C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

npp muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 04:53 PM
TheMTazzi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default npp muffler question

Hi guys. I just ordered an npp exhaust system for my 2006 corvette and I was just wondering if I can manually keep the exhaust valve open for the npp. The thing is I don't have the money to wire a system to control it and would rather keep them open.any input with pictures and instructions if you can help will be much appreciated.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:01 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMTazzi
Hi guys. I just ordered an npp exhaust system for my 2006 corvette and I was just wondering if I can manually keep the exhaust valve open for the npp. The thing is I don't have the money to wire a system to control it and would rather keep them open.any input with pictures and instructions if you can help will be much appreciated.
They are operated using actuators & butterfly valves. W/out the factory vacuum tube that is used on the stock setup, they should default to the open position if I'm not mistaken. You should be all set. If that doesn't work, you can remove the actuators & send them to me. I need to buy a set of NPP actuators for the NPP exhaust that I'm selling. I removed them to use on the mufflers that I bought. No one wants to buy my old NPP mufflers w/out the actuators...

Last edited by dmoneychris; 03-19-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:16 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I suspect, very strongly, you're not going to be happy with that system open all the time.. I've ridden in NPP cars when they are open, it's fun and sounds good cruising into a car show or at the drag strip.

But the constant drone at highway speeds is horrible. If you have headers, it's deafening as well.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:29 PM
TheMTazzi
Instructor

Well Joe g and d money thanks for the info. If it automatically goes to the open position then that would be awesome . I hope it does. And I'd about the drone I blast mt stereo anyway man. I hope they stay open
Old 03-19-2016, 05:47 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I am pretty sure also that it defaults to open, that's why the cars "bark" when you first start them.

I'll just make one last warning comment... lol Guys my age (like David Freiberger editor of Hot Rod) who have this are cursing their decisions to not protect their ears as young bucks. I'm the guy folks make fun of with his fingers in his ears at the drag strip if I forget my ear plugs...lol

Even so it apparently hasn't helped, while I don't have ringing in my ears, my wife says I never hear what she's saying....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus
The following users liked this post:
dmoneychris (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 05:54 PM
TheMTazzi
Instructor

Actually, I decided to do some investigative work of my own and from what I can't tell guys is the ones I ordered are in fact defaulted open. This I can tell by the position of the valve from a video I saw. When the valves are closed it's pressed closer against the valve, when the fuse is pulled for the npp they appear as the baffle is much more out ward. So, I think they are open and I hope they are when I get them
Old 03-19-2016, 05:58 PM
TheMTazzi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I am pretty sure also that it defaults to open, that's why the cars "bark" when you first start them.

I'll just make one last warning comment... lol Guys my age (like David Freiberger editor of Hot Rod) who have this are cursing their decisions to not protect their ears as young bucks. I'm the guy folks make fun of with his fingers in his ears at the drag strip if I forget my ear plugs...lol

Even so it apparently hasn't helped, while I don't have ringing in my ears, my wife says I never hear what she's saying....

And I know man all about tinnitus I do actually have it. I'm only 23 but I was in a school band and band for years since I was 14. My ears are **** lol.but ty for the concern.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:16 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

After a long tour in 'Trash-Can-Istan' & getting blown up inside of V-shape hull MRAP vehicles multiple times, I have a constant BEEEEEEEEE in my ears & there's no P on the end...I have a hard time hearing what my wife says also. She says; Something, Something, Something, You're always, Something, Something, You never, Something, Something, Something, Why don't you, Something, Something, Something...That's what I hear anyways...lol

Last edited by dmoneychris; 03-19-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:49 PM
mrk1957
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes, the butterflies are normally open. I recently installed my bi modes this week, along with headers.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:26 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by mrk1957
Yes, the butterflies are normally open. I recently installed my bi modes this week, along with headers.

NPP systems without any controllers or vacuum hoses attached are always OPEN.

This assumes the stock vacuum servo motors are still attached to the muffler tips (the servos have internal springs to keep the valves in the open position if no vacuum is applied). If the servos have been removed, the flaps will be loose to 'flap' open/closed at random.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:49 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes as others have said it defaults to the loud mode, flappers open.

I have a set of modified Z06 mufflers on my car along with a complete Z06 exhaust. I did hook mine up so I could actuate the flappers. With that said I've closed mine off probably <10 times in the last 10,000 miles. I drive 30 miles ea way to work and in the morning 5 of those times is when I shut it off. I don't find the drone to be that bad, compared to Dynomax mufflers on my C4 it isn't anything. The drone from those things was very annoying.

For under $150 you can get a 3 way valve, brass fittings, hose, remote switch and an add a fuse and have it hooked up to operate if you want it to.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:43 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yes, they are open if not connected to anything

The drone is HORRIBLE under 2K RPM's or so. Like, deafening sub woofer bass kind of drone. I do not recommend leaving them disconnected

You can hook them straight to a vacuum source and they'll stay shut until you give it some gas.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:24 PM
Porxter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dmoneychris
After a long tour in 'Trash-Can-Istan' & getting blown up inside of V-shape hull MRAP vehicles multiple times, I have a constant BEEEEEEEEE in my ears & there's no P on the end...I have a hard time hearing what my wife says also. She says; Something, Something, Something, You're always, Something, Something, You never, Something, Something, Something, Why don't you, Something, Something, Something...That's what I hear anyways...lol
Hahahaha - they all sound like that!!
Old 03-22-2016, 07:36 PM
Pilgrim86314
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I suspect, very strongly, you're not going to be happy with that system open all the time.. I've ridden in NPP cars when they are open, it's fun and sounds good cruising into a car show or at the drag strip.

But the constant drone at highway speeds is horrible. If you have headers, it's deafening as well.
Been there, done that, and didn't like it.

Pilgrim
Old 03-28-2016, 04:37 PM
ToppThat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

One of the first and easiest mods I did was the dead pedal mild to wild switch and a muffler mod I did myself (got to t.i.g it) you'll never get used to that change in decibels!
Old 03-29-2016, 10:00 AM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I added them to my grand sport, and they stay open the whole time. The drone on the highway is not bad, as the sound they make all the time greatly outweighs the drone. I also drive with the windows, top off a lot.

Get notified of new replies

To npp muffler question

Quick Reply: npp muffler question