C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Throttle Response At Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 04:53 PM
badboytorito23
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default No Throttle Response At Start Up

Hey guys Ive been having a problem with my 06 auto. On startup the car starts perfectly fine but there is no throttle response. When I press the pedal the throttle body butterfly doesn't open. After a minute or two it starts working perfectly fine. The ecm doesn't trip any codes. Any ideas or suggestions on what can be causing this?
Old 08-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Originally Posted by badboytorito23
Hey guys Ive been having a problem with my 06 auto. On startup the car starts perfectly fine but there is no throttle response. When I press the pedal the throttle body butterfly doesn't open. After a minute or two it starts working perfectly fine. The ecm doesn't trip any codes. Any ideas or suggestions on what can be causing this?

With no codes, the ECM is not seeing any difference in the Accelerator pedal position sensor when you push the gas pedal down.

Check the Accelerator pedal position connector first (pull and clean both sides with spray contact cleaner, then plug it back in), then check the Accelerator pedal position next to verify that you are getting different resistance readings as you are moving the pedal (may be able to flush it with contract cleaner as well to clean the restat pads). If both are good, then you need to work back up line to the next connector plug for the wiring harness to make sure that it clean, and don't have a break in the wiring as well.

#2 connector and then sensor itself,
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...erator%20pedal

Also, since the car will start and hold its idle, we know that the throttle body sensor and wiring are fine.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-03-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:43 AM
badboytorito23
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dano523
With no codes, the ECM is not seeing any difference in the Accelerator pedal position sensor when you push the gas pedal down.

Check the Accelerator pedal position connector first (pull and clean both sides with spray contact cleaner, then plug it back in), then check the Accelerator pedal position next to verify that you are getting different resistance readings as you are moving the pedal (may be able to flush it with contract cleaner as well to clean the restat pads). If both are good, then you need to work back up line to the next connector plug for the wiring harness to make sure that it clean, and don't have a break in the wiring as well.

#2 connector and then sensor itself,
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...erator%20pedal

Also, since the car will start and hold its idle, we know that the throttle body sensor and wiring are fine.
Perfect thanks for the response. I'll try it out this weekend and hopefully hammer down on the problem.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:35 PM
badboytorito23
Intermediate

Update: swapped out accelerator pedal for a new one and problem still exists. I turn on the car and it starts up fine but I have no throttle response until a minute or 2 of idling
Old 08-05-2015, 12:28 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Update: swapped out accelerator pedal for a new one and problem still exists. I turn on the car and it starts up fine but I have no throttle response until a minute or 2 of idling
Data log/scan the car running to see which sensor is not showing a difference in voltage reading as you press the gas pedal down and the car is running (where you have a wiring problem since you weeded out just a bad pedal sensor).

The TB sensor should be changing voltages since the car is holding a steady idle and you want to check the Accelerator pedal sensor to make sure that it changing voltages as you push down on the pedal.

P.S, with the min or two thing, would dare to guess that the wiring problem is in the engine bay area, since as the engine bay wiring heats up, it's solving the bad connection problem.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:58 PM
Schoolteacher
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue please keep me updated on the solution.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:26 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Data log/scan the car running to see which sensor is not showing a difference in voltage reading as you press the gas pedal down and the car is running (where you have a wiring problem since you weeded out just a bad pedal sensor).

The TB sensor should be changing voltages since the car is holding a steady idle and you want to check the Accelerator pedal sensor to make sure that it changing voltages as you push down on the pedal.

P.S, with the min or two thing, would dare to guess that the wiring problem is in the engine bay area, since as the engine bay wiring heats up, it's solving the bad connection problem.
According to Alldatadiy for a 2008 base coupe, the only connector between the APP and the ecm is X180, which is #15 in the illustration below.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:23 PM
dmaleck
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I have this same problem after an autocal tune.. Anyone have any idea what could of been messed with to cause this problem? Starts fine..no throttle response at all for a min or two and then it comes back perfect. Sorry for bumping an old thread!
Old 05-02-2017, 11:17 PM
ChrisCorvette06
4th Gear

Bump. Anyone found a solution to this?
Old 05-03-2017, 01:03 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

could it be that the computer is doing what it's supposed to do to get the car started and running? do you need the push the pedal down instantly upon start-up? after all that's why you have the computer ain't it? the days of pumping the pedal are over.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:23 PM
ChrisCorvette06
4th Gear

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
could it be that the computer is doing what it's supposed to do to get the car started and running? do you need the push the pedal down instantly upon start-up? after all that's why you have the computer ain't it? the days of pumping the pedal are over.
Well when I first start the car and it is cold, I don't have a problem with it since I let it warm up. The thing is that it does it every time it is turned off and back on which can get annoying. For example, if I enter the store for a few minutes and have to wait for the throttle to decide to start working once i start the car.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:24 PM
badboytorito23
Intermediate

Update: Ended up being a tuning issue. Tuner found the problem and issue is gone.

Last edited by badboytorito23; 08-21-2018 at 12:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mam3128 (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 08:57 AM
mam3128
7th Gear

badboytorito23 would you mind asking tuner what they "fixed"?
Old 12-10-2020, 07:31 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

His response is from 2 years ago. But I found this thread interesting. I wanted to record the start up of my '06. I wanted a little more vroom at startup. So I pressed down a bit on the gas pedal and pushed the start button. Nothing happened. It ignored the extra pedal and started normally. So perhaps this is normal and startup is governed by the computer.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:45 PM
jonjoy
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Trebor
His response is from 2 years ago. But I found this thread interesting. I wanted to record the start up of my '06. I wanted a little more vroom at startup. So I pressed down a bit on the gas pedal and pushed the start button. Nothing happened. It ignored the extra pedal and started normally. So perhaps this is normal and startup is governed by the computer.

everything in the car is governed by the computer! now if you were to hold the pedal to the floor it shuts the fuel off to allow cranking without starting.

Get notified of new replies

To No Throttle Response At Start Up

Quick Reply: No Throttle Response At Start Up