C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What M/T Drag Radials Recommended for C6 Base Model with 750 RWHP

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Guys keep in mind he has standard rear fenders so anything wider than 305 is going to rub unless he has some custom offset wheels.

Dennis I think the 305/35/18 M/T's are the hot ticket for those what want to run a DR on the street. Hoosiers cannot be run if there is any risk of a puddle, they are a full slick. M/T's have good siping and work pretty well in the rain until they get bald.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:22 PM
Spying Beast
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
Thats stanger383 Z06 when he did the H&C, he had a 05c6 convertible that went 10.16 on a 275 45 17 hoosier dr, a few others ran the 315 x17 hoosier with sticks and set records, its a great tire, he now has a Z06 with a supercharger but its not done yet
Dennis, did you and Stranger pick up your 17" rear wheels at the same shop, or? Can you point me in the rig direction to find a set please?

I have a wide rear, Coilovers, Pfadt sway bars, do you still feel the 310x17 Hoosier is the better tire for a 700 WHP set up like mine? I don't mind the look, as they'll strictly be used at the track.

Thanks again for sharing those videos.. Interesting that Stranger was dead hooking a stock 05 C-6, particularly because the 05 had a problem with the diff walls shattering when wheel hop or dead hook occurred. Probably the stock HP was show he got away with it, still awesome though!!!

Keith
Old 01-19-2015, 06:24 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Guys keep in mind he has standard rear fenders so anything wider than 305 is going to rub unless he has some custom offset wheels.

Dennis I think the 305/35/18 M/T's are the hot ticket for those what want to run a DR on the street. Hoosiers cannot be run if there is any risk of a puddle, they are a full slick. M/T's have good siping and work pretty well in the rain until they get bald.
I agree Joe just giving some options Tony was fine in Buffalo N.Y. I remember driving home from the track years ago with a 68 formula 400 456 and spool with slicks, it started raining and even at 5 mph i couldn't drive, we have high crowns on the road and deep ditches on both sides and just kept sliding like it was on ice to the ditch, thank God the very small shoulder was sand
Old 01-19-2015, 06:31 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by Spying Beast
Dennis, did you and Stranger pick up your 17" rear wheels at the same shop, or? Can you point me in the rig direction to find a set please?

I have a wide rear, Coilovers, Pfadt sway bars, do you still feel the 310x17 Hoosier is the better tire for a 700 WHP set up like mine? I don't mind the look, as they'll strictly be used at the track.

Thanks again for sharing those videos.. Interesting that Stranger was dead hooking a stock 05 C-6, particularly because the 05 had a problem with the diff walls shattering when wheel hop or dead hook occurred. Probably the stock HP was show he got away with it, still awesome though!!!

Keith
Keith on stanger383 Z06 in the video it was the 315 x17 hoosier and he used ZR1 rims, he also had a C5 rear dif in the 05, on his 05 and mine we used the 275x17 hoosier with c5 wagon wheels, that setup was LS2 with dickey scoggins LS3 heads and ls3 Intake and a mild cam making around 470-80 rwhp
Old 01-19-2015, 06:42 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 7SECONDS
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on buying Mickey Thompson Drag Radials for my Base Model C6 with Standard Rear fenders. The car makes 755 RWHP and I am looking at MT-3723R 28x12.5R19 Does the added tire Diameter hurt anything besides the Speedometer reading? Does this tire size work really well or should I go down to an 18" rim to gain sidewall? I would run 19-20 psi in the Drag Radials, What are my options to disable the Tire Pressure Sensor Alarm. Please give me your feedback!
One thing nobody ever mentions about drag radials (not optional at your power anyway), but I thought I'd mention since this isn't a strip-only beast, is that a taller, larger sidewall tire is of course great for straight line performance, but it is at the expense of handling/cornering. I've never felt as confident in mine at high speed curves, say on a freeway interchange, as I was even on the $#!tty stock Goodyear Eagles. Not to mention, you can completely forget about driving in even the slightest rain. But an experienced drag guy probably already knows this.

Of course, at WOT on third-gear FWY pulls, the drag radials are nice.

Everything is a tradeoff. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:02 PM
7SECONDS
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
One thing nobody ever mentions about drag radials (not optional at your power anyway), but I thought I'd mention since this isn't a strip-only beast, is that a taller, larger sidewall tire is of course great for straight line performance, but it is at the expense of handling/cornering. I've never felt as confident in mine at high speed curves, say on a freeway interchange, as I was even on the $#!tty stock Goodyear Eagles. Not to mention, you can completely forget about driving in even the slightest rain. But an experienced drag guy probably already knows this.

Of course, at WOT on third-gear FWY pulls, the drag radials are nice.

Everything is a tradeoff. Good luck!
Yes, I agree! Another good question that you really don't see an answer for: Are these M/T Street Radials Speed Rated for the speeds that a corvette might see?
Old 01-19-2015, 08:18 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Yes, I agree! Another good question that you really don't see an answer for: Are these M/T Street Radials Speed Rated for the speeds that a corvette might see?
They will handle what you see in the 1/4 maybe in the texas mile but are not speed rated to handle high speeds for a long distance in highway miles, I have seen a 185 blast on a daily basis going to the grocery store
Old 01-20-2015, 11:51 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

FYI drag radials are not allowed at the TX Mile.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run 18" drag radials and the last around 8-10,000 miles on the street. My 60' is always in the 1.3 range and my car runs a pretty consistent 6.4- 6.3 sec 1/8 on pump gas.

