C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am starting to lose my cool with the whole PFADT thing

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I am starting to lose my cool with the whole PFADT thing

I have the feather lite coil over suspension on my car and one of the rear shocks is leaking oil out of the adjuster ****. I have called the world trying to find who can fix this shock but I have had zero luck. Resuspension.com said they can't fix it either, Pfadt has the tools.

I'm about to good old boy repair this myself, does anyone have any clue as to what weight/type of oil is in the shock? Does anyone have the plans or drawings for the shock?
Old 11-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Sorry for your problems. I would be pissed too.

After a time just biting the bullet for another set may be the way out.

Stress and worry isn't worth it.

Sounds like you are at a dead end.

Good luck
Old 11-19-2014, 01:15 PM
joshz06
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Heard that Pfadt is coming back. Trying waiting a little longer.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Expecting warranty might be problematic, as well as design plans.

Getting it fixed who knows.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:12 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

As a lead.... try asking a motorcycle race shop for a recommendation.
You may have to mail the shock out of state.
Many bike suspension companies rebuild specialized gas charged, remote reservoir, dampening adjustable shocks. Perhaps they can test/ deduce the oil weight too or send both rear shocks.
Good luck.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:32 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

FEAL suspension rebuilds the pfadt singles now

Most if not all ohlins dealers can rebuild the doubles

good luck with the rebuild!

Old 11-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

I'm not looking for PFADTnto honor the warranty I want to get the shock fixed. The thought of throwing away a thousand dollar shock because it has a bad O-ring is more than I can stand. If I had a drawing I would take it to a machine shop and have it modified so I can fill the shock from an external port, maybe a grease zero fitting or a plug like an outboard lower unit.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:44 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

One of mine broke, so I ended up buying a new set of Bilstiens from LG.Motorsports.

I always thought that Pfadt parts were like gold jewelry for your car, but now it looks like it was gold "filed" jewelry...
Old 11-19-2014, 03:56 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
One of mine broke, so I ended up buying a new set of Bilstiens from LG.Motorsports.

I always thought that Pfadt parts were like gold jewelry for your car, but now it looks like it was gold "filed" jewelry...
how do you like the lg's? I've heard thier gt2 c/o's are way better than the phadt featherlights. hard to believe as i'm running feather lights and JOC swaybars....and that thing handles amazingly
Old 11-19-2014, 04:17 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
how do you like the lg's? I've heard thier gt2 c/o's are way better than the phadt featherlights. hard to believe as i'm running feather lights and JOC swaybars....and that thing handles amazingly
I am not a good enough driver to be a judge. The one thing I can tell you, is that you can always find a person to repair Bilsteins.

So i know a guy with a 2008 Z06 that had Pfadts and he raced Corvettes professioball in the 70's and he claims that the LG's run circles around the Pfadts. LG uses off the shelve (for lack of a better term) springs, so service in the future is not an issue.

Last edited by timd38; 11-19-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

IIRC 5w oil. A motorcycle shop will sell it to you by the quart. The main issue is trying to figure out how much oil is in the shock, If you get the shock open, I would carefully pour out the oil and measure. There may be a measurement line inside the cylinder. Who knows, maybe a good motorcycle repair shop can fix it for you or at least get it apart. If the shock oil is under pressure, just getting it apart may be tough not to mention dangerous.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:22 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
IIRC 5w oil. A motorcycle shop will sell it to you by the quart. The main issue is trying to figure out how much oil is in the shock, If you get the shock open, I would carefully pour out the oil and measure. There may be a measurement line inside the cylinder. Who knows, maybe a good motorcycle repair shop can fix it for you or at least get it apart. If the shock oil is under pressure, just getting it apart may be tough not to mention dangerous.

I'm looking at it like what do I have to lose? The caveman voice in me keeps saying " how can you let a shock whoop you". When people say it can't be done its like a challenge to me. The problem with the caveman voice is it ends up costing me five times what a new set of shocks would cost. Lolololololol *

I spent three year destroying 500 CI Cadillac engines on my airboat. Everyone said you will Never get a Caddy to live in the 5000rpm range. When it was all done I had one off aluminum heads and intake machined. Custom*T&D shaft system, external coolant lines to flow more water to the back cylinders, O-ring head gaskets, crank work, girdles, small block dist machined, etc, etc. *I finally proved it could be done, but I could have built several 572BBC for what I spent.

the end product was a beast! Over 700# of torque and 700hp out of a stroked 500 Caddy. The engine was 530 CI. *

Check out this.

We had to steel inserts in the cylinder head bolt holes so we could torque them down more. Caddy's only have 10 head bolts so it was a battle to keep head gaskets from blowing.

At the time this was the only set of heads like this for a Cadillac, and when it was all done with the alum heads and intake the engine weighed 60# more than a small block Chevy.

Allen Bills the owner of S&S performance built me a one off Holley and flowed it for the engine on a dyno.

The 300hp nitrous plate pushed the HP number over 1000 and made for a scary fast ride. It also made me very proficient at changing head O-rings. Lolololololol

Ps: check out the small grey braided hose coming out of the front of the Holley carb! We made a return fuel line for the carb and picked up 8 more HP. This kept the fuel in the carb cooler and made life easier for the Aeromotive fuel pump

Last edited by Crowhater; 11-19-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:38 AM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Based upon the financial resources committed to the boat motor, a new set of coilovers is one tank of fuel. So go get new coilovers and move on!
Old 11-20-2014, 10:32 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Ha ha.

I tend to agree with Timd38 band Crowhater looks like he does have some skills.

Good luck either way.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:57 AM
Crowhater
Drifting

Not going to do it! Someone has to be able to fix this. Does anyone have a diagram for the shock? I can turn the shock on a lathe to get it open and the tig it back together. It would help if I could see what's inside the shock.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:11 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Crowhater
Not going to do it! Someone has to be able to fix this. Does anyone have a diagram for the shock? I can turn the shock on a lathe to get it open and the tig it back together. It would help if I could see what's inside the shock.
I see your just north of me here in Texas but there's no doubt in my mind you started out in Louisiana.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:25 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Crowhater
PM forum member 383 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...59956-383.html) - he had his pfadts rebuilt by these folks: www.fealsuspension.com/

Get notified of new replies

To I am starting to lose my cool with the whole PFADT thing

Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 AM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If it's gas pressurized cracking it open just any way might be hazardous.
YMMV
But an Ohlin's techs, maybe with some help making the right tools, probably has the skills to fix it.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:57 AM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Everyone said you will Never get a Caddy to live in the 5000rpm range.
What they didn't include in this statement was "for less than the cost of a couple big block chevy engines built for a boat"
Old 11-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Even if you fix it, it will only be a matter of time until one of the others goes out. It really is the best choice to switch to another brand. LG, ridetech, penske, etc.

I don't know a single person that has swapped and wasn't amazed at the performance difference. I know 3 people who swapped to LG after failed pfadt parts and all dropped seconds, handled better, and have had zero issues reliablity wise.

Quick Reply: I am starting to lose my cool with the whole PFADT thing