C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Belt Retractors

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 03:47 PM
MCharlie
Ham Radio - W7RKN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Seat Belt Retractors

Is there anyway, to change the retractors so they don't lock up, while driving, once they are connected? (I don't want to disable them..I do want them to lock in an accident, should that occur!)

Mine lock so I can not lean forward to clear anything from the right or from the left. I don't want to adjust the mirrors that far out.

None of my other cars lock up like that, under normal driving and seating conditions.

I have tried the seat belt extensions, but the seat belt is up above my belly...very uncomfortable, and unsafe, if a sudden impact occurs.

Is the belt defective, if yes, I'll replace it, but it is terribly annoying.....

Thanks!

Joe
Old 03-08-2015, 05:06 PM
mike72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are not supposed to lock unless you pull all the slack out before fastening them. If you are not pulling all the slack out then I would say yours are defective. Pulling them all the way out engages the cinch mode for use in aggressive driving.

Mike
Old 03-08-2015, 05:29 PM
MCharlie
Ham Radio - W7RKN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mike72
They are not supposed to lock unless you pull all the slack out before fastening them. If you are not pulling all the slack out then I would say yours are defective. Pulling them all the way out engages the cinch mode for use in aggressive driving.

Mike
Perhaps I may be own worst enemy...

I have bad shoulders, and directly pull the buckle over to the latch is quite painful, so...I pull the seat belt out quite a bit, and while holding the excess webbing, I latch the belt.

I will refrain from doing that and see what happens.

Could explain why, like this afternoon, the harness wasn't 'cinched', I believe is how you stated.

Thanks Mike...You may have solved my 'issues'!

Joe
Old 03-08-2015, 05:46 PM
mike72
Pro

Glad to help. Hope your fix is the easy and inexpensive one.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:48 PM
Dark Knight
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mike72
Glad to help. Hope your fix is the easy and inexpensive one.
Good information! I have had the same problem due to being unaware that the seatbelt is designed as a two stage system. This should be added to the C6 quirks list.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,002 Likes on 5,369 Posts

It isn't a quirk. It is a design feature that has been on Corvettes since 1983 when the 84 model was introduced. The C4s actually had a push button latch on the take up reel with the word "Cinch" printed on it. The C5s just required the lap belt be pulled all the way out and the C6 design requires the shoulder belt be pulled all the way out.

When cinch mode is used properly it eliminates some complaints about sliding around in the seat while pulling heavy Gs around corners. I run the seat all the way to the rear pull the shoulder belt all the way to the rear, latch the belt and then force my back into the seat and feed all of the slack from the lap and shoulder belts into the take up reel. Once the belt is tight as hell I run the seat forward so the lap belt is squishing my butt down into the seat bottom and the lap belt is restricting my breathing just a bit. Then I am ready to have fun. If I have a passenger in the car I will stand outside their door and use my body weight to pull the shoulder and lap belt tight while feeding the slack into the reel. Then I run the seat forward until they say the lap belt is causing some pain. Funny how they don't notice the pain when on the track and sometimes wish I had gotten the belt tighter.

Bill
Old 03-11-2015, 01:35 AM
MCharlie
Ham Radio - W7RKN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MCharlie
Perhaps I may be own worst enemy...

I have bad shoulders, and directly pull the buckle over to the latch is quite painful, so...I pull the seat belt out quite a bit, and while holding the excess webbing, I latch the belt.

I will refrain from doing that and see what happens.

Could explain why, like this afternoon, the harness wasn't 'cinched', I believe is how you stated.

Thanks Mike...You may have solved my 'issues'!

Joe
Took the car out today to run some errands. Did not pull the belt out, just across my chest. Worked like a champ. Never did 'cinch'. half dozen times! Never missed a lick.

Many, many, Thanks!

Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Seat Belt Retractors

Quick Reply: Seat Belt Retractors