C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 02:44 PM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,156 Likes on 619 Posts
Default Shock Replacement

i am thinking of replacing the shocks on my 08Z, but not sure which ones to look into more. has anyone had experience with the Pfadt Johnny O'Connell signature series, bilstein hd, or bilstein sports

appreciate any insight and help. this is my daily for about another year or so... dont mind a little stiffer right
Old 11-09-2016, 08:46 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

I did the JOC's. Can't say that they're much stiffer than the stock shocks that came on my GS, but the car seems to handle better and feels more "controllable" now if you're going around a bend at speed and hit a bump or dip. Basically, the car feels more nimble.
Lots of folks have done the Bilsteins and seem to be happy with those too.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:57 AM
Travlee
Race Director

i just wonder if the JOC are worth 75% more than the bilstein.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:02 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Travlee
i just wonder if the JOC are worth 75% more than the bilstein.
I doubt it. Bilsteins makes a very good shock. I actually wanted the Sports, but no one that I checked had a full set them in stock back then, and I had read somewhere that the bushings that came with them wasn't good or didn't fit good or something, so I ordered the JOCs.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:11 PM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Doug Rippie Motorsports has Bilstein sports revalved for C6's, especially Z06's. Order them with their upgraded poly bushings for a better fit. I have them on my base `08 coupe and they work very well.
The following users liked this post:
Gering (11-26-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 08:56 AM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

I just recently installed a set of JOC shocks on my Z51. They are a definite improvement over the OEM shock.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:34 AM
Travlee
Race Director

Originally Posted by Al Gumby
Doug Rippie Motorsports has Bilstein sports revalved for C6's, especially Z06's. Order them with their upgraded poly bushings for a better fit. I have them on my base `08 coupe and they work very well.
hmmm, this actually peaked my interest. almost none of the others say they are for the Z06, mostly just z51 and gs. leaning towards these now
Old 11-11-2016, 09:49 AM
Gary7
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i am thinking of replacing the shocks on my 08Z, but not sure which ones to look into more. has anyone had experience with the Pfadt Johnny O'Connell signature series, bilstein hd, or bilstein sports

appreciate any insight and help. this is my daily for about another year or so... dont mind a little stiffer right
I put Bilstein HDs on my stock 05 C6 last month. Firmed up the ride a little, but suspension seems to accommodate bumps a lot better. Very pleased.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:09 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
I put Bilstein HDs on my stock 05 C6 last month. Firmed up the ride a little, but suspension seems to accommodate bumps a lot better. Very pleased.
I put Bilstein sports on my base Z51 a few months ago, handles like a completely different car now .. I had stock shocks before the Bilsteins.. Bilstein makes a great shock..........WW
Old 11-11-2016, 03:18 PM
Travlee
Race Director

went ahead and ordered the DRM revalved hd bilsteins with the poly bushings. will post up my thoughts on them after i get them on

**edit, dang it... just realized that next weekend me and gf are doing turkey day with her mom and dad before they head out of town, then the next week is turkey day with my family (along with going to the cowboys game). may be a couple weeks before i get a chance to get them on

Last edited by Travlee; 11-11-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Don't intend to hijack the thread, so feel free to reply via personal message.

I'm wondering what is involved when swapping out the stock magnetic-ride shocks (tied into the system traction system) when going with these after market options that clearly aren't going to tie into this system?

I have a 2008 base coupe, though have installed the JOC sway bars front and back.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight08
I'm wondering what is involved when swapping out the stock magnetic-ride shocks (tied into the system traction system) when going with these after market options that clearly aren't going to tie into this system?

I have a 2008 base coupe, though have installed the JOC sway bars front and back.
Replacing the F55 shocks is no different than replacing a regular shock, however, you will need to either (1) tune out the F55 or (2) install F55 shock simulators.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:23 PM
Saltywheels
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had WCC replace my antique OEM shocks with Bilstein HD & new simulators. Wow! What a difference. Feels so much more 'planted'
Old 11-11-2016, 06:26 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Replacing the F55 shocks is no different than replacing a regular shock, however, you will need to either (1) tune out the F55 or (2) install F55 shock simulators.
Interesting. I do have the F55 shocks. Pros and cons of those two options?
Old 11-11-2016, 07:49 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight08
Interesting. I do have the F55 shocks. Pros and cons of those two options?
I guess it would really come down to cost.

