C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UGH…Why did I buy a Corvette??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 11:20 PM
Daverm
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default UGH…Why did I buy a Corvette??

After 58 years of life I decided to buy my first Corvette (2005, 22M miles) last month. I’ve owned many high performance machines including a 500 HP Boss Hoss motorcycle which I still have. My thought process is to own a low mileage Vette and see if the wife and I like it. If so, we would seriously look into buying a C7 after selling the current C6. As for mentioning the Boss Hoss, anyone who owns one knows you better have a large tool box, plenty of money and mechanical knowledge to own it.. Mine has been in the stable for over 7 years damn near without issue.

So… here’s my current irritation after 1500 miles of ownership with the C6:

On the way home from the seller, I encountered some very rough freeway pavement that shook my teeth loose. I’m positive the vehicle wheel hopped on all fours and literately moved sideways a foot or more at 60 mph. I received an audible sound in the cockpit along with the message “Service Traction Control” and a check engine light. It went away 10 seconds later and back to normal.

Today, about 1000 miles since the last episode, I was approaching an intersection with some nasty bumps that again shook the car, although it did not seem nearly a violent as the freeway encounter. Just after I pulled away, I received the audible alarm along with the message “Service Traction Control”, “Engine Operating Under Reduced Power” and the check engine light. I drove for several miles, pulled into a parking lot, shut the car down for a couple of minutes, re-started without fixing the problem. Now the wife was saying things like “lemon” and “should have bought the Mustang GT.” Please feel my pain!!!

I drove a little farther into a town, parked,, found a watering hole and listened to the wife drill me about the car and….well you get it. When we got back to the car and started it up….no messages except the check engine light was still on. Drove home without any reduced power to the car although I was drained!

So here’s what I’m thinking….The moderate to severe wheel hop could have thrown the traction control into a fault, or there is a harness with a loose connection that had a lapse in signal to the EMC which caused the fault. Either way it needs to be corrected.

I’m sure the experts here can help point me in the right direction. My tool box is getting dusty, the wife is singing the song “Mustang Sally” and the seller never had that problem before. UGH!!!!

Old 07-03-2018, 12:40 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Old 07-03-2018, 01:29 AM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 373 Posts

i bought my first vette not too long after i got out of the marine corps in 1971 and have owned at least one-five since then. now they may have their own quirks and issues, but the smiles a vette puts on my face will never be hampered by the problems. oh, and by the way...mustang sally never got out of 2nd gear around this household.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:42 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

The "Reduced engine power" on my 2007 was caused by a loose connection at the throttle body connector. I bought a new connector harness for about $15 fixed it myself and haven't had a problem since.

I hate to say it but even though it's a "Corvette", it's still a Chevy. That said, no car is perfect and if your wife thinks a Ford is better - you need to educate her
Old 07-03-2018, 10:27 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Agreed... the 1st year of any car can sometimes be plagued with more issues that get worked out as time goes on. Also as with anything mechanical, that severe low mileage (avg 1500 miles per year)... just sitting hardly used for many years does not help things like suspension components, tires, electrical connections, etc. Many times you are much better off with a well maintained newer model with low to moderate mileage.

To save my sanity, I always research year specific issues on the model of any used car I buy to try and eliminate as many "surprises" as possible.There were several common issues in the 2005s... most of which were free fixes by the original owner - Mechanical (weak rear end, crank bolt), electrical (DBS, steering column/active handling recall on 3LT), and design (delaminating roofs, shut down sequence) issues all exist, which were fixed by the mid 2007 production.

Find a good local shop, have them go through the car for issues... adjust... lube... tweak etc.....and remember everything can be fixed.

Once it is all the way you want it, I guarantee you'll be smiling much more than you would in a Mustang.... this is coming from a previous owner of a few Mustangs that is on his 5th C6.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:13 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Listen to your wife. Trade for a Mustang. Your life will be much more pleasant!

Tom
Old 07-03-2018, 08:45 PM
Che70velle
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Keep the Vette. Buy her the mustang. Happy wife, happy life!
I bought my first vette in 2000, and shortly after bought the wife that Saleen Mustang that she just had to have.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:29 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Driving a performance car with little to no ground clearance and basically zero suspension travel 60 mph over extremely rough surfaces is going to produce serious issues.
The following users liked this post:
ledesordre (07-05-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 12:03 AM
JasonCzerak
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Daverm
After 58 years of life I decided to buy my first Corvette (2005, 22M miles) last month. I’ve owned many high performance machines including a 500 HP Boss Hoss motorcycle which I still have. My thought process is to own a low mileage Vette and see if the wife and I like it. If so, we would seriously look into buying a C7 after selling the current C6. As for mentioning the Boss Hoss, anyone who owns one knows you better have a large tool box, plenty of money and mechanical knowledge to own it.. Mine has been in the stable for over 7 years damn near without issue.

On the way home from the seller, I encountered some very rough freeway pavement that shook my teeth loose. I’m positive the vehicle wheel hopped on all fours and literately moved sideways a foot or more at 60 mph. I received an audible sound in the cockpit along with the message “Service Traction Control” and a check engine light. It went away 10 seconds later and back to normal.

Today, about 1000 miles since the last episode, I was approaching an intersection with some nasty bumps that again shook the car, although it did not seem nearly a violent as the freeway encounter. Just after I pulled away, I received the audible alarm along with the message “Service Traction Control”, “Engine Operating Under Reduced Power” and the check engine light. I drove for several miles, pulled into a parking lot, shut the car down for a couple of minutes, re-started without fixing the problem. Now the wife was saying things like “lemon” and “should have bought the Mustang GT.” Please feel my pain!!!