M/T drag radials. 345/35-18

The following users liked this post:
mlewis100 (01-19-2021)
Old 01-20-2015, 01:02 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
FYI drag radials are not allowed at the TX Mile.
Thanks for the info Bill , I never ran their, was just using it as a term of measure. is the reason why they dont trust them or they dont wont you putting the power down from a start?
Old 01-20-2015, 05:29 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

It's because they weren't meant for the speed and more importantly duration of the mile. This rule was introduced around the time the Hinson vette rolled (which was on MT DR's).
The following users liked this post:
mlewis100 (01-19-2021)
Old 01-20-2015, 05:35 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
It's because they weren't meant for the speed and more importantly duration of the mile. This rule was introduced around the time the Hinson vette rolled (which was on MT DR's).
That was one scary wreck, so glad that dude walked away.

I think Gary2004z06 runs the 305/19 Mickeys for street driving and even bracket events when he's not going for a record. Maybe he can chime in with some advice.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

They will handle what you see in the 1/4 maybe in the texas mile but are not speed rated to handle high speeds for a long distance in highway miles, I have seen a 185 blast on a daily basis going to the grocery store
When I made my passes at the Miami Mile I ran street tires for that very reason, I don't think DR's are made to go that fast that long.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:46 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

When I made my passes at the Miami Mile I ran street tires for that very reason, I don't think DR's are made to go that fast that long.

180+ in my convertible Corvette.MP4 - YouTube
So I guess I shouldnt be driving that fast on mine because I do daily, a quick blast to 185 from around a 30 mph roll coming off the circle, and have been faster then that for maybe 5-6 miles on the TP with 305x35x18 drs and skinnies and feels very comfortable, lots of guys are hitting those speeds in the 1/4 with Drs after doing a horrendous burnout creating more heat then just driving
Old 01-20-2015, 07:52 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

So I guess I shouldnt be driving that fast on mine because I do daily, a quick blast to 185 from around a 30 mph roll coming off the circle, and have been faster then that for maybe 5-6 miles on the TP with 305x35x18 drs and skinnies and feels very comfortable, lots of guys are hitting those speeds in the 1/4 with Drs after doing a horrendous burnout creating more heat then just driving
Dennis buddy, if you're doing that on the TP your tires' speed rating should be the last of your worries. :-(
Be careful out there! :-)
Old 01-20-2015, 08:09 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Dennis buddy, if you're doing that on the TP your tires' speed rating should be the last of your worries. :-(
Be careful out there! :-)
Its when the traffic is very light, i dont trust quick steer in and out at that speed with skinnies
Old 01-21-2015, 09:02 PM
7SECONDS
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Haters Gonna Hate but I went with Mickey Thompson Street Radials 305/35R19 on stock rims and stock suspension. No wheel hop and Hooks Awesome on the Street!
Attached Images    

Get notified of new replies

To What M/T Drag Radials Recommended for C6 Base Model with 750 RWHP

Old 01-24-2015, 07:20 PM
GMVARY
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on buying Mickey Thompson Drag Radials for my Base Model C6 with Standard Rear fenders. The car makes 755 RWHP and I am looking at MT-3723R 28x12.5R19 Does the added tire Diameter hurt anything besides the Speedometer reading? Does this tire size work really well or should I go down to an 18" rim to gain sidewall? I would run 19-20 psi in the Drag Radials, What are my options to disable the Tire Pressure Sensor Alarm. Please give me your feedback!
Hi,sorry for my English,but,put one rear tmps in a PVC tube (4 inch long),cap one side (PVC glue) and drill a hole in the second cap for the second tmps valve tip and glue it .You have now a little pressure tank,wait 2hour to make sure it's dry and put the same pressure like front Wheel and your ECM won't see difference. Keep this tank in the trunk . GM VARY
Old 01-24-2015, 07:26 PM
GMVARY
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,sorry for my English,but,put one rear tmps in a PVC tube (4 inch long),cap one side (PVC glue) and drill a hole in the second cap for the second tmps valve tip and glue it .You have now a little pressure tank,wait 2hour to make sure it's dry and put the same pressure like front Wheel and your ECM won't see difference. Keep this tank in the trunk . I have M-T 305-35-19 on mine and everythings is ok. GM VARY
Old 01-24-2015, 07:51 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by GMVARY
Hi,sorry for my English,but,put one rear tmps in a PVC tube (4 inch long),cap one side (PVC glue) and drill a hole in the second cap for the second tmps valve tip and glue it .You have now a little pressure tank,wait 2hour to make sure it's dry and put the same pressure like front Wheel and your ECM won't see difference. Keep this tank in the trunk . I have M-T 305-35-19 on mine and everythings is ok. GM VARY
I cut the valve stems off so the tpms is smaller and can fit all four 4 in one 2" pvc pipe with two end caps I drill a hole and put a rubber pull in valve stem in the end o one cap, if you are using the car for the 1/4 you might want to put the front tires over the 42lb warning, it doesn't slow the car or limp mode just keeps flashing over 42 lbs, very aggravating.

Quick Reply: What M/T Drag Radials Recommended for C6 Base Model with 750 RWHP