C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks headers, x-pipe and custom tune - 50 RWHP

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 11:48 PM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Kooks headers, x-pipe and custom tune - 50 RWHP

So I couldn't be happier. Got myself Kooks 1 3/4 headers, ceramic coated inside and out....and the Kooks x-pipe with the green cats...and had the exterior of that ceramic coated as well.

Great guy named Chris Simpson...did the work and the custom tuning. Was going to note the type of dyno he had, and forgot to. But it's super conservative. On the baseline dyno run before the work, my 2010 GrandSport, manual, put down 325 to the wheels. When we did SAE correction it was right close to 360 I think.

Anyways...after a full day on the dyno, end result was right around a 50 rwhp gain. Impressive. Even he was impressed on how much we gained. Pretty sure there was about 10-15 hp to be gained just from tuning if nothing else though, as it was dumping fuel on the stock tune. Like 10.5/1 AF ratio on the stock tune....which is just ridiculous. Also tuned out the 1-4 skipshift bullshit, lowered the temp for when the cooling fans come on....running cooler now. Runs like a bat out of hell now.

Corvette dyno results.pdf
Old 07-06-2018, 02:07 AM
dntalman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great gains for sure... Do you have a CAI?
Old 07-06-2018, 04:33 AM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Originally Posted by dntalman
Great gains for sure... Do you have a CAI?
Nope. Just stock air filter.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:42 AM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedthrill

Nope. Just stock air filter.
I would recommend some type of CAI to really enjoy the full value of having better flowing exhaust.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:50 AM
guido1205us
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice. Plan on adding anything else, like a supercharger? Think I want to install a 1 7/8th ceramic coated or jet black LT headers, X-pipe to stock NPP myself, then get a tune from somewhere, see how it feels, then go self contained centrifugal, either AA or ECS,
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 01:34 PM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Originally Posted by debo
I would recommend some type of CAI to really enjoy the full value of having better flowing exhaust.
I just don't think it's worth it personally. I might pick up a bit more gains, but the stock filter is so efficient...that I don't really see the point and would rather spend money elsewhere.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:36 PM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Originally Posted by guido1205us
Nice. Plan on adding anything else, like a supercharger? Think I want to install a 1 7/8th ceramic coated or jet black LT headers, X-pipe to stock NPP myself, then get a tune from somewhere, see how it feels, then go self contained centrifugal, either AA or ECS,
I'm doing a cam swap, valve springs, etc...next year. Because I spent the money on the catted x-pipe...sticking to naturally aspirated power. Apparently adding boost is likely to destroy the cats....and quite honestly, with a cam I should be up to around 550hp at the crank and will spend additional money on suspension pieces. Plan to do a supercharger build on my '18 Mustang for a high horsepower beast.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:37 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a intake shroud for the stock airbox if your interested.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:39 PM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Was looking under the hood last night after a good run around the town....and noticed that just one of my plug wires is barely touching the header. Just at the top of the wire on the bulky hexagon rubber head. All the other ones have lots of space from the header.

The only way I can see solving the problem is to remove the stock metal plug shield and possibly use different wires. But if I do that, then I assume I'll have to remove all the metal shields and replace all wires. Damn it.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:12 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

I'm doing a cam swap, valve springs, etc...next year. Because I spent the money on the catted x-pipe...sticking to naturally aspirated power. Apparently adding boost is likely to destroy the cats....and quite honestly, with a cam I should be up to around 550hp at the crank and will spend additional money on suspension pieces. Plan to do a supercharger build on my '18 Mustang for a high horsepower beast.
Just an FYI, we retain cats on our supercharger builds, have to if you want to pass inspection!

Was looking under the hood last night after a good run around the town....and noticed that just one of my plug wires is barely touching the header. Just at the top of the wire on the bulky hexagon rubber head. All the other ones have lots of space from the header.

The only way I can see solving the problem is to remove the stock metal plug shield and possibly use different wires. But if I do that, then I assume I'll have to remove all the metal shields and replace all wires. Damn it.
Go with the ceramic boot wires from Accel, not normally an Accel fan but those wires work great, never had one fail, only wire that has held up to our 1/2 mile cars. You can literally lay the boot on the header. Summit or Jegs sells them and they are close to the cost of stock.

Last edited by DOUG @ ECS; 07-06-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Kooks headers, x-pipe and custom tune - 50 RWHP

Quick Reply: Kooks headers, x-pipe and custom tune - 50 RWHP