The F55 shock simulators run about $200 for the set.
However, if you have a friend with a Tech2 (or dealer hookup), you might be able to get it tuned out cheap or free.

Personally, I would rather have it disabled in the computer versus using the simulators to trick the computer into thinking the F55 shocks are still there. But that’s just me.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:15 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by Homer3D
I guess it would really come down to cost.

The F55 shock simulators run about $200 for the set.
However, if you have a friend with a Tech2 (or dealer hookup), you might be able to get it tuned out cheap or free.

Personally, I would rather have it disabled in the computer versus using the simulators to trick the computer into thinking the F55 shocks are still there. But that’s just me.
Thanks for the info. As a practical matter, unless I was spending a lot more time on a track, I don't think the expense does enough to worry about, and as few miles as are on my car, it will be some years before I need a replacement.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:37 PM
Travlee
Race Director

these were just delivered, i got the poly bushings (which the GF will prob hate) but kinda confused on them... will prob make more sense on how they go in when i get the car up and disassembled

Originally Posted by Al Gumby
you might be able to help me with the bushings

Last edited by Travlee; 11-17-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Shock Replacement

Old 11-17-2016, 08:40 PM
Travlee
Race Director

Originally Posted by Saltywheels
Just had WCC replace my antique OEM shocks with Bilstein HD & new simulators. Wow! What a difference. Feels so much more 'planted'
i have their heads on my car, wish they were closer.... but on the plus side, i have 21st century muscle cars locally, which is one of the lingenfelter kids shop
Old 11-17-2016, 09:22 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

these were just delivered, i got the poly bushings (which the GF will prob hate) but kinda confused on them... will prob make more sense on how they go in when i get the car up and disassembled

you might be able to help me with the bushings
I just did the DRM valved Bilsteins on my '07 Z06. Pretty straightforward.

You re-use the bracket off the stock shocks, but nothing else.

With the DRM Bilsteins, you will have a bag of 2 bushings, 2 washers and a nut with each shock in each box. You will also have 2 separate bags in one of the boxes with 8 poly bushings from DRM.

Set aside the 2 bushings that come in the Bilstein bag, you won't need them. The 8 bushings from DRM are of two varieties - 4 each. One has a female end and one has a male end. They "fit" together, so it is easy to tell them apart.

So for each shock, you need two of the poly bushings that fit together, two washers from the Bilstein bag and the nut.

For the rears: Take the rubber band off the end of the shock bolt. Then slide one of the washers on the bolt, with the "open" end (concave) facing towards the end of the bolt (up away from the boot). Then slide the male ended bushing up to the washer, with the smaller male part facing towards the end of the bolt (up). It will kind of fit inside of the washer. Then the bracket goes over the bolt. Then the female bushing and finally the last washer, this time with the female end "down" and the "concave" part of the washer down. Then you tighten the nut over the whole operation. You will need to hold the bolt in place with a hex to tighten the nut.

So the order is Washer-bushing-bracket-bushing-washer-nut. It should all fit together nice. The male bushing will slightly push through the bracket and fit into the female bushing. So with the rear shocks, you assemble the whole shock off the car, then bolt it back on.

With the front shocks, the bracket is basically the car, so you put the first washer and bushing on the shock, same as the rears, then install in the car. Then the top bushing and washer and nut are installed from inside the engine bay. Enjoy holding the bolt in place and tightening the nut inside the engine bay! Such a treat....
Old 11-18-2016, 07:09 AM
Travlee
Race Director

awesome, thanks so much for that explanation. it makes more sense now. i am going to try to get them on sometime next week

Quick Reply: Shock Replacement