C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whine from clutch area. TO Bearing? Torque Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 10:00 PM
smonska
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Whine from clutch area. TO Bearing? Torque Tube?

10' GS, 19k miles, 6 speed manual. Anyone have experience with this?

I have a supercharger-like bearing whine that moves with torque tube speed. Stopped with the clutch in is silence. In neutral with the clutch pedal out, it changes with engine RPM. Putting slight pressure on the pedal makes no difference to the sound as I would expect with a TO bearing. With the clutch held in, rolling down the road at say 30mph, changing gears changes the pitch of the whine.

So, I thought I had a torque tube bearing that is bad, but the noise here isn't like any of the videos I've seen or descriptions found. It's a supercharger-like whine, not a marbles in a can sound others have described and there's zero vibration. Could this be the throwout/actuator bearing?
Old 05-18-2016, 01:31 PM
Schoolteacher
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smonska
10' GS, 19k miles, 6 speed manual. Anyone have experience with this?

I have a supercharger-like bearing whine that moves with torque tube speed. Stopped with the clutch in is silence. In neutral with the clutch pedal out, it changes with engine RPM. Putting slight pressure on the pedal makes no difference to the sound as I would expect with a TO bearing. With the clutch held in, rolling down the road at say 30mph, changing gears changes the pitch of the whine.

So, I thought I had a torque tube bearing that is bad, but the noise here isn't like any of the videos I've seen or descriptions found. It's a supercharger-like whine, not a marbles in a can sound others have described and there's zero vibration. Could this be the throwout/actuator bearing?

Yes had the same issue. Throwout bearing was defective so I changed the slave and clutch.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:19 PM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

This doesn't meet the criteria for it to be the throw out bearing. If changing gears with the pedal down changes the pitch, it is most likely the trans. Bad torque tube bearings don't whine. Have you checked your trans fluid level/condition? I've seen some end up low, and the input gear gets starved for lube.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:02 AM
smonska
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did check the trans oil, it is clear with no metal flakes, at the correct level, a light dribble when I removed the fill plug. I had changed trans oil to Amsoil TorqueDrive about 2 years ago as well. The whine is clearly from the front of the car, though I'm aware sounds can "travel".

The car still shifts perfectly.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:10 AM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Does the car whine while under power in various gears? What about 4th gear? 4th is different than all of the others, since power isn't transmitted through the countershaft.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:29 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 685 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by smonska
I did check the trans oil, it is clear with no metal flakes, at the correct level, a light dribble when I removed the fill plug. I had changed trans oil to Amsoil TorqueDrive about 2 years ago as well. The whine is clearly from the front of the car, though I'm aware sounds can "travel".

The car still shifts perfectly.
Hi smonska,

I regret to see that you are experiencing a whining concern in your Grand Sport, and recognize that you are seeking the advice of fellow forum members. As we are not technicians, I can’t speculate on what is causing this. However, I would be more than willing to get you into contact with a certified dealer to diagnose your vehicle. If this sounds like something you would be interested in, please send us a private message with your VIN, full contact information, and preferred dealer. I look forward to your response.

Best,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-19-2016, 02:40 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Probably torque tube bearings.m. Is it like a whirling noise? Can you get a video? Mine never rattled, it was just a dry bearing spinning kind of noise.

If it doesn't happen when the clutch is pushed down then it's doubtful it's the pilot bearing or throw out bearing.

Last edited by schpenxel; 05-19-2016 at 02:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Whine from clutch area. TO Bearing? Torque Tube?

Quick Reply: Whine from clutch area. TO Bearing? Torque Tube?