C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 C6 steering wheel removal? How do you get the top 2 pins??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 07:10 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default 2005 C6 steering wheel removal? How do you get the top 2 pins??

My 07 wheel is off in 5 mins.

These 05 wheels are tricky, 4 attach points, bottom 2 I can get, what's the trick on the top pair?

Fwiw, the t30 bolts facing aft are only to retain the rear wheel trim, correct?

Last step in removing the dash to fix the hvac issue.

TIA.

Steve
Old 04-11-2017, 05:54 PM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

anyone?
Old 04-16-2017, 08:54 AM
05 Wreck
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Make sure your are pulling on the edge of the air bag while trying to release the rod spring. If you get it to release, don't touch that corner, the beveled pin will slip back in a heart beat.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:06 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I still didn't figure this out, moved onto other projects until I get the 06up airbag.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:15 AM
FRANKENSTEIN4x42000
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally figured it out after struggling with mine. put a small screwdriver in the ones that are popped already. then I pushed on the airbag to release the tension on the spring and I found that you need to push at a 45degree angle not straight. the release needs to go towards the center of the wheel. Once I knew that it was so easy.
hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
SteveDoten (04-19-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 01:34 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by FRANKENSTEIN4x42000
I finally figured it out after struggling with mine. put a small screwdriver in the ones that are popped already. then I pushed on the airbag to release the tension on the spring and I found that you need to push at a 45degree angle not straight. the release needs to go towards the center of the wheel. Once I knew that it was so easy.
hope this helps.
HELP!!! 2005 wheel here.

OK I've read these posts. I release the tension spring, I've done it so many times now that I can do it in seconds on both sides and pop up the cover about an inch at the bottom. But the top half is still stuck. Any ideas? There are two extremely difficult to reach screws in the back do I need to remove those?

If anybody knows how to do this or (better has pictures) please reply.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:37 AM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch08
HELP!!! 2005 wheel here.

OK I've read these posts. I release the tension spring, I've done it so many times now that I can do it in seconds on both sides and pop up the cover about an inch at the bottom. But the top half is still stuck. Any ideas? There are two extremely difficult to reach screws in the back do I need to remove those?

If anybody knows how to do this or (better has pictures) please reply.
Throw a screw driver or other tool between the air bag and steering wheel on the bottom to prevent the air bag from reseating itself. Then, move to the top and push in on the pins on the top. May have to do one side at a time. Its fairly easy once you see what is going on. If you dont catch the air bag from reseating, it just locks back into place and you have to start over.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Originally Posted by schizcat
Throw a screw driver or other tool between the air bag and steering wheel on the bottom to prevent the air bag from reseating itself. Then, move to the top and push in on the pins on the top. May have to do one side at a time. Its fairly easy once you see what is going on. If you dont catch the air bag from reseating, it just locks back into place and you have to start over.
Thanks for responding!!!

OK, just tried again for about an hour, nothing. For the '05 wheel you access the pins on the top via the holes in the top? Using the bottom holes I can release both bottom sides in under 10 seconds now with all the practice. The top is still connected.

There are 4 holes you need to use correct? (Just for comparison the 06-13 have only two holes.)
Old 08-28-2017, 03:40 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

can you look behind the wheel to see if there are 4 holes in the back.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
can you look behind the wheel to see if there are 4 holes in the back.
Yes there are 4 holes in the back. I can't feel anything to push on with the top two.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:21 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

try a smaller tool. use a metal coat hanger cut to ~3-4".
I remember them being tricky. keep feeling around in the hole until you feel spring pressure and push the spring towards the center of the wheel. you may need a small pointed object if the coat hanger doesn't work or file the coat hanger to a point. keep at it...you'll get it. try it a bit then walk away for a few then go back.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:25 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
try a smaller tool. use a metal coat hanger cut to ~3-4".
I remember them being tricky. keep feeling around in the hole until you feel spring pressure and push the spring towards the center of the wheel. you may need a small pointed object if the coat hanger doesn't work or file the coat hanger to a point. keep at it...you'll get it. try it a bit then walk away for a few then go back.
I GOT IT!!!!! Like most things once you figure it out its easy. Thanks for any and all help from the people that responded. I'll post a writeup on this later since I could not find much information on this topic for an '05
The following users liked this post:
tennblkc6 (08-29-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 C6 steering wheel removal? How do you get the top 2 pins??

Quick Reply: 2005 C6 steering wheel removal? How do you get the top 2 pins??