C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 to 2012 steering wheel upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 05:23 PM
FRANKENSTEIN4x42000
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2005 to 2012 steering wheel upgrade how to

hi guys I have decided to change this post now that I know a lot more about what's involved with doing this upgrade.
I have installed the 13 steering wheel with the matching clock spring very straight forward so far.
for now I have only hooked up the horn and left the other wires coming off the clock spring alone so I can do the steering wheel controls later. there is 2 plugs from the 2005 steering wheel one is yellow that's the air bag the other is a flat 4 white you want to solder the yellow wire to the grey wire on the new clock spring that's the horn relay control. the other wire is grey and that hooks up to the dark blue this is the ground. I cut the plug from the old clock spring since it's useless now and I re used that plug and soldered it to the new clock spring so it looks factory. I also did not cut the ground wire I simply attach to it because you will need the ground there when you do the steering wheel controls. the wires are in A and B. I don't want to put too many pictures but it's really easy so far.
BTW taking off the 2005 airbag is not fun but after looking at pictures of the airbag I could see how the spring release and it's not like the 2006 and up you have to push at a 45 degree angle to release the springs if that makes any sense. I also used the airbag from a Cobalt it's exactly the same as the Corvette except for the center emblem I made my own I can post some pics if you guys want and I also have another airbag if someone needs one to do this upgrade.
the picture of the plug is from the 12-13 clock spring. the airbag yellow plug will just plug into the 2005 plug it hasn't changed. I hope this is good info.
Attached Images  

Last edited by FRANKENSTEIN4x42000; 04-18-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:06 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Look through this DIY for adding SWC, there are several mentions of wire colors and what they're for. You might be able to figure out what you need.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-finished.html

Quick Reply: 2005 to 2012 steering wheel upgrade