C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 12:29 AM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Advice welcomed

I have decided to have the engine in my 2007 rebuilt ... Sure it still runs but i have racked up some serious miles on it and it is time. Back when I had an abundance of free time I would simply pull the engine and do most of it myself but to be honest , free time is rare luxury these days and I don't want it sitting apart in my garage for years until I get the time to finish it. So here is my question - who do you trust in Southern California to do an engine rebuild ? I am not looking to build a race car but open to improvements provided it will pass smog when needed. So any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:28 AM
Detroit1
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Engine Build

Originally Posted by C6topless
I have decided to have the engine in my 2007 rebuilt ... Sure it still runs but i have racked up some serious miles on it and it is time. Back when I had an abundance of free time I would simply pull the engine and do most of it myself but to be honest , free time is rare luxury these days and I don't want it sitting apart in my garage for years until I get the time to finish it. So here is my question - who do you trust in Southern California to do an engine rebuild ? I am not looking to build a race car but open to improvements provided it will pass smog when needed. So any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Don't know what a rebuild will cost you and until it is opened up what other issues might be found.

I am sure you have already given some thought to an upgrade to LS3 GM crate motor. This would give you some performance improvement and have a warranty. I would think that the man hours would be about the same to change out motors and some change to the computer interface.

Good luck

JB
Old 04-21-2017, 07:16 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'm going to guess that there must be some engine builders that rebuild (or build up from a crate engine) that meets CA inspection standards. But, if it were me I might start by asking a Corv tech at a respected dealer like Rydell in Northridge, if you can get them aside without having to have something done to your car. In that case, I'd say a personal visit is needed, not a text, email or phone call.

I'm not saying get the work done there; I'm just suggesting to talk with someone who has to do it so it will pass inspection in the state and see what they have to say. That will/might give you some info as to what CAN be done, and what might be questionable whenever you go for future inspections beyond the rebuild.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:58 PM
unstressed
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

These guys have a great reputation of being honest and doing top quality work. They can give you good advice on your situation.

http://www.cunningham-motorsports.com/
Old 04-21-2017, 09:17 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

A&A corvette in Oxnard
Old 04-21-2017, 09:20 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

Cunningham Motorsports did my engine rebuild and are one of the best LS shops you'll find anywhere.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice welcomed

Quick Reply: Advice welcomed