C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I keep failing my inspection!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 11:42 AM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen

Maybe there's a difference in where the Inspection is done? I read that Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston and Austin have different rules than the rest of the State?
My guess is there is a difference between C6 model years ... maybe someone else knows for sure.

So far, no emission test in Comal County ... crossed fingers ...
Old 12-15-2014, 11:52 AM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by haljensen
All I know is what I experienced. My stock '08 C6 A6 passed TX Inspection 2012 with no tune, no CEL, nothing wrong. The following year (2013) my battery failed the week before my Inspection was due, I installed a new battery, took the car to the same Inspection station as the prior year and failed because of too many "not ready"indicators. The Inspector told me about the drive cycles, I came on here and got the drive cycle steps, ran thru them as best I could a couple of times then went back and passed the inspection.

No tune was involved before or after the failure.The only change was installing a new battery and the only solution that worked was the drive cycle and re-inspection.

My '05 had lots of bolt on mods and a COW tune and always passed Inspection at the same place but it never had the battery disconnected the week before Inspection either and never had to be re-inspected.

Maybe there's a difference in where the Inspection is done? I read that Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston and Austin have different rules than the rest of the State?
I'm not disputing the fact that by disconnecting the battery on an otherwise totally stock car one or more of the OBD systems will show as not ready, but in your prior post you specifically said "tune or no tune, doesn't matter".

What I was trying to demonstrate with the video was that if the tune is done properly everything will show as ready immediately.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Charlie in TX
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

As I understand it, there have been 2 different testing standards for years. The county where there is a smog problem (Harris county for Houston metro) and every county touching it has emit testing/cert in addition to safety. The cost is different depending on tests required, about $35 with emit and $15 without.

PS - They check were you live in the counties that don't require emit. So you can't just go to a none emit county to get a sticker.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:56 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
I'm not disputing the fact that by disconnecting the battery on an otherwise totally stock car one or more of the OBD systems will show as not ready, but in your prior post you specifically said "tune or no tune, doesn't matter".

What I was trying to demonstrate with the video was that if the tune is done properly everything will show as ready immediately.
My example, the '08 has never had a tune and wouldn't pass, my '05 had a tune and did pass. My situations a tune or no tune made no difference.

I think your statement of "a tune done properly" covers your statements. I don't have the ability or the equipment to do a tune so I did the drive cycles and they worked on my '08.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:37 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My tune is 100% correct and all of my systems are working correctly. I will go into my tune and make the appropriate correction so it passes then set it back. Patric G did my tuning and the proof is in the time slip.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:51 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

"Tuning" or having been "tuned" is a broad statement---any car can have a "performance tune" But that does not necessarily mean that the readiness tests have been all set to ready or the pesky codes have been turned off permanently
Every time you clear any codes or download any tune---All the readiness tests are always re-set to test again and they all read "not ready" at 1st--
A tune done properly can mean anything to anyone--To me a tune done "properly" means that there are no issues while driving---Surging--dying--shifting correctly--correct AFR at WOT--no lack of power---
It does NOT mean that any smog issues or readiness tests have been altered--
I rarely mess with the smog issues unless specifically asked by the customer ---as do most tuners---
Bottom line just because your car has been tuned----It still has to go thru all the readiness tests and have No DTC's------If you are NOT the original owner and have no history of what has been done--- Chances are the previous tuner did not touch and of the DTC's or tests----
Old 12-16-2014, 12:10 AM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car drives like factory which I find amazing considering the amount of modification. The car makes good mileage on the hwy and decent in town. At the same time I can drive to the track, deflate my tires and cut a 1.35 sec 60' and turn a 6.5 sec 1/8, pass after pass. This is my every day drive around tune. I can switch to my more aggressive tune and it will do better at the track but my mpg suffers on the street. I have seen and used many different tuners and I have yet to hear one say they are average or poor at tuning. You will know if you have a bad tune real quick because stuff will start breaking. I have seen 1000hp cars run a factory Trans with no failures. That said I have had four BUILT trans fail in one year because the tune sucked!
Old 12-16-2014, 04:23 PM
chevyguy3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Readiness monitors are a pain in the *** sometimes. I don't even bother with them anymore, in a couple minutes with HP Tuners you can make everything read ready.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:44 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyguy3
Readiness monitors are a pain in the *** sometimes. I don't even bother with them anymore, in a couple minutes with HP Tuners you can make everything read ready.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:13 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 735 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyguy3
Bingo!
Old 09-03-2015, 12:38 PM
bigpythons_2000_C5
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT tuner

I'm having the same issue with failing inspection with my C6 in NJ. I have a stock LS2, kooks headers, Callaway double d exhaust, and k&n filter charger. Tuned with an SRT tuner. Both Evan and O2 sensors not ready and put over 500 miles on the car. Can you fix a tune so I can pass inspection?

Frank

459304]You don't need to go thru the BS of a drive cycle as it usually never works anyway.

Have somebody pull your tune and send it to me and I'll make the needed changes for you. My car doesn't have cats or any of the oxygen sensors and all my OBD systems show as ready, even if I've just flashed the car.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-03-2015, 01:15 PM
PA_BLUE_C6
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'12, '15

I changed batteries and failed the inspection, did the drive cycle, went back to find I had 7 codes left. Need 6 or less to pass. Took it home to do the cold start the next morning and passed. What PITA!.......
Old 09-03-2015, 01:54 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by gbrtng
My guess is there is a difference between C6 model years ... maybe someone else knows for sure.

So far, no emission test in Comal County ... crossed fingers ...
Not sure about now because I live in Austin, but a few years back, only certain counties had to do the ODB 2 test. This was when they were first implementing it. You can actually do a search on google and it will take you to the dmv or dps site that explains this.

OP -- Not sure it was brought up before, but you can have 1 and only 1 setting for your emmissons system read as Not Ready. A few years back I had an o2 sensor go bad. Instead of buying and replacing, I was able to get to a local tuner who charged me a small fee to "tune it out".

It shows as Not Ready now but was shown as Failed before. It has passed for 3-4 years now with that setting.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:34 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by bigpythons_2000_C5
I'm having the same issue with failing inspection with my C6 in NJ. I have a stock LS2, kooks headers, Callaway double d exhaust, and k&n filter charger. Tuned with an SRT tuner. Both Evan and O2 sensors not ready and put over 500 miles on the car. Can you fix a tune so I can pass inspection?

Frank

459304]You don't need to go thru the BS of a drive cycle as it usually never works anyway.

Have somebody pull your tune and send it to me and I'll make the needed changes for you. My car doesn't have cats or any of the oxygen sensors and all my OBD systems show as ready, even if I've just flashed the car.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, with HP Tuners.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:42 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, with HP Tuners.[/QUOTE]

I cant believe how hard it is to convince people
Old 09-03-2015, 02:43 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
Yes, with HP Tuners.
I cant believe how hard it is to convince people[/QUOTE]

Especially since I don't charge people, unless I have to use up any credits and even then it's only $100.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:55 PM
cart7381
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Evap is a pain mine finally is ready after 1200 miles
Old 09-04-2015, 09:37 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Drive cycle worked for me when I changed my battery a week before my inspection in Georgia.....OBD 2 scanner on phone/bluetooth OBD2 thing works awesome in telling you if all the systems are ready or not.

Quick Reply: I keep failing my inspection!!!