C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little help please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A little help please!!!!

My transmission started freaking out the other day and I am at a loss as to what's going on. I do not want to go to the shop or pull it until I have exhausted all other options. This is a built Trans with a built triple disc stall. Details in sig below.

Anyway it just started the other day while driving normal. The Trans went into limp mode and here is the list of DTC codes.

DTC
P0562
P0777
P0796
P2714

When I got home I charged the battery all night, cleared my codes and took the car out today. The codes I am tripping now are 0796 & 2714.

It drives and shifts normal 1-3 but freaks out at 4th. It's like it starts slipping then goes into neutral. I pull over shut the car off and restart to get the Trans to go back to normal and it drives fine 1-3.

So come on hit me with some suggestions, why is the solenoid sticking?
Old 01-19-2015, 06:37 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

First thing to check is fluid level. Also, the A6 does not like heavy or WOT when below 140*, but the shifting seems to reset itself after it fully warms the fluid.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:49 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
First thing to check is fluid level. Also, the A6 does not like heavy or WOT when below 140*, but the shifting seems to reset itself after it fully warms the fluid.
I know the fluid level is good, and I alway drive extra nice until the Trans gets to at least 120*. I agree 100% that cold temps make the Trans act weird.

I talked with a mechanic tonight that told me they had a new Camaro that was doing the same type of thing and it turned out to be the passenger side ground wire on the engine block. He said the Trans has two ground wires and if either has a bad connection it will cause all kinds of drama. Has anyone heard of such a situation with our cars?
Old 01-19-2015, 07:26 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Not specifically, but grounds, batt. wires, starter, alternator wires are all problem areas on this car (and probably others, too). Was the mechanic you spoke to at century trans? That is one person I'd speak to first.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:01 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Originally Posted by AORoads
Not specifically, but grounds, batt. wires, starter, alternator wires are all problem areas on this car (and probably others, too). Was the mechanic you spoke to at century trans? That is one person I'd speak to first.

This is a century built Trans as where my last 4 century transmissions. No I did not talk to him because I was not happy with his transmission. It was not until I had Patrick G tune my transmission / car that one of these transmission lasted more than 3 months. One of my century transmissions failed 10 miles from their shop and it was always some one else's fault. He blamed it on the Cirlce D stall converter so I paid to have it tested and it was perfect, then it was a bad valve body so I had that replaced, etc, etc. the last time I had it built I drove to 510 race Engenering and had Pat G tune the whole car, after that I never had another issue with anything.

I know Subfloor and I think he is a great guy but the two of us will never agree on Century. I feel their transmissions are good but their Trans tune is bad when it come to a set up like my car.

The only thing I have done different to the car lately was I turned the DTCs off to pass inspection and I have not turned them back on yet. Could this have something to do with it?
Old 01-19-2015, 11:37 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Would this work for me or would the dealership tell me to kick rocks because of all of my modifications?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...6-problem.html
Old 01-20-2015, 08:40 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 395 Likes on 360 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I think they would really have to be sleeping to do any of that on a Century built trans, but you never know.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:40 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I agree w. above: heavily mod car, and heavily mod trans, I doubt dealer will touch it under any kind of warranty.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:09 AM
Crowhater
Drifting

I have no use for dealerships anyway. This car blew the engine at 1800 on the odo and the dealership voided the warranty and the extended warranty because of a cold air intake and exhaust. Nothing else done to the car, it threw a piston and rod out of the block over the top of the starter. After that I have just taken care of everything my self but I swore I would not buy another GM product from a dealership. As far back as I can remember I always had to fight GM to get the to honor their product. In Highschool and college I drove Z71 4x4 and they would void my warranty because those weak rear diffs and front CV joints always failed.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:38 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Does anyone have any other advise on my problem? I was hoping to get a little more from the tech section before I start pulling it.

I promise you that I will not let anyone but me rebuild this one if it has to be pulled down.

