C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual GS vs. Z06 drive train

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 03:53 PM
jingle
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual GS vs. Z06 drive train

I've found a lot of opinions but not much conviction in whether the manual Grand Sports have the same drivetrain as the Z06. I would love to hear from someone with serious experience about it.
1. Is the trans the same? If not, what, exactly, is different?
2. Is the axle assy the same? If not, what?
Bonus Round:
1. Does the manual GS have a forged crank? I have found multiple reputable references to the manual GS LS3 being built on the same line (actually, adjacent) as the LS7 and LS9, but is the crank, which has to have an additional gear to drive the dry sump system, forged, as well?
I would appreciate authoritative answers - I've already found plenty of speculation and guestimation.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:41 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jingle
I've found a lot of opinions but not much conviction in whether the manual Grand Sports have the same drivetrain as the Z06. I would love to hear from someone with serious experience about it.
1. Is the trans the same? If not, what, exactly, is different?
2. Is the axle assy the same? If not, what?
Bonus Round:
1. Does the manual GS have a forged crank? I have found multiple reputable references to the manual GS LS3 being built on the same line (actually, adjacent) as the LS7 and LS9, but is the crank, which has to have an additional gear to drive the dry sump system, forged, as well?
I would appreciate authoritative answers - I've already found plenty of speculation and guestimation.
Good question. I would like to know too.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:51 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

While both cars have the TR6060 transmission, the gear ratios are different (the GS uses the Z51 gear ratios). According to Rodney @ RPM, the GS manuals use the same differential case as the Z, but had a different part # originally. However starting in 2011 they show the same replacement part #.

Answer from Chevy on the crank at about 3:25:
This is also backed up by articles from Road & Track, Car & Driver, Jalopnik and just about every other car magazine out there. All manual GS engines are hand assembled at the Wixom Performance Build Center, which is where the LS9 & LS7 are assembled. If you look on the front of any passenger side of the engine, you'll find a tag with who assembled the engine and noting where it was built:
Old 08-20-2014, 05:01 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

1. Is the trans the same? If not, what, exactly, is different? Transmissions are same series, but sometimes different syncros, always different gear ratios, and also lower torque rating for the transmission in the GS.
2. Is the axle assy the same? If not, what? 2011 and later, they are the same. NOTE - 2011 and later GS vettes with Magnetic ride option also have the ZR1 axles.
Bonus Round:
1. Does the manual GS have a forged crank? I have found multiple reputable references to the manual GS LS3 being built on the same line (actually, adjacent) as the LS7 and LS9, but is the crank, which has to have an additional gear to drive the dry sump system, forged, as well? The GS with COUPE and MANUAL (meaning the Dry Sump engine) does have the forged crank.

See my bold comments inserted above.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:48 PM
jingle
Heel & Toe

Default Mostly

Originally Posted by Seadawg
Great, thanks for the info! The video did talk about the steel crank that was extended for the oil system, but didn't address whether or not it was forged. For now, I'll go with your answer of the GS Manual trans having forged crank. Any other info about the crank is appreciated.
Also - you state that the torque rating is lower on the GS - I have seen specs that say that the torque rating was higher in the T6060 that the T56 but nothing about different torque ratings within the T6060 series. It would seem to push cost up to do multiple versions within the series.

Last edited by jingle; 08-20-2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: update and typo
Old 08-20-2014, 05:54 PM
jingle
Heel & Toe

Default Also...

You say, "2011 and later, they are the same" - I have a 2010. Does that mean that mine is different, or the same but with a different part number?
Thanks,
John
Old 08-20-2014, 06:58 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

NOTE - 2011 and later GS vettes with Magnetic ride option also have the ZR1 axles.
Nice! I had seen some people with GSs say they had ZR1 axles, but hadn't seen a clarification on which ones got them. I would have gotten the MSRC anyway, but this is a nice bonus.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:08 AM
LS3Knight
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

So that's what Don Henley is doing these days!!!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:14 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

What about springs, shocks and sway bars without Magnetic ride option? If so, what years are they the same?

Last edited by jim2092; 08-21-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:08 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Ttt
Old 08-25-2014, 05:45 PM
jingle
Heel & Toe

Default A Little Clarification

Originally Posted by jim2092
What about springs, shocks and sway bars without Magnetic ride option? If so, what years are they the same?
I think what most of us are trying to figure out is, if we start doing things to our cars, "Where are the weak links and what's already stronger than we think?" My warranty is over in less than a year and I'm thinking, cam, long-tubes, tune, breathing improvements, maybe a little more. What should I worry about breaking once I start creeping over 550 rwhp? I know you can break anything if you try, but what are my reasoned current limits before I have to move beyond the engine compartment?
Old 08-25-2014, 06:33 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I think what most of us are trying to figure out is, if we start doing things to our cars, "Where are the weak links and what's already stronger than we think?" My warranty is over in less than a year and I'm thinking, cam, long-tubes, tune, breathing improvements, maybe a little more. What should I worry about breaking once I start creeping over 550 rwhp? I know you can break anything if you try, but what are my reasoned current limits before I have to move beyond the engine compartment?
Better re-think the limits of the stock setup. You have the same limits as any 430/436HP C6.

You don't have a 550HP motor or drivetrain, you have a 430/436HP motor and drivetrain. You have the same weak links as any C6, the GS gives you flared fenders and a fake scoop, not any extra HP or speed parts. Your engine is an LS3, not an LS7.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Arclight
Advanced

The dry-sump ,6sp Grand Sport definitely has a forged steel crank.It differs from the nodular iron crank used in wet sump engines by having a longer snout to drive the extra oil pump stage.It is machined from an LS9 blank. But you have hypereutectic pistons and powdered steel rods.NOT-titanium rods and forged pistons. That said-LS3's don't have the machining issues that have been present on some LS7 cylinder heads that have resulted in dropped valves and catastrophic failures.The Z06 guys don't exactly have a bullet proof motor. On the otherhand the GS does not have the SAME powertrain.

The block is very strong,but the rotating assembly is RPM limited. The factory redline IS the redline. If you want 7000rpm+ it won't last long.There are alot of guys with 100's of 1/4 passes on the stock driveline-but not without very good driving skills.

Bottom line- there are no free lunches. Drive it like its a race car and you'll be breaking parts. Don't take my word for it-read the following articles that talks about the engineering of the LS3 and how it compares to the LS9 and LS7. The steel crank is not a myth.

Check out this article:http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...ine-engineers/ and this one:http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...ine-engineers/

Last edited by Arclight; 08-25-2014 at 10:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual GS vs. Z06 drive train

Quick Reply: Manual GS vs. Z06 drive train