C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LGM Header Install Headaches

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default LGM Header Install Headaches

SIGH (big sigh!)

Was all excited to get my LG Motorsports Super Pro LT Headers installed. I didn't feel I could safely get the car high enough to do it myself, so I leaned on a local shop that was recommended and in my research also had excellent reviews.

Main problem was the clamps supplied were not the right size and were pretty poor quality - the inner bits and outer washer were breaking just as things were starting to get tightened. No where near the needed pressure for them to be air tight. So, after some major scrambling, found what we hope will work - stainless steel band clamps - six 3-inch and two 2 1/2-inch. What came to us all seem the same size, 2 1/2-inch while all the main pipes are 3" and just the joint to the stock NPP muffler is 2 1/2-inch. They tried that and that was the one that snapped apart.

Second issue: From here, people said that stock bolts were fine to reuse, or perhaps I misunderstood, so didn't get a new set. The shop said they had seen too many of this bolt snapped off (in other Chevy vehicles), so felt they should use new bolts. I would have gotten the Stage 8s if I understood we should be using new bolts. So that one may be on me.

What a pain in the butt and a ton of extra expense - new set of clamps overnighted. (another big sigh)

I expected better coming from LGM, which is why I was willing to pay the premium. Sad . . .
The following users liked this post:
jpick73 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 08:18 PM
jpick73
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good to know, being that I am close to pulling the trigger on a set of headers. And I was leaning hard toward the LG's with Kooks running a close second.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:23 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by jpick73
Good to know, being that I am close to pulling the trigger on a set of headers. And I was leaning hard toward the LG's with Kooks running a close second.
Yeah, honestly, I felt chagrined. I expected top quality for all the elements from LGM, but it seems they got cheap on the clamps for some reason. The shop I was working with were very complimentary about the rest of the parts and design, but the clamps we got were cheap, and the wrong size.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:19 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

Just started my Kooks install today, removed the OEM exhaust, have the engine compartment mostly done except new MSD wires and DEI boots, everything went well, they provide Stage 8 locking bolts, 02 extensions, little clamp to raise the Trans lines, so far very pleased. 2morrow we will finish the headers back hopefully.
Will give final report at that time.
For now I can truthfully say that I WOULD NEVER ATTEMPT THIS WITHOUT A LIFT, NEVER !!!!!!!! I cant emphasize that enough, not me, never. To the guys that have done it I commend you
Sorry to hear of your Woes, hope things go better now
NSF

Last edited by Not So Fast; 03-08-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:23 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Just started my Kooks install today, removed the OEM exhaust, have the engine compartment mostly done except new MSD wires and DEI boots, everything went well, they provide Stage 8 locking bolts, 02 extensions, little clamp to raise the Trans lines, so far very pleased. 2morrow we will finish the headers back hopefully.
For now I can truthfully say that I WOULD NEVER ATTEMPT THIS WITHOUT A LIFT, NEVER !!!!!!!! I cant emphasize that enough, not me, never. To the guys that have done it I commend you
NSF
Yay! Finally........lol
Old 03-08-2017, 09:25 PM
Midnight08
Racer

NSF
Yeah - the shop owner was surprised headers this good didn't come with a fresh set of bolts, as most do, apparently.

Summit Racing tells me I will have the clamps I need by noon tomorrow, so maybe I'll have my car by the end of the day - if FedEx can get the goods to me as Summit is projecting. Will follow up. I emailed LGM earlier - no reply so far.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by myredhead1
Yay! Finally........lol
Smarty pants, lol. At my age it was a MF'er, I'm bruised, cut, tired as hell but sort of full of satisfaction you know. I just hope its all worth it in the end
NSF
Old 03-08-2017, 09:27 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Smarty pants, lol. At my age it was a MF'er, I'm bruised, cut, tired as hell but sort of full of satisfaction you know. I just hope its all worth it in the end
NSF
You are going to love them. And yes, it's great satisfaction! Shawn
Not So Fast (03-08-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM
lawson1603
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I was also let down by my LG exhaust on my c6 and had the hardest time getting it to seal. Only solution i could find is to buy some 3" band clamps

and am not 100% sealed looking at welding all joints and vbands on ends of mid pipe.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:40 AM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by lawson1603
I was also let down by my LG exhaust on my c6 and had the hardest time getting it to seal. Only solution i could find is to buy some 3" band clamps

and am not 100% sealed looking at welding all joints and vbands on ends of mid pipe.
We looked at 3-inch wide band clamps and were certain it would spread the pressure out way too much, making sealing this style of slip joints not sealed.

