C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Stabilitrak Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 01:16 PM
99 hardtop 08
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GM Stabilitrak Issues

Just throwing this out there to see your opinions. My wife has a 2010 Cadillac SRX and recently at about 90,000 miles we have started having Stabilitrak issues. When you research this it seems that it is a common problem through out the GM lines including the Corvette. We have spent about $2000 on three different repairs and have been told we could repair about 8-10 more issues before it is completely solved. It seems that this is something that GM has had a problem with for about the last decade and that many vehicles have been plagued with it anywhere from 500 miles to 100,000 miles. We have been wanting to trade for a newer CTS coupe, unfortunately those have been known to have the same problems. We may have to go to a Ford or Mopar product. Have any of you had this issue with any of your 2007 or newer vehicles or Vette's?
Old 07-23-2017, 04:31 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

I hope you dont think Ford and Chrysler are problem free. They are far from it. Mopar has many issues that they refuse to address. Heck, Chrylser has known the Charger's fan blades break off and pierce the radiator for 10 years now and still havent fixed it. MOPAR trannies are junk and they dont fix it. Ford is plagued with issues as well. Running to another marquis isn't the answer. Find what you consider comparable to the CTS and research alternatives and their known problems.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:36 PM
99 hardtop 08
Instructor

I agree, I just named those two companies for example and after researching then deciding on the least problematic vehicle. Basically not purchasing a GM product from 07 to present. The Cadillac has other electrical and computer gremlins however. Sometimes the air conditioning will not work, the heated seats wont work, the cooled seats wont work and you have to turn it off for a while then turn it back on usually a few times before it works again. this has done this since the car had 20,000 miles on it. We are told the computer gets confused. The vehicle also makes a clunking sound from the front end when turning the wheels and backing up and taking off. This could be a common problem called slip shift (something to do with the steering). I realize that any car is going to have its quirks and need repairs however the stabilitrak issue is a very costly problem that could near $10,000 in repairs before it is cured and multiple trips to the dealer. The worst part of it is when it acts up it goes into limp mode, it shakes and shimmies and will not go over 40 and sometimes less than that. Try experiencing that on a busy highway running 70 plus mile an hour.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:55 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,363 Likes on 14,013 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Since this has nothing to do with a C5, I'm moving this over to the C6 Tech section.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:08 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 hardtop 08
Have any of you had this issue with any of your 2007 or newer vehicles or Vette's?
Which "issue?"
Old 07-24-2017, 08:36 AM
99 hardtop 08
Instructor

Originally Posted by torquetube
Which "issue?"
The Stabilitrak.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:35 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by torquetube
Which "issue?"
The Stabilitrak.
Which issue with Stabilitrak ("Active Handling")?

This is like referring a "brake issue." That's pretty unspecific.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:17 PM
99 hardtop 08
Instructor

Guess your not familiar with it. It has multiple problems, each time it's a different issue. If you google it there are a lot of unhappy owners with this issue.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:07 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Guess your not familiar with it. It has multiple problems, each time it's a different issue. If you google it there are a lot of unhappy owners with this issue.
I'd ask "which issue?" again, but this is turning into Who's On First.

You're not going to get anywhere worth going if you refuse to be more specific.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:44 AM
99 hardtop 08
Instructor

Throttle body, accelerator pedal, wheel bearing etc. There are others that I'm not sure of. I have been told by mechanic at a Cadillac dealer that told me it could be another 8-10 issues which he did not go into details about. Most commonly when reading about this is the above listed. when you take it to the dealer often times they cannot replicate the symptoms and that mechanic said it is like chasing a ghost.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:24 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Throttle body, accelerator pedal, wheel bearing etc. There are others that I'm not sure of. I have been told by mechanic at a Cadillac dealer that told me it could be another 8-10 issues which he did not go into details about. Most commonly when reading about this is the above listed. when you take it to the dealer often times they cannot replicate the symptoms and that mechanic said it is like chasing a ghost.
Traction Control and Active Handling rely on a working throttle body, accelerator pedal, and wheel speed sensors (integrated into the wheel bearings) to function. But other systems rely on these parts too.

When a fault is detected in any of those components, TC/AH will be disabled and the stability control light will turn on, but I wouldn't describe that as a TC/AH issue per se.

Consider that if your car wasn't equipped with TC/AH, a bad throttle or accelerator pedal would still turn on the check engine light and put the car into limp home mode. That's a safety feature of the engine control unit.

And a bad wheel speed sender would still disable ABS operation, because it also relies on those sensors to work.

All this stuff can break on C6s also. But I consider those problems separate from an actual Active Handling malfunction. In my opinion, an AH malfunction is when the system intervenes when it shouldn't, causing the car to swerve suddenly.

That sort of AH malfunction has been reported by a few owners, though not many. The main culprit appears to be a loose connector in the telescoping steering column.

Assuming your mechanic knows what he's doing, it sounds like you've just experienced failure of several unrelated parts. For example, a bad throttle body doesn't make the wheel bearing assembly go bad.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:39 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

You need a new dealership/mechanic.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Stabilitrak Issues

Quick Reply: GM Stabilitrak Issues