C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

active handling question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 05:52 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Default active handling question.

my service active handling message has come on three times in the last 24 hours. each time it came on under mild braking. can someone point me to which sensor might be the culprit? as I said, it was mild braking but the nose does dip slightly. i know there are two sensors attached to the front ahead of the radiator. could those be the possible culprits? or perhaps one of the wheel sensors?
Old 04-12-2017, 11:20 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by mmorse
my service active handling message has come on three times in the last 24 hours. each time it came on under mild braking. can someone point me to which sensor might be the culprit? as I said, it was mild braking but the nose does dip slightly. i know there are two sensors attached to the front ahead of the radiator. could those be the possible culprits? or perhaps one of the wheel sensors?
It could be lots of things. Best to plug in the code reader.

That said, one easy thing you can check is the brake pedal position sensor. Do you normally hear a click from the passenger footwell when you press the brake pedal? That's the brake lamp relay. If the signal from the BPP sensor is interrupted, you won't hear the click. It will also cause a Service Active Handling message under light braking.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:12 AM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by torquetube
It could be lots of things. Best to plug in the code reader.

That said, one easy thing you can check is the brake pedal position sensor. Do you normally hear a click from the passenger footwell when you press the brake pedal? That's the brake lamp relay. If the signal from the BPP sensor is interrupted, you won't hear the click. It will also cause a Service Active Handling message under light braking.
have used two obd2 readers but they showed no codes. probably need a tech 2. i have never heard a click of any kind when i press the brake pedal in the entire almost ten years i've owned the car. maybe i'm just not paying attention.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:47 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

have used two obd2 readers but they showed no codes. probably need a tech 2. i have never heard a click of any kind when i press the brake pedal in the entire almost ten years i've owned the car. maybe i'm just not paying attention.
The next time the message appears, check if the brake lights work.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:28 AM
OneMoreVet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a service active handling and ABS message after a spirited drive on some country roads last year. Brake light stuck on for no apparent reason. Thought it was related to the brake switch being loose or malfunctioning. Read somewhere on the forum to unplug and reconnect blue connectors on computer in passenger foot well. Pretty sure I disconnected the battery first. All is well since(fingers-crossed).
Old 04-13-2017, 07:32 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I had my service active handling light come on during an HPDE at Road America. It was due to low brake fluid from the brake pads getting worn. I topped off the fluid reservoir and the light went away.
The following users liked this post:
damascus1986 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 03:24 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by torquetube
The next time the message appears, check if the brake lights work.
will do
Old 04-13-2017, 08:18 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OneMoreVet
I had a service active handling and ABS message after a spirited drive on some country roads last year. Brake light stuck on for no apparent reason. Thought it was related to the brake switch being loose or malfunctioning. Read somewhere on the forum to unplug and reconnect blue connectors on computer in passenger foot well. Pretty sure I disconnected the battery first. All is well since(fingers-crossed).
i did this. it was easy enough. I used electronics cleaner on the pins and used compressed air on both ends of the connectors. then took the car on a twenty minute run with no messages. i also noted that my gas gauge registered and additional 1/8 of a tank. a few weeks ago i had a low fuel dic message along with the gauge going crazy going from full to empty back to full and then down to half tank right after filling up. check engine light also came on. happened twice the day i filled up but has not happened since. just interesting that cleaning those connectors affected the gauge. who knows maybe i killed two birds with one stone. keeping my fingers crossed! thanks for the tip!
Old 04-13-2017, 09:53 PM
OneMoreVet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i did this. it was easy enough. I used electronics cleaner on the pins and used compressed air on both ends of the connectors. then took the car on a twenty minute run with no messages. i also noted that my gas gauge registered and additional 1/8 of a tank. a few weeks ago i had a low fuel dic message along with the gauge going crazy going from full to empty back to full and then down to half tank right after filling up. check engine light also came on. happened twice the day i filled up but has not happened since. just interesting that cleaning those connectors affected the gauge. who knows maybe i killed two birds with one stone. keeping my fingers crossed! thanks for the tip!
Good luck on no lights coming back my friend.

And after my gas gauge did that I'm Techron's best customer!
Old 04-13-2017, 10:36 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OneMoreVet
Good luck on no lights coming back my friend.

And after my gas gauge did that I'm Techron's best customer!
i use chemtool. some dude on you tube did a video comparing a bunch of different cleaners using a bore camera to show before and after pics of the top of a piston. chemtool did the best job of clearing carbon deposits than the others including techron. plus it is much cheaper than the others and has actually been on the market for 30 years. $3.88 a can at walmart. i now stick to detergent gas like chevron and mobil. throw in a can of chemtool every three months.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:26 AM
FRANKENSTEIN4x42000
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change your brake fluid if it's more than 5 years old for sure, NO one does this my last C6 I bought used I even tested the fluid it was less than 1% but still my light would come on every so often.

Cheap fix and I bet you it will work.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:17 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FRANKENSTEIN4x42000
Change your brake fluid if it's more than 5 years old for sure, NO one does this my last C6 I bought used I even tested the fluid it was less than 1% but still my light would come on every so often.
Cheap fix and I bet you it will work.
bled the entire system less than a year ago along with new rotors and pads.

Get notified of new replies

To active handling question.

Quick Reply: active handling question.