I will have similar style as provided, but hopefully better quality band clamps here tomorrow. Time will tell.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:41 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Midnight - Hope you see clear of it today. Aftermarket stuff can be a challenge. Sounds like you're very close now.

NSF - you too, hope you can successfully wrap today. You've been invested in this project for a long time now. Remember, you can get a hold of me today, off CF, if there is anything that stops you.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:50 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Zero issues with my LG headers.

Zero reason to run new bolts. I've had headers on and off 20+ times, different sets, and done headers on 20+ corvettes, and camaros. Always reused factory bolts, never had a single issue.

If needed, bandclamps are available at any autoparts store. NAPA, autozone, carquest, etc etc etc. Overnighting them when you can just drive to any store and ask for a 3" exhaust clamp is not something I would do.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:28 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Not bashing, just informing. On another car, I knew the clamps for a Borla weren't all that long, plus I was getting them used. So, I went out and got two 3" clamps, altho I have to say (this was about ten years ago) not every auto parts store near me had them. IIRC, the third or fourth I called was NAPA and they had them. I bought two and it was well worth it since there were no leaks, and no problems whatsoever.

Note to Midnight: LGM is in the process of moving to new HQ. There may be some spotty returns of email/calls. I would call Anthony though; he's usually very responsive and reachable.

Last edited by AORoads; 03-09-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:44 AM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by Unreal
If needed, bandclamps are available at any autoparts store. NAPA, autozone, carquest, etc etc etc. Overnighting them when you can just drive to any store and ask for a 3" exhaust clamp is not something I would do.
Yeah - that's easy to type, and total baloney for our area, and the auto shop had already scoured their local sources. When I learned of the problem, I checked with the largest muffler shop and the most recommended auto parts distributer (both in the largest city in our state, 20 miles down the road). Each had a lower grade item that might work, but neither had the quantity I needed. And forget about the chain stores - they stock the sizes most commonly used on most vehicles, not the larger sizes this install required.

To be sure, I went out of my way to make this as time consuming and expensive as possible. (shakes his head, as he walks away!)
Old 03-09-2017, 09:47 AM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by AORoads
Note to Midnight: LGM is in the process of moving to new HQ. There may be some spotty returns of email/calls. I would call Anthony though; he's usually very responsive and reachable.
Yeah - I shot him a quick email yesterday - mostly so they would check other kits they may have put together, since I would prefer to save others from this kind of headache. No reply from him at this point. And, as you say, I have found him really helpful on other stuff and in the decision making process for this, too. It is what it is.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:58 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Midnight08
SIGH (big sigh!)

Was all excited to get my LG Motorsports Super Pro LT Headers installed. I didn't feel I could safely get the car high enough to do it myself, so I leaned on a local shop that was recommended and in my research also had excellent reviews.

Main problem was the clamps supplied were not the right size and were pretty poor quality - the inner bits and outer washer were breaking just as things were starting to get tightened. No where near the needed pressure for them to be air tight. So, after some major scrambling, found what we hope will work - stainless steel band clamps - six 3-inch and two 2 1/2-inch. What came to us all seem the same size, 2 1/2-inch while all the main pipes are 3" and just the joint to the stock NPP muffler is 2 1/2-inch. They tried that and that was the one that snapped apart.

Second issue: From here, people said that stock bolts were fine to reuse, or perhaps I misunderstood, so didn't get a new set. The shop said they had seen too many of this bolt snapped off (in other Chevy vehicles), so felt they should use new bolts. I would have gotten the Stage 8s if I understood we should be using new bolts. So that one may be on me.

