C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal hard as a rock after clutch install.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 11:24 AM
stephenpen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitufina
Now the 500 miles break in
Never got to put the 500 miles on it. The slave started leaking before I was able to leave my street. Fluid is coming out the bottom of the bell housing. I have the worst luck. The car has been parked for a couple weeks while to put myself back together.
Time to research pulling the trans.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by stephenpen
Never got to put the 500 miles on it. The slave started leaking before I was able to leave my street. Fluid is coming out the bottom of the bell housing. I have the worst luck. The car has been parked for a couple weeks while to put myself back together.
Time to research pulling the trans.
Are you sure it's at the slave and not on the quick connection? Did you use a new slave? Sorry to hear about it.

It is not hard to do the job, just time consuming.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:28 AM
stephenpen
Racer

I'm hoping its the bleeder connection.
The slave is brand new from Hinson. Anyone know what kinda of warranty they come with. Can't seem to get a reply from Hinson.
I picked up a second hand vehicle lift last week to make the job easier. Just need to get the electrical wired up and I'm going to tear into it. I'm going to start with lowering down the sub frame enough to remove the bleeder and have a look inside the bell. Hopefully I'll be able to see where its leaking.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:46 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,195 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

We just finished installing a new motor and clutch setup and we ran into problems trying to bleed the slave

The clutch pedal went solid and will not compress. It's stuck up top. We installed a new slave cylinder with a new McLeod rxt and not sure what's going on.
The pedal was stuck to the floor so we pulled it up a couple times and then it went solid. The only way to release it is to remove the Slave at the master and compress the little fitting on the master. (Fitting is in the quick connect fitting)
What i think is happening is the master and slave are not matting together properly to allow fluid to transfer. There is a little piece in the master that gets presses when u attached the slave cylinder to it to allow fluid to move. I think it's not getting pressed enough causing it to go solid.
We can open up the bleeder and disconnect the slave from the master and the pedal is still solid.
What do u guys think. My next step is to replace the master but I don't want to if I don't have to.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
You CAN take apart the slave to master connector (big black one) and remove the valve that you were talking about. Obviously fluid will be everywhere so you have to work pretty quick after you do it, but that is how mine is right now. Works fine after you get it together.

Are you using a remote bleeder? If so, from who?
Old 06-01-2015, 09:23 AM
stephenpen
Racer

Well I found the problem. The new gm slave is shot. Lots like the Mcleod RXT took it out. Sucks to have a $1000 tied up in this RXT and Im afraid to use it. I'm debating using a different clutch so I dont have to worry about this again.
I'm waiting for Mcleod Tech to open to see what they suggest.

I was really expecting to see the bleeder line leaking.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:26 AM
stephenpen
Racer

Thats exactly what we ended up doing. Worked great

Originally Posted by schpenxel
You CAN take apart the slave to master connector (big black one) and remove the valve that you were talking about. Obviously fluid will be everywhere so you have to work pretty quick after you do it, but that is how mine is right now. Works fine after you get it together.

Are you using a remote bleeder? If so, from who?
Old 06-01-2015, 10:05 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,195 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Thats exactly what we ended up doing. Worked great
NP.

Yeah I couldn't get mine together with that valve still in.. not sure why. I wonder if GM has a special tool for making that connection, or if I'm just a wuss, lol
Old 06-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Well I found the problem. The new gm slave is shot. Lots like the Mcleod RXT took it out.
Really not buying this, and would bank more that it was a install problem, with not checking to make sure that you had enough free slack between the clutch fingers and the TP bearing with the slave compressed all the way in.

When the free gap clearance is not correct (not enough), then the clutch fingers are pretty much tensioned against the TP bearing constantly with the TP bearing under heavy pressure 100% of the time (over what the return spring would normally just hold the TO bearing lightly against the fingers instead), which cause too much heat, and thing start to go south from there instead.

So on that note, Mcleod may help you out, but does sound like an install clearance problem from the start.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:50 PM
SlowBusa08
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

whether it's McCleods problem or not it seems to be a common issue. plenty of guys on this forum with their clutches and stock slaves that get fried in a few thousand miles. I think there's a thread right now with one of the vendors asking who all has had slave failures with McCleod clutches.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:13 PM
dev1360
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

There are clutches that put much more stress on the slave seals than the RXT. It uses half of the clamping load of a high power single disk.

Stock GM slave cylinders commonly fail. It's the nature of the part. Lots of heat, and lots of pressure on a small seal.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:22 PM
stephenpen
Racer

Default Clutch pedal hard as a rock after clutch install.

I finally got my car all sorted out. Very happy with it now. It made some big numbers on the dyno. I was very surprised
811 wheel hp on only 12lbs. Not too shabby for a stock L96 6.0L with a cam.
Attached Images  

Last edited by stephenpen; 06-26-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:42 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Nice!
Old 06-28-2015, 10:29 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Awesome! Did you end up using an rxt or what?
Old 06-28-2015, 10:50 PM
stephenpen
Racer

Default Clutch pedal hard as a rock after clutch install.

I'm still running the rxt. It seems to be working great. Turns out I got shipped a gm slave cylinder without a throw out bearing and we never noticed it. That's why it failed so fast.
So far so good with the rxt
Old 06-30-2015, 06:59 PM
sliderbkt
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you got it all sorted out. I have another option for anyone who runs into this in the future. I could not get the quick connect together when I put a new slave in mine. I ended up taking the fitting off of the used slave and putting it on the new slave.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:26 PM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 288 Likes on 192 Posts

Default Clutch quick disconnect assembly.

I was reading this thread because I was having trouble connecting the clutch line quick-disconnect. After about an hour of frustration, I came up with a technique that worked well. I put the two lines loosely together. Then I rotated the black piece so the flat was on top. I then inserted the clip from the top just a little bit. I then used my right hand to pull the two lines together compressing the check valve. At this time, all I had to do was take my right thumb and push down on the clip part way. This was enough to hold everything together. I gripped the two hoses again with my right hand and pulled them together and pushed the clip all the way down with my right index finger. All Done!

John
Old 08-23-2018, 04:19 AM
foxie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Either the center line coupling not connected correctly and blocking the flow of the fluid from the master to the slave,

Or, you did not check your free play of the TB to clutch fingers, and when you installed the clutch, now have the clutch fully disengaged with the slave pinned all the way back in it's rest position.
As if a clutch install isn't hard enough on my Z06, when all back together you find the clutch wont depress, is disheartening to say the least. First port of call was the forum - And thankfully to you guys the answer was here. Indeed the quick disconnect wasn't seated correctly. It hasn't helped, during the clutch install, that the new slave cylinder was damaged out the box, and only noticed because I'd ordered a billet bearing support and had to dismantle it !!

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal hard as a rock after clutch install.