C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocked!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 04:52 PM
jerfis
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shocked!

I have a 2007 C6 Z51 with 73K on the clock. I was wondering when I should change the shocks. I do not know how to check them because the old method of pushing down on the bumper doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:29 PM
Wampa
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My opinion: If you can't detect any obvious performance difference while driving and are looking for a test method...they are good. what made you wonder if they are good? miles alone? I think many of us are prone to obsessing over finding potential problems that aren't there P.S. I replaced mine with Bilsteins at 32,800 miles and 4 yrs old....so I get it. I noticed absolutely no difference, but was relatively inexpensive and fun DIY project.

Last edited by Wampa; 04-16-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:52 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Wampa
My opinion: If you can't detect any obvious performance difference while driving and are looking for a test method...they are good. what made you wonder if they are good? miles alone? I think many of us are prone to obsessing over finding potential problems that aren't there P.S. I replaced mine with Bilsteins at 32,800 miles and 4 yrs old....so I get it. I noticed absolutely no difference, but was relatively inexpensive and fun DIY project.
I replaced the shocks on my '74 Trans Am with Bilsteins in 1978....they are still doing fine. When you do replace the shocks, any aftermarket will be an improvement over the oems...they are throw away items.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:10 PM
USAF-Vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wampa
My opinion:I think many of us are prone to obsessing over finding potential problems that aren't there P.S. I replaced mine with Bilsteins at 32,800 miles and 4 yrs old....so I get it. I noticed absolutely no difference, but was relatively inexpensive and fun DIY project.
Too funny....absolutely true!
You should have seen me obsess over motor oil 8 years ago.
I too swapped the stockers for Bilstein HD's...I'm not sure handling changed at all. Perhaps if I pushed it to the limit, which I won't because I'm too scared.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:23 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Shocks are generally rated for 50-60,000 miles. My opinion is it's time for a change. Shocks wear out over time and we really do not notice the change, unless they just break. I replaced mine with bilstein HD, they ride good after a ton of hassle, I would not buy them again. If I ever decide to replace mine again I will try the Koni.

Get notified of new replies

To Shocked!

Quick Reply: Shocked!