What a pain in the butt and a ton of extra expense - new set of clamps overnighted. (another big sigh)

I expected better coming from LGM, which is why I was willing to pay the premium. Sad . . .

Hi, Lou Gigliotti here.

Sorry to hear this. We ARE better than this.

First, Anthony is no longer at LG. He has personal problems that a job can not cure.
WE are moving new people in to fill the slot and if any of you have any issues, just contact me directly through our Sales@LGMotorsports.com email

As for the shock bolts first, In all the time we have been building,racing and installing Shocks, I have never seen a shock bolt break.

Also, my shipping department may not have included 100% of what you needed for the shocks but again, never have we had an issue with the Corvette bolts.

Did my shipping department overnight the parts to you at our expense? If not they should have.

As for the Clamps, If we included the wrong clamps (2 1/2 instead of 3) then we should have sent the correct one on my dime.

Sorry to hear about these issues, but each one would have been handled had I known about this.

As for the shop installing the parts, we can always be reached for technical help with just a phone call and we will put on one of our technicians (Not a salesman) to help.

The headers are what they have always been....the Best. Mistakes happen and I take full responsibility for my company errors.

Contact me directly anytime on my personal email, LouGig2882@gmail.com I am available anytime, day or night to keep my company GREAT.

thanks

Lou Gigliotti
LG Motorsports
Old 03-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Midnight08
Racer

Lou, thanks for the reply.

Good to be informed that we shouldn't be trying to contact Anthony.

Perhaps I should have called yesterday. I was juggling a number of things, so didn't go there, as the details trickled to me until it was later in the afternoon before I had a sense that I needed to get more involved. Wrong sized parts, life happens. Low quality parts, not what I would have expected.

Bottom line, I found that Summit Racing seem to have good stainless steel clamps of kind and size we wanted, and I'm now with in an hour or two of them arriving via FedEx. They are the same style as though included from LGM.

Hoping to have my C6 back home this afternoon, but not looking forward to the bill.

Sometimes life happens, and apparently, it was my turn this week.

Get notified of new replies

To LGM Header Install Headaches

Old 03-09-2017, 03:35 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't have the SuperPro, mine is the vintage orinigal Made in the US Pro model.

Although as far as joint air tight fit is concern, both are slip fit design, so...both will face exhaust leackage to a certain degree and tolerance is depending on how critical/acceptance for the tale tale marks/leakage sound.

I among many others here on the forum in the past, being critical, search for better clamping solution...band clamps-whether stepped or straight, faced clearance problems, in transition joints with catalytic converters on my Pro model. Maybe the Super Pro is different, certainly, especially if it is run without the cats.

Regardless of clamp design, the underlying joint is still Slip Fit. Which is by the way, simple, light and effective. Especially on race cars where trade off for a little exhaust leak and sound is non consequential.

To address slip fit exhaust leaks on my street application, using Ultra Copper RTV between slip fit joints have proven effective over the years since installed. I used supplied clamps, simply torqued until tight without excessive torque value to cause catastrophic failure. RTV sets up fairly quick, but since I did the install on my back in my garage, using jacks stands, I let RTV to cure overnite.

Hope the shop you using have better luck with the new clamps-take some pictures and post it.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:57 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by victorf
Hope the shop you using have better luck with the new clamps-take some pictures and post it.

FedEx delivered around 11am, and then I went to the shop. Basically everything was in place, with the headers, plugs, etc. all back in place. Just needing the clamps to lock things in, set final alignment, and tightening down. The setup looked good under the car, but without a lift, I won't be taking any pictures once I have the car back. Expecting a call any time now.
LG Motorsports (03-25-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 05:43 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Just drove the car home. Unquestionable extra response from the gas peddle. And, well, the other aspect reminds me of the first time my wife and I walked from the parking lot of the Portland International Raceway (to attend ALMS and support series races) into the grandstand and teams area. We heard cars on the track long before we got close enough to see them. I think we joined that club today.

Be fun to get things dialed in and help everything work well together.

Last edited by Midnight08; 03-09-2017 at 05:45 PM. Reason: So excited, I left out words!

Quick Reply: LGM Header Install Headaches