C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 10:31 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Default Corvette wheel bearings

I had the RF wheel bearing replaced under warranty (after fighting with the dealer for 4 months) on my 08 coupe. The car had a consistent rotational chuffing sound when coming to a stop. When jacked up the wheel turned free with no sound. This bad bearing happened at around 13,000 miles. The car now has 27,000 miles and the left front wheel bearing is doing the same thing. Are wheel bearings a problem on these cars? As far as I know there have not been any recalls for this but 2 bad wheel bearings in 27,000 miles seems excessive to me. No this car has never been raced on a road course.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:20 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I replaced mine with the SKF performance bearing at $400 each, but others have bought cheap ones for $75, and have not had any issues.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:26 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I've replaced 2 out of 4 on the C6 and 3 out of 4 on my GM truck.. but they were closer to 100K. I'm surprised they're giving you issues that early
Old 09-05-2016, 06:44 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

When I needed 1 replaced at 98K, just months before the 5/100 warranty expired, the dealer did both fronts. They couldn't determine for sure which one was bad and suspected it might be both. The service advisor said hub replacement was a common thing in the 80-120K mileage range. Since then I've replaced both my rear bearings and one of those twice. I also replaced both fronts on the wife's Caddy and one of those twice also. The most recent one with the Caddy was on for18 months with a 3 year warranty. The originals died around 80K miles. Before I installed the hub, I rotated it by hand and felt a bad spot, so back to the store in search of one that was smooth.
The moral of the story is, don't trust the new replacement without checking it first. They aren't always good when new. Robotics are great for consistency of assembly, but don't check well for minor deviations that may be introduced to the processing.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:57 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I've replaced 2 out of 4 on the C6 and 3 out of 4 on my GM truck.. but they were closer to 100K. I'm surprised they're giving you issues that early
the first bad bearing was replaced under the extended warranty in 2014. I took it back to my dealer twice and they said they could not verify a bad bearing so they refused to warranty it. They said they could hear the chuffing or rubbing sound when coming to a stop but didn't think it was a wheel bearing. I have larger erataspeed rotors on the car (front & rear) so they blamed that at first in 2014. They have not said anything about the problem now because I have not taken the car in yet. Sounds like the LF this time to me. Just looking for input right now.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:36 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jstewart
the first bad bearing was replaced under the extended warranty in 2014. I took it back to my dealer twice and they said they could not verify a bad bearing so they refused to warranty it. They said they could hear the chuffing or rubbing sound when coming to a stop but didn't think it was a wheel bearing. I have larger erataspeed rotors on the car (front & rear) so they blamed that at first in 2014. They have not said anything about the problem now because I have not taken the car in yet. Sounds like the LF this time to me. Just looking for input right now.
The service manual states that when vibration sounds can't be positively identified as to source or cause, that the procedure is to use the J 38792-A Electronic Vibration Analyzer 2 tool. If it's not available, there are a whole lot of other procedures to be used to do the testing. There are 77 pages dealing with vibrations, so let them know you are aware of these facts and you want to see the results of their testing.

The other solution that will save you a lot of time and probably money in the long run, is to just get a new hub from Autozone and install it yourself. About $100 and less than an hour to install. If it didn't cure the problem, tell the dealer to fix whatever is wrong and keep the old one as a spare. If it did, you're done.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:06 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,897 Likes on 1,915 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I replaced all 4 when I thought one was bad. SKF from Amazon. Not to bad to do. There are some good videos to walk you through the process.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:24 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

The bearings that came from the factory suck, cheap garbage. I replaced 2 rear on my Corvette with ebay Chinese about $40 each from a seller I've used before. I have Chinese replacements on my camaro for a couple hundred thousand miles. Not everything made in China is junk. Spend as much as you like just make sure they have a I.S.O. standard in manufacturing or a Like Quality Rating.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:43 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on the SFK hubs.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:37 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks for the advice. I want to resolve this issue as I have all the parts to do another NA upgrade and I don't want to put more HP & TQ through the driveline before fixing this.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette wheel bearings

Quick Reply: Corvette wheel bearings