C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle shift mod ?????/

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 06:43 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default Paddle shift mod ?????/

I did the paddle shift mod where you switch the wires and it works great except as soon as I re connected the battery the air bag light came on and stays on.

When I did the mod I.....

disconnected the battery.

removed the air bag and laid it on the steering wheel without disconnecting the wires.

unplugged the steering wheel control and switched the wires

plugged the harness back in.

placed the air bag on the steering wheel and pressed into place.

connected the battery.

mod works but air bag light stays on.

what could I have done to cause this? I checked for codes with Torque and found none. Is there a separate fuse for the air bag someplace?
Old 03-09-2016, 07:32 PM
PHILLY JOE
PHILLY JOE

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Did you move the drivers seat all the way back. The air bag plug is under the seat. Sometimes they come undone or have to be sprayed with contact cleaner, move the seat all the way foward. It is the back plug i believe yellow.
The following users liked this post:
ls1121 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 08:25 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by PHILLY JOE
Did you move the drivers seat all the way back. The air bag plug is under the seat. Sometimes they come undone or have to be sprayed with contact cleaner, move the seat all the way foward. It is the back plug i believe yellow.
I will check that in the morning when there is more light. Thanx.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:31 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
I will check that in the morning when there is more light. Thanx.
There is a fuse for air bags.
SDM/AOS
Sensing and Diagnostic Module, Automatic Occupant Sensing Module Fuse 10 A - in passenger footwell.

Many owners who have intermittent air bag alarms caused by the seat connector, is to tie wrap the yellow connector under the seat so it stays tightly connected, when the seat moves.
If the air bag connector under the seat (Yellow Connector) is tight, then the only other thing to check is
the little yellow locking tabs for the steering wheel air bag module connectors.
When you removed the air bag from the steering wheel, those locking tabs may of moved a bit and are not sitting down fully.
If those plastic locking tabs are not pushed in all the way down, to lock in the connectors, it will bring up an air bag alarm that will not clear until those tabs make contact with the module.

The color of your locking tabs may be light brown, but here is a pic of what to look for (yellow locking tabs) in this case (2006).

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 03-10-2016 at 12:55 AM.
ls1121 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 04:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the paddle shift mod where you switch the wires and it works great except as soon as I re connected the battery the air bag light came on and stays on.

When I did the mod I.....

disconnected the battery.

removed the air bag and laid it on the steering wheel without disconnecting the wires.

unplugged the steering wheel control and switched the wires

plugged the harness back in.

placed the air bag on the steering wheel and pressed into place.

connected the battery.

mod works but air bag light stays on.

what could I have done to cause this? I checked for codes with Torque and found none. Is there a separate fuse for the air bag someplace?
Do you have a link that shows how to do this? My paddles work terribly. Does it speed up the shifting?
ls1121 (03-12-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 05:50 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 4498
Do you have a link that shows how to do this? My paddles work terribly. Does it speed up the shifting?
The mod does not improve shifting speed, but it does make it so the right paddle and the left paddle are opposite.
ie: After the mod, the right paddle finger position upshifts. The left paddle stays the same and the left paddle finger position downshifts.

The only way to improve shift paddle speed is to do a transmission tune, which most tuners have no problem to do.
If you are interested in doing the paddle change mod, I can post the PDF of the process.
Dan Bratten initially put the instructions as a thread way back when.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 03-10-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:50 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
There is a fuse for air bags.
SDM/AOS
Sensing and Diagnostic Module, Automatic Occupant Sensing Module Fuse 10 A - in passenger footwell.

Many owners who have intermittent air bag alarms caused by the seat connector, is to tie wrap the yellow connector under the seat so it stays tightly connected, when the seat moves.
If the air bag connector under the seat (Yellow Connector) is tight, then the only other thing to check is
the little yellow locking tabs for the steering wheel air bag module connectors.
When you removed the air bag from the steering wheel, those locking tabs may of moved a bit and are not sitting down fully.
If those plastic locking tabs are not pushed in all the way down, to lock in the connectors, it will bring up an air bag alarm that will not clear until those tabs make contact with the module.

The color of your locking tabs may be light brown, but here is a pic of what to look for (yellow locking tabs) in this case (2006).

BINGO we have a winner. One of the locking clips was loose and I guess when I removed the air bag it was enough to make it lose the connection.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:26 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

BINGO we have a winner. One of the locking clips was loose and I guess when I removed the air bag it was enough to make it lose the connection.
I'm glad that you were able to correct the air bag light issue.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:53 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

I'm glad that you were able to correct the air bag light issue.
Where would we be without Paul ??
Oh and since I just removed my seat I had one of the little locking pins that was loose when I did it, just laying there but still attached with a small plastic lanyard that looked like a sword, so when I re-installed the seat I made sure the 2 pins were clicked in, sort of different than your illustration Paul. Maybe they changed them as the years go by, just FYI
NSF
Old 03-12-2016, 04:41 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Where would we be without Paul ??
Oh and since I just removed my seat I had one of the little locking pins that was loose when I did it, just laying there but still attached with a small plastic lanyard that looked like a sword, so when I re-installed the seat I made sure the 2 pins were clicked in, sort of different than your illustration Paul. Maybe they changed them as the years go by, just FYI
NSF
The clips (tabs) I showed in the pic was from the steering wheel air bag that locks in the connector.

I think I know which ones you are referring to under the seat. The two little blue stab clips for the yellow connector?

Old 03-12-2016, 06:12 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

The clips (tabs) I showed in the pic was from the steering wheel air bag that locks in the connector.

I think I know which ones you are referring to under the seat. The two little blue stab clips for the yellow connector?

Oh, OK, yep your correct ole buddy
NSF

Get notified of new replies

To Paddle shift mod ?????/

Quick Reply: Paddle shift mod ?????/