C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 07:03 PM
weykool
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Serious Problem

Okay so I have an idea what many of you will say, but I am asking for good advice here to assist me.
I installed a Vararam CAI, a FAST 102 LSXr intake manifold, and a ported TB. I was expecting to drive my car to gather data logging information and send it off to have a custom tune for my car using the Intune II tuner. Trouble is, I almost immediately got an engine light and the car is now in "reduced power mode" and it won't go above 1500 RPM so I can't even get a good data log on my tuner.
Can I just put in a CAI tune from my tuner to get me through the data logging process or what should I do? Need to figure things out kinda quickly if possible.
Thanks
Old 11-23-2016, 07:33 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by weykool
Okay so I have an idea what many of you will say, but I am asking for good advice here to assist me.
I installed a Vararam CAI, a FAST 102 LSXr intake manifold, and a ported TB. I was expecting to drive my car to gather data logging information and send it off to have a custom tune for my car using the Intune II tuner. Trouble is, I almost immediately got an engine light and the car is now in "reduced power mode" and it won't go above 1500 RPM so I can't even get a good data log on my tuner.
Can I just put in a CAI tune from my tuner to get me through the data logging process or what should I do? Need to figure things out kinda quickly if possible.
Thanks
Something is wrong , I have the same setup and I have headers , never thru a code , drove it a week to let the fuel trims settle before I logged it and then loaded the tune the whole time never setting a CEL

What code is it throwing ?
Check for vacuum leaks , I had one at the plastic hose that connects just behind the throttle body , I fixed it before it coded on me

Did you recalibrate the Throttle body or did you just bolt it on ??

Dave
Old 11-23-2016, 07:39 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I just noticed , you have an INTUNE ... pull the codes , you can also use it to calibrate the throttle body .....

you don't need a tune for your mods , the ECM can compensate in less than 100 miles

worse case , take the throttle body off and put your stock one back on , reset the codes and see what happens , my money is on the throttle body

If no codes , load the Diablo Tune ... if you have an automatic , load the TCM tune and set it to firm

Dave
Old 11-23-2016, 07:47 PM
weykool
Instructor

I haven't checked codes on the InTune I2 yet. It just has an engine light on. And the reduced power mode I stated before. I had to limp it back home at 20 miles and hour.....embarrassing. I just bolted on the new TB. Didn't know it would require a calibration. I will try your advice, Thanks.

Originally Posted by Dcasole
I just noticed , you have an INTUNE ... pull the codes , you can also use it to calibrate the throttle body .....

you don't need a tune for your mods , the ECM can compensate in less than 100 miles

worse case , take the throttle body off and put your stock one back on , reset the codes and see what happens , my money is on the throttle body

If no codes , load the Diablo Tune ... if you have an automatic , load the TCM tune and set it to firm

Dave
Old 11-23-2016, 07:51 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

I agree. Your problem is most likely the TB itself. It could have been over ported, is binding, is out of calibration, actuator could be damaged........
Old 11-23-2016, 08:02 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by User Omega
I agree. Your problem is most likely the TB itself. It could have been over ported, is binding, is out of calibration, actuator could be damaged........
i would scan for codes 1st, make sure the t/b harness is not damaged and then install the original t/b, that is the only thing that will trip the MIL that fast. on a side note make sure the MASS is plugged in also. start by checking for codes.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:06 PM
weykool
Instructor

Ok, just went out in the garage and ran her for 3 or 4 minutes. Still have engine light, (as I haven't cleared it) but I was able to run it up to 3500 numerous times with no problems. (unsure about driving it to check it) I checked all vacumm lines, TB harness and all seems fine (no loose connections or hoses disconnected) and MASS sensor is in place. Going to bring out the InTune 2 now and check codes as you all have stated. Be back in a while with results.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:15 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by weykool
Ok, just went out in the garage and ran her for 3 or 4 minutes. Still have engine light, (as I haven't cleared it) but I was able to run it up to 3500 numerous times with no problems. (unsure about driving it to check it) I checked all vacumm lines, TB harness and all seems fine (no loose connections or hoses disconnected) and MASS sensor is in place. Going to bring out the InTune 2 now and check codes as you all have stated. Be back in a while with results.
Do you have the Mass Sensor screwed in the right direction ??

it has an arrow on it ( ask me how I know LOL )

the throttle body should not have to be calibrated but .... if you still have a code I would put your stock one back on just to try it ... I know for a fact that the Manifold and the Vararam should not give you a cel unless you have a vacumn leak which will post a " LEAN BANK X" code
Dave
Old 11-23-2016, 08:16 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by truckplay
i would scan for codes 1st, make sure the t/b harness is not damaged and then install the original t/b, that is the only thing that will trip the MIL that fast. on a side note make sure the MASS is plugged in also. start by checking for codes.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:28 PM
weykool
Instructor

Okay so I just pulled codes and here they are:
ECM: p1516 Throttle Actuator position Performance (TAC)
ECM: p2101 Throttle actuator control motor circuit range / performance

I haven't cleared them yet. Wanting to make sure I am doing the right steps along the way.

So which way should the arrow point on the Mass sensor. (in the direction of the airflow?)

Last edited by weykool; 11-23-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:38 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Yes but those codes are your throttle body ......
Old 11-23-2016, 08:42 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...8dSIxAQuP8-6FA

Read this......
Old 11-23-2016, 08:45 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

And this ....
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...8XB0XRm_5e_79w
Old 11-23-2016, 08:58 PM
weykool
Instructor

Thanks! Both are very interesting! I am going to take a quick guess here that perhaps I didn't get the connector on properly to the TB, or if that's not the case, perhaps I have a wire connection loose as the video states. Back out to start checking. And clear codes.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:12 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Welcome , let us know what you find
Old 11-23-2016, 09:22 PM
weykool
Instructor

Okay, pulled the TB connector, no moisture, wires all seem to pass pull test, double checked all vacuum lines, cleared the codes, and went for a quick romp. Check engine light stayed out, engine response was all normal and in let's say 10 miles, no new codes, engine light or 'reduced power" notifications. Going out on Friday to try and run my data logs so I can send off for my custom tune.

Can't thank you guys enough. Glad to have my baby back. If I see this again, I am willing to bet it's going to be a loose wire in the TB connector.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:23 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Great news !!

Get notified of new replies

To Serious Problem

Old 11-25-2016, 07:09 PM
weykool
Instructor

Okay so today I went out and ran 135 miles with no problems. Then after exiting the freeway I pulled up to a stop light and I got a "reduced power" warning. I pulled to the side of the road, plugged in the InTune I2, cleared out the same two codes I listed above P1516, P2101, and continued driving for another 30 miles with no problems. I am thinking perhaps this is a loose wire in the back of the connector unless the TB butterfly valve is sticking when the car returns to idle but as infrequent as I see this now I am willing to bet on the loose wire. Any thoughts?
Old 11-25-2016, 07:16 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Yes ... put your old throttle body on for a week , if you get no codes you know what the problem is ...

Dave
Old 11-25-2016, 10:31 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Something is wrong , I have the same setup and I have headers , never thru a code , drove it a week to let the fuel trims settle before I logged it and then loaded the tune the whole time never setting a CEL

What code is it throwing ?
Check for vacuum leaks , I had one at the plastic hose that connects just behind the throttle body , I fixed it before it coded on me

Did you recalibrate the Throttle body or did you just bolt it on ??

Dave
Dcasole; How do you recalibrate a TB? The reason I ask is that I put on a ported TB and having problems with it stalling at times..No Codes..Thanks

Quick Reply: Serious Problem