C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily diver Tire advice for 700whp

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 02:51 AM
Boosted355
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ran across this post while trying to research the M/T Drag Radials. I'm running the R888s (295/30-19 and 315/30-20) on my C5 Z06 and actually got a good lifespan out of them, over 2 years and 20k miles at 560 to the ground. I don't do burnouts on them to make them last longer, but they get plenty of flogging. They do really well in the rain and surprise people on how well you quickly can accelerate on them in the rain. !st gear was definitely an ease into it operation and 2nd I'd have to pedal a little bit, but 3rd was almost always solid.

A month ago we stepped the pulley down on the supercharger and added an Alky Control meth kit. Now that it's putting down 670 it boils the R888s. I'm sure part of this is their age and the fact that I have a 4.10 setup out back still (waiting to see what she does at the track before I decide to pull them). Step on it in 1st or 2nd and it immediately blows the tires off. Hammer on it in 3rd gear on the freeway and the tail's wagging a bit while still pulling extremely hard.

So now I'm in the search for something that will work on the track and some late night weekend hunting because these aren't getting it done anymore.

I'm going to buy another set of the R888s for street duty as I don't think that there's anything out there that holds a candle to them when it comes to their ability to grip in the corners, in a straight line and the wet, let alone not get you killed in a downpour. But now I'm going to have to do my best to control my right foot to get a little longevity out of them.

Hopefully this isn't too late to help you make a decision.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:41 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I just came across this thread...

640 RWHP Mustang Dyno

305/30/ZR19 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11

1st gear -
2nd gear -
3rd gear -
4th gear -
5th gear -

I'm basically spot on like the other two people that have around 670 and change. You can pedal 1st and take off quickly (just not full throttle). 2nd gear is hit and miss but it's a guarantee tire light if you just slam the throttle. Roll into it and it may grab. 3rd gear is a guarantee hit unless you hit a bump in the road or something to unload the tires. My old Potenza S04's were similar but 3rd would sometimes light up depending on conditions. Also I can pedal it harder at lower speeds with the RE-11's over the S04's.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:49 AM
killakane1427
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just but on the nt05r and iam more then 700whp and they are not bad in 2-6 after 140 they are a lil shakey but I like the tires

Quick Reply: Daily diver Tire advice for 700whp