I drove a little farther into a town, parked,, found a watering hole and listened to the wife drill me about the car and….well you get it. When we got back to the car and started it up….no messages except the check engine light was still on. Drove home without any reduced power to the car although I was drained!

So here’s what I’m thinking….The moderate to severe wheel hop could have thrown the traction control into a fault, or there is a harness with a loose connection that had a lapse in signal to the EMC which caused the fault. Either way it needs to be corrected.

I’m sure the experts here can help point me in the right direction. My tool box is getting dusty, the wife is singing the song “Mustang Sally” and the seller never had that problem before. UGH!!!!

Dave,

If you are looking for a local mechanic that can help resolve these issues and do a good once over of the car for you, give Charlie at Crazed Performance Repair a call.

https://www.facebook.com/crazedtech85/

He's a bit of a hike from Woodbury, however it'll be worth the trip.

With regards to the Service active handling issue on bumpy roads, the link provided by S.C. Vette may do the trick, however unless your a just about off roading down a dirt road, the car shouldn't be ratting your teeth out, especially a stock 05, so there maybe other things to correct.
Daverm (07-06-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 11:12 AM
C6ness
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Driving a performance car with little to no ground clearance and basically zero suspension travel 60 mph over extremely rough surfaces is going to produce serious issues.
That's what I was thinking. They're not off roaders
Old 07-04-2018, 11:16 AM
UNKNOWN
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

take your foot off the brake pedal when you step on the gas
Daverm (07-06-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 12:18 PM
rrmdeuce
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Same boat

Dave, I did pretty much the same thing, 60 years old, Ducati in the garage and just picked up a 2005 convertible 6 speed. In the last 6 weeks it has cost me a new clutch, new harmonic balancer, new front and rear main seals, new front breaks including rotors, headlight lens, HUD repair and the list goes on. I also love the Mustangs and think maybe I should have went in that direction. But for now I like owning the Corvette, I like the feeling of fixing the car but the bigger jobs I pay a professional to do (clutch)... Is there a C7 in my future? I’m not sure I’m going to drive this one for the next year or so and then decide on a C7 or Mustang GT. I like the attention the Vette gets but the Mustang is no slouch and easier to get in and out of.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:33 PM
ASRoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

LOL! would you like to see the broken connecting rod from my 17,000 mile mustang gt? all cars have problems especially used ones. get the car sorted and it will treat you right. be glad its not a 5.7L hemi Challenger... those things popped timing chains like a bag of Orville Redinbacher....
rrmdeuce (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 03:25 PM
camarokidz28
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

It's a 13 year old car... It's bound to have a small issue or two.
bruno06 (07-04-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 09:50 AM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,189 Likes on 687 Posts

After 58 years of life I decided to buy my first Corvette (2005, 22M miles) last month. ... My thought process is to own a low mileage Vette and see if the wife and I like it. If so, we would seriously look into buying a C7 after selling the current C6.

As far as the ride goes, what tires are on the car? The stock tires could survive 22,000 miles. Even if the stock tires were changed, how many years old are they and are they runflats? The factory runflats were punishing even when they were new. New, touring, non-runflats, may be the answer to the ride quality problem. Despite low miles, the shocks and rubber items on the car are 13 years old and may also contribute to ride complaints.

Each generation of vette improves upon the previous generation. The C7 may solve many of your issues. If you are comfortable with the vette's ride height, go test drive one. Try one with the magnetic ride and see if you like touring setting. Find one with an extended warranty so you're not potentially buying someone else's gremlins.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:19 PM
ledesordre
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A Mustang?? lol
Old 07-06-2018, 08:49 PM
Daverm
Intermediate

UPDATE>>>>> UPDATE>>>>

I did take the car into a Chevy dealer yesterday in St. Paul and here's what they found:

Replaced throttle body connector pig tail. Reason: Performed pin fit and found terminal E and F have poor fit pin tension. Just like some had already mentioned. For the noise in the rear end on tight turns: There is a service bulletin #07-04-20-002B for rear axle noise during turns or hard acceleration. Fluid should be changed to Dextron LS fluid. Changed and noise now absent.

Thanks for all the reply's!!! @#$% the Mustang if all goes well...I love Vette's and only want one in my stable.

Get notified of new replies

To UGH…Why did I buy a Corvette??

Old 07-06-2018, 08:53 PM
Daverm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
As far as the ride goes, what tires are on the car? The stock tires could survive 22,000 miles. Even if the stock tires were changed, how many years old are they and are they runflats? The factory runflats were punishing even when they were new. New, touring, non-runflats, may be the answer to the ride quality problem. Despite low miles, the shocks and rubber items on the car are 13 years old and may also contribute to ride complaints.

Each generation of vette improves upon the previous generation. The C7 may solve many of your issues. If you are comfortable with the vette's ride height, go test drive one. Try one with the magnetic ride and see if you like touring setting. Find one with an extended warranty so you're not potentially buying someone else's gremlins.
No to run flats and the tires (Michelin) are brand new. Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-07-2018, 10:23 AM
kronix
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Just an FYI, using a C6 to see if you'll like a C7 isn't a good comparison. They're totally different cars, I have both so I can attest to this.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:30 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,608 Likes on 2,818 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

After 58 years of life I decided to buy my first Corvette (2005, 22M miles)...
Well, there’s your problem, you shouldn’t have bought a car with 22 million miles!

I’m just funnin’ ya! Glad to hear you got it sorted out.
Daverm (07-07-2018)

Quick Reply: UGH…Why did I buy a Corvette??