C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Header Swap now runs rough- Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 07:22 PM
docrocket1967
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default PROBLEM SOLVED- Z06 Header Swap now runs rough- Help Needed

PROBLEM SOLVED SEE LATER POST
So i finished swapping the exhaust from stock to ARH long tube 1 7/8x3 to catless xpipe to corsa sport rear. After i finished it i started the car up and it’s running rough. Check engine light on and it is saying bank 1 lean and bank 2 rich. When i installed the x pipe, because of the way the 02 sensors holes are on the xpipe i ran passenger side to left side of xpipe and driver side to 02 to passenger side xpipe just seemed cleaner to run it that way and they dont touch.

car is spitting and sputtering and running like crap.

Car is heads, cam, tune already. Do i need to retune or does someone else think there is an issue here with how i ran sensors. I did notice the driver side had two coils that had small pieces broken off where the wire slides on to but it has no effect on how the wire pops onto the coil.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by docrocket1967; 12-28-2017 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Problem solved
Old 12-27-2017, 07:36 PM
docrocket1967
Instructor

Indo plan to change all the spark plugs tomorrow and check wires but im curious if a cracked plug will not throw a code and cause this issue
Old 12-27-2017, 09:15 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by docrocket1967
Indo plan to change all the spark plugs tomorrow and check wires but im curious if a cracked plug will not throw a code and cause this issue
great place to start, but if it was me, I'd plan on a "retune" also
Old 12-27-2017, 09:44 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

You lost me on the o2 sensors.

The pre-cat sensors and connectors should still be in play on the sides there where before, and the aft cat sensor connectors should not be connected to anything, nor the after cat sensors connected to the X pipe as well (holes get plugged with threaded plugs).

Hence the pre cat sensors are used for the motor to run correctly, while the aft cat sensors are only used to make sure that the cats are working correctly only (which you are not running). Hence in the tune, the aft cat O2 sensors will be turned off, leaving only the pre cat O2 sensors in play. In the mean time, the car is going to throw codes until the rear after cat O2 sensors are tuned off in the tune.

As for not running high flow Cats, not a wise choice, since the car is going to stink of unburnt fuel every stop light, and you will only lose about 2~4 hp total running high flow cats after the headers in the X pipe isntead.

And yes, you need a re-tune, since the headers will be pulling more exhaust (scavaging), and it going to cause the motor run lean in WOT, and maybe enough in closed loop when not at WOT that the motor can not adjust for instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 12-27-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:49 AM
docrocket1967
Instructor

Thank you for the response and sorry for the confusion. Both of my pre-cat sensors are installed just as they should but not switched or anything like that. My two rears however i crossed at the xpipe. The car was previously tuned for the heads and cam and other small work done but never had exhaust before so Im not sure if the rears were thned out. They were there and there were holes in the xpipe for them so i reinstalled.

It instantly just kinda ran like crud right when i started it and its leading me to think plugs maybe wires, but its throwing two 02 codes.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:16 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

If you didn't pull plugs to swap headers, then 99.9% chance you cracked or messed up a spark plug. Start there.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:25 PM
docrocket1967
Instructor

PROBLEM SOLVED

So I had ordered my AR headers from tsp and when i did i of course upgraded to buy the better gasket and 02 wire extensions.

When i was first installing the headers to make it easy i installed the 02 sensors on the headers and plugged them in to make it easy. Now TSP had only sent two wire extensions and i figured they were for the rear 02 sensors but in the process of removing the factory setup i hadnt paid a ton of attention to them but the extensions they sent obviously only plug into one of the styles of 02 plugs on each side. I at first thought they were the wrong extensions and they sent me extensions for the front and not for the rear but then i thought no maybe i was wrong so i installed everything and ran with the extensions they gave me which only were designed to be used with one plug on eah side that have the triangle type port not the square port.

Well i shouldve stuck with my gut instinct and questioned it when i had it all apart instead i ran with it and today i put the car back on the lift and realized that the extensions they sent were for the front which i didnt need and none for the rear. So i took the 02 sensors out of the xpipe and put them back up to the front and rerouted the wiring for the sensors to stay away from the headers and i ran the two i had up front back to the rear and left them unplugged.

Problem solved car now runs great and no issues at all. I got lucky and no cracked spark plugs either
Old 12-28-2017, 03:42 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

FYI, If you are going to run the rear O2's (don't know why since without a working cat, then are doing nothing but causing codes), don't swap the wires to the rear OS sensors over to the opposite sides.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:49 PM
docrocket1967
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dano523
FYI, If you are going to run the rear O2's (don't know why since without a working cat, then are doing nothing but causing codes), don't swap the wires to the rear OS sensors over to the opposite sides.
I plan to purchase the plugs that screw into the holes onnthe xpipe and just delete the rear 02’s and have them tuned out. I reinstalled them just for the time being so i didnt have open holes, completely temporary
Old 12-29-2017, 12:28 PM
Twayneo1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

if you are going to install a wide band 02 would you put it in the "before" cat plug, or the after cat plug?
Old 12-29-2017, 02:53 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

Before cat plug.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:38 PM
docrocket1967
Instructor

Originally Posted by Twayneo1
if you are going to install a wide band 02 would you put it in the "before" cat plug, or the after cat plug?
With the xpipe i received it actually had a spot for one already in the exhaust you would just remove the plug and install. It was at the beginning of the xpipe on the passenger side. I have always heard they run more downstream from where the cats would be or had been but i have never ran one.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Header Swap now runs rough- Help Needed

Quick Reply: Z06 Header Swap now runs rough- Help Needed