worry too much at this point. Good luck!
Old 12-31-2018, 07:47 AM
Anthony Brogno
7th Gear

Thank you, guys. This was kinda bumming me out as I just bought the car. Great advice. I’ll check every 1k miles and add if needed. No noticeable drips on garage floor yet, so I’ll just continue to monitor. Thanks again!!!
Old 12-31-2018, 05:17 PM
Excind
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I changed my balancer several months ago I had the same thing. As far as I could tell it was coming from the feed tube from the power steering reservoir to the pump. It's a really short section of tubing that takes a weird turn and is held by spring clamps. I replaced them with stainless pipe clamps when I reinstalled the reservoir and have not had anymore leaking.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:22 PM
Anthony Brogno
7th Gear

What is this leaking?
Thanks for the info. I snapped a pic today and as you can see it’s leaking from the area below. Do you still think it could be power steering fluid coming from this area? Does anyone know what part of the car this is? Sorry. Def a newbie.

Last edited by Anthony Brogno; 01-01-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:45 PM
Excind
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine pretty much covered everything almost to the back of the oil pan on the drivers side. After I did pipe clamps I have had no other signs of leaking. If you dig into it it can be a messy job. Unless its leaking really bad, like others have said I would just drive it. I used purple power degreaser while washing the car to clean up the residue.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:57 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Could be, as stated, power steering fluid.

if you clean it all up you can better see where it is coming from. Careful pressure washing, careful use of degreaser and washing, etc
Old 01-03-2019, 09:39 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 735 Likes on 475 Posts

First identify the oil as either engine or power steering. Take a sample of both oils from the dip sticks (engine oil and power steering) and compare the smell of the leaking oil. That's where I would start.

In my case I had both, power steering leaking along the steering rack and engine oil cooler lines leaking by the oil filter adapter (passenger side). I believe in 2010 GM revised the power steering line routing.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:04 PM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
First identify the oil as either engine or power steering. Take a sample of both oils from the dip sticks (engine oil and power steering) and compare the smell of the leaking oil. That's where I would start..
I agree, also monitor you oil levels to see if any changes in your reservoirs to help narrow down the culprit.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:09 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Brogno

What is this leaking?
Thanks for the info. I snapped a pic today and as you can see it’s leaking from the area below. Do you still think it could be power steering fluid coming from this area? Does anyone know what part of the car this is? Sorry. Def a newbie.
Most likely power steering fluid. Get a flashlight and look upwards from below behind the power steering pulley and see if there is either a drip where the shaft comes out or oil spatter on the backside of the pulley. Look where the 2 wires come out of the steering rack at the rubber grommet for a leak. Make sure the end cap of the pinion has not fallen off.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:33 PM
Dman302
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Check your power steering fluid, if you have a significant leak you’ll notice it is low,

Get notified of new replies

To New c6 owner with oil leak concerns

Quick Reply: New c6 owner with oil leak concerns