C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

102mm Throttle Body Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 08:31 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

As mentioned above, the silver blade throttle bodies came on the LS2 and early (pre-2008) LS7s. The “gold blades” came on the LS3s and 2008-up LS7s. Both of these are interchangeable 90mm throttle bodies. The ZR1/LS9 motors have a totally different throttle body altogether, which looks more like the L92 87mm throttle body, with a shorter plastic motor housing.
No one seems to know why GM decided to swing the throttle blade the opposite way on the newer gold blades, but I can tell you that they work the same way whether you flip them upside down or not. Been there, done that. The gold blades are much cheaper (think like less than half the price) than the silver blades, which are still available. Based on research on the FI forum and elsewhere, it seems that the silver blade TBs have a stronger motor than the gold blades, which helps prevent WOT blade “flutter” which triggers REP mode activation on high boost applications. I’ve had that problem myself until I bought the NW boosted 102mm which was closer to $800 than $200, but was worth every penny for me. It’s superior to the factory throttle body in every way.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:24 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 2K8LS3
Did they do away with different colored blades and start making them compatible with both LS2 and LS3's ? Seems that's what the majority of throttle bodies on the market advertise now.
All the OEM blades are aluminum alloy, but the coating process is slightly different. Visually, they appear to be the MIL-DTL-5541 (the old MIL-C-5541) chemical conversion process where the "silver" blades are dipped in a hot water rinse to eliminate the chromium coloring and the "gold" blades are dipped in a cold rinse to set the coloring (from a pale yellow to a dark brown) created by the length of time in the initial process. This is different from anodizing and far more cost effective for parts that are not used in highly corrosive conditions, such as electronic and aircraft. What you may be seeing "on the market" are not OEM valve bodies, since you don't specify who the "they" are.
Originally Posted by CI GS
As mentioned above, the silver blade throttle bodies came on the LS2 and early (pre-2008) LS7s. The “gold blades” came on the LS3s and 2008-up LS7s. Both of these are interchangeable 90mm throttle bodies. The ZR1/LS9 motors have a totally different throttle body altogether, which looks more like the L92 87mm throttle body, with a shorter plastic motor housing.
No one seems to know why GM decided to swing the throttle blade the opposite way on the newer gold blades, but I can tell you that they work the same way whether you flip them upside down or not. Been there, done that. The gold blades are much cheaper (think like less than half the price) than the silver blades, which are still available. Based on research on the FI forum and elsewhere, it seems that the silver blade TBs have a stronger motor than the gold blades, which helps prevent WOT blade “flutter” which triggers REP mode activation on high boost applications. I’ve had that problem myself until I bought the NW boosted 102mm which was closer to $800 than $200, but was worth every penny for me. It’s superior to the factory throttle body in every way.
AFAIK, all '08 LS3 TB blades are silver and carry the 12570790 P/N, while all the '09 and newer LS3's have gold blades and are P/N 12605109. As a rule, GM doesn't make mid-year changes on parts that don't affect safety. My '08 (born Oct 30 2007) and the other '08's I've seen are also silver.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:02 PM
2K8LS3
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
All the OEM blades are aluminum alloy, but the coating process is slightly different. Visually, they appear to be the MIL-DTL-5541 (the old MIL-C-5541) chemical conversion process where the "silver" blades are dipped in a hot water rinse to eliminate the chromium coloring and the "gold" blades are dipped in a cold rinse to set the coloring (from a pale yellow to a dark brown) created by the length of time in the initial process. This is different from anodizing and far more cost effective for parts that are not used in highly corrosive conditions, such as electronic and aircraft. What you may be seeing "on the market" are not OEM valve bodies, since you don't specify who the "they" are.

AFAIK, all '08 LS3 TB blades are silver and carry the 12570790 P/N, while all the '09 and newer LS3's have gold blades and are P/N 12605109. As a rule, GM doesn't make mid-year changes on parts that don't affect safety. My '08 (born Oct 30 2007) and the other '08's I've seen are also silver.
Much appreciated, I wasn't being very specific I see now (sorry about that). But I appreciate the info. Fast intake came today, picked up the VmAx Velocity Ring last night. Learned and I didn't need a 102mm TB at my level. Overall I learned a lot. Even saw plenty of names that I know to trust in from the reading that's gotten me this far.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:19 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Very nice brother, looking forward to seeing how everything works out

Are you planning on hitting the dyno with it for some comparison?

If you’re interested in seeing my old LS2 H/C setup with and without the 102, I can post a link here or shoot you a DM with it.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:54 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

late 08 LS3 throttle blades are gold if I remember correctly
Old 12-02-2018, 12:20 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by irok
late 08 LS3 throttle blades are gold if I remember correctly
An easy way to determine that, is to ask an owner of a Hertz rental, since all 500 of those were produced in one batch after the final normal production had ended.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:22 AM
xx_ED_xx
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it funny that a thread that asked about throttle body differences turned into it has to be made in americans by amercians on american machines. Nothing you buy now a days is made in america
So if an american miner didnt dig up the aluminum and an american forger didnt press the aluminum billet then the CNC machine wasnt hand built in america to machine the aluminum with all the tooling and software etc made in america
I mean seriously you do understand electronics etc in pretty much every corvette isnt made in america
Sorry to hi jack.... I just found it hillarious
Old 05-14-2020, 08:39 PM
jamdun17
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead but I am also curious what make NW parts so much more expensive then the ebay one and now Texas speed has one as well for 200 less. I want to know that I'm not paying middle man tax for the same part. I opened up a China TB which looks much different then the GM version electronics but still works. Does anyone have an opened NW TB to show the difference ?
China bay TB :