When this is done I am selling the car and moving away from Corvettes. I might buy a bone stock factory C7 ZO6 if I ever run across a deal as long as it has an iron clad warranty. I buy the best for my car, I drive it very little and it seems like something is always failing.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:42 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Crowhater
Does anyone have any other advise on my problem? I was hoping to get a little more from the tech section before I start pulling it.

I promise you that I will not let anyone but me rebuild this one if it has to be pulled down.

When this is done I am selling the car and moving away from Corvettes. I might buy a bone stock factory C7 ZO6 if I ever run across a deal as long as it has an iron clad warranty. I buy the best for my car, I drive it very little and it seems like something is always failing.
Shame to hear this. Wish I had some help to offer but I don't. I rebuilt mine locally, picking all the upgrades myself. I heard to many bad stories about the built trannys, and figured this way if it didn't work out at least it cost me 1/3rd the price. So far holding well for 2 summers, although I don't beat on it too much.
If you decide to rebuild and want some insight, let me know. I am not an expert but can share what has worked for me.

Good luck....
Old 01-20-2015, 01:00 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Shame to hear this. Wish I had some help to offer but I don't. I rebuilt mine locally, picking all the upgrades myself. I heard to many bad stories about the built trannys, and figured this way if it didn't work out at least it cost me 1/3rd the price. So far holding well for 2 summers, although I don't beat on it too much.
If you decide to rebuild and want some insight, let me know. I am not an expert but can share what has worked for me.

Good luck....

Believe me I have seen with my own eyes 1000rwhp cars running a factory Trans. It's all about the tune! If you upgrade the clutches, tig weld up the drums, you can build a very strong Trans. You can also buy the hardened parts yourself or have your parts frozen.

The Century Trans works great from a dead stop, WOT and then let off. Driving on the street, half throttle, traffic, etc, it is a freaking nightmare. Several of the Houston performance shop want nothing to do with your car if it has a Century Trans.

Then you have Circle D, they want so much money for their Trans that you could buy two transmission form someone else. if you want any kind of warranty you have o run their tune and they have to do the install. Also a little bird told me that their Trans tune is a Patric G tune, imagine that. Lololol
Old 01-20-2015, 06:31 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Crowhater
Believe me I have seen with my own eyes 1000rwhp cars running a factory Trans. It's all about the tune! If you upgrade the clutches, tig weld up the drums, you can build a very strong Trans. You can also buy the hardened parts yourself or have your parts frozen.

The Century Trans works great from a dead stop, WOT and then let off. Driving on the street, half throttle, traffic, etc, it is a freaking nightmare. Several of the Houston performance shop want nothing to do with your car if it has a Century Trans.

Then you have Circle D, they want so much money for their Trans that you could buy two transmission form someone else. if you want any kind of warranty you have o run their tune and they have to do the install. Also a little bird told me that their Trans tune is a Patric G tune, imagine that. Lololol

You confirm my thinking of not going with the big dollar builders. Like I said, mine is holding well so far. It works well in all daily driving conditions. I tune it myself, but if I didn't I would definitely seek help from Pat. I hear he does a great job on those trans tunes.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:14 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Originally Posted by realcanuk
You confirm my thinking of not going with the big dollar builders. Like I said, mine is holding well so far. It works well in all daily driving conditions. I tune it myself, but if I didn't I would definitely seek help from Pat. I hear he does a great job on those trans tunes.
For over a year I was buying transmissions and my car ran like crap. I was about to give up on the whole thing and then Pat G tuned my car, talk about a world of difference. I used three different big name shops before Pat and the car was never right. Pat did the tune and when I showed up to get the car he said its done, I figured he would have to adjust the tune several times to dail it in but he said nope it's done go have fun. That was it the car was done and the Trans worked flawless, it was the best decision I made. Patrick G lives up to all the hype for sure.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:04 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

OP: Have you talked with Victor at his shop, VZ Autoworks? He has helped me many times with my trans problems.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:26 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Well I pulled the Trans and broke it down. The snap ring on the 4,5,6 drum failed and smoked those clutches. The bushing for that drum was also damaged. Mystery solved.

Get notified of new replies

To A little help please!!!!

Quick Reply: A little help please!!!!