C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) C6 and key won't fit question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 03:29 PM
SwampRat
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New (to me) C6 and key won't fit question

After about 15 years of owning a 1985 vette, I jumped 20 years ahead to a 2005 vert. So far I LOVE it! The technological advances from 1985 and the increased performance are mind boggling.

I do have a possible problem, though. I read the owners manual about how to open the drivers door if the battery is dead (it's not, but I wanted to know how in case it does happen) but the key won't go more than about 1/4" into the key slot above the license plate. I don't want to force it for fear of doing damage. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks for your input!
Old 06-08-2018, 04:17 PM
Derek Adams
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampRat
After about 15 years of owning a 1985 vette, I jumped 20 years ahead to a 2005 vert. So far I LOVE it! The technological advances from 1985 and the increased performance are mind boggling.

I do have a possible problem, though. I read the owners manual about how to open the drivers door if the battery is dead (it's not, but I wanted to know how in case it does happen) but the key won't go more than about 1/4" into the key slot above the license plate. I don't want to force it for fear of doing damage. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks for your input!
I had to use force for mine i was skeptical about breaking it as well, but it worked.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:19 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,668 Posts

The tumbler for the key is most likely filled with dirt and grime. You will need to shoot some WD 40 or such spary into the key hole to try to get that dirt out. The key will likely fit better after it's clean. Once you do have it clean and the key fits (tight fit at the best of times) cover the key slot with some duct tape so if you ever need to use it, remove the tape and the slot will be clean for your key to fit.

Good Luck
Old 06-08-2018, 09:15 PM
SwampRat
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I shot in a big dose of graphite and eventually got the key to work. I will use the duct tape idea. Thanks for your suggestions! Now I’ve got to figure out why the home link won’t work with my garage door remote. It keeps me busy...
Old 06-09-2018, 12:15 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 273 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
Once you do have it clean and the key fits (tight fit at the best of times) cover the key slot with some duct tape so if you ever need to use it, remove the tape and the slot will be clean for your key to fit.
I used blue painters tape on mine. No sticky residue if/when you remove it, has stayed in place for years, and you don't see the blue color since it's recessed so much.

Last edited by John Harry; 06-09-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:51 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harry
I used blue painters tape on mine. No sticky residue if/when you remove it, has stayed in place for years, and you don't see the blue color since it's recessed so much.
Whatever works to keep that crap out

Get notified of new replies

To New (to me) C6 and key won't fit question

Quick Reply: New (to me) C6 and key won't fit question