Old 05-14-2020, 10:37 PM
rsb213
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jamdun17
Bringing this back from the dead but I am also curious what make NW parts so much more expensive then the ebay one and now Texas speed has one as well for 200 less. I want to know that I'm not paying middle man tax for the same part. I opened up a China TB which looks much different then the GM version electronics but still works. Does anyone have an opened NW TB to show the difference ?
China bay TB :
Dont know if its true but I heard the NW102 uses GM electronics.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:53 PM
jamdun17
Advanced

^ would like to know if that's actually true, can anyone confirm that?
Old 05-15-2020, 01:48 PM
veneno
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I thought my ls2 throttle body was bad (ended up being the wiring harness to the throttle body) was looking for feedback on the
internet regarding the knock off 102 tb some either leaked or stopped working leaving the person stranded.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:22 PM
jamdun17
Advanced

So just for future information just tore apart a NW one and it looks to be the GM equipment inside which is great!
Old 05-16-2020, 04:43 PM
rsb213
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jamdun17
So just for future information just tore apart a NW one and it looks to be the GM equipment inside which is great!
glad to know it’s true. Nice work
Old 01-21-2021, 11:36 AM
Vic Nalbandian
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 102mm throttle body quality

Hello everyone... I don’t own a corvette anymore.. I do have a 81 Trans Am with a LS3 416 stroker 650 HP engine . I’ve gone through 2 cheap cable operated 102mm throttle body’s purchased through eBay, don’t waist your money. The cheaper units have machining issues like TPS shaft is to big and the sensor fits really tight . if you try removing the TPS, you will destroy it ... second and most important... the throttle blade hangs up when the engine is at normal operating temperature. Causes all kinds of idling issues and really difficult to tune if next to impossible. I suspect Cheap aluminum alloys cause the problems...As for the fly by wire units, same issues with the casting and the electronics are hit and miss. Go with a American made unit like Nick Williams or BBK. Yes there 3 times the money . You get what you pay for. Do your research because even brands like Holley are inexpensive and made in China. Holley has excellent products but stay away from there sniper throttle bodies. I hope this helps with your decisions... if you have little experience and are getting your throttle body installed tuned by a mechanic, spend your money on the good quality part instead of a extra 3-4 hours labor into your mechanics pockets just to advise you that your throttle body is defective .

This is my LS3 416 stroker with the Chinese 102mm throttle body. I have since removed it and waiting on the Nick Williams 102mm throttle body

Nick Williams 102mm throttle body.

looks like a good quality product but that’s all it is. This 102mm TB doesn’t function properly. Remarkably similar to the cheap Holley sniper. Not recommended
Old 01-22-2021, 02:24 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Texasthunder
The $200 ones are made in China. That should be all you need to know about them.
my son started tearing into his 2006 gto in 2018, went into the marine corps in 01/2019 and between the two of us, it got finished and tuned and trailered to pensacola, fl in 01/2020. he put in a stroker kit, afr heads, headers, etc, and a edelbrock cross ram intake with two throttle bodies, which he purchased off fleabay...made in china crap international. he was cutting a corner which he should not have done but on a 2lt marine pay he wanted to get by without going into debt. by may one of the throttle bodies was fluttering at idle which made the car idle irratic at idle. he replaced that one with a unit manufactured in the usa. now the other one is fluttering and he is waiting on another usa one to arrive. lesson learned...no china crap!

The following users liked this post:
HC Mechanic (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 08:37 PM
Vic Nalbandian
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chinese junk

Originally Posted by Sleazy Rider
my son started tearing into his 2006 gto in 2018, went into the marine corps in 01/2019 and between the two of us, it got finished and tuned and trailered to pensacola, fl in 01/2020. he put in a stroker kit, afr heads, headers, etc, and a edelbrock cross ram intake with two throttle bodies, which he purchased off fleabay...made in china crap international. he was cutting a corner which he should not have done but on a 2lt marine pay he wanted to get by without going into debt. by may one of the throttle bodies was fluttering at idle which made the car idle irratic at idle. he replaced that one with a unit manufactured in the usa. now the other one is fluttering and he is waiting on another usa one to arrive. lesson learned...no china crap!

Nice looking LS stroker, love the intake manifold.... your son did a good job!
The following users liked this post:
HC Mechanic (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 09:32 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Vic Nalbandian
Nice looking LS stroker, love the intake manifold.... your son did a good job!
he powder coated the intake manifold since this picture was taken. we sent the short block back to the engine builder because of issues. stock oil pump was re-used, now has a k-tech pump. another lesson learned. i'll get some pics of the new engine sent to me and post them.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:18 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleazy Rider

Thank goodness your Marine learned the lesson about Chinese garbage. Doesn't belong on our hot rods.

I served from '99 to '03 in the Marine Corps, please tell your son Semper Fi for me 🇺🇸

Quick Reply: 102mm Throttle Body Options