C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 01:16 AM
vettebyassociation
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Car won't start

So I bought a 2012 GS manual 2 months ago. The car only had 3k miles so obviously not driven a lot over the last couple years. The car has been flawless until a couple weeks ago while sitting in a drive through for a long time the message displayed to check charging system. Restarted the car and haven't had it come up again. However I at that point started paying attention to the voltage guage (digital and analog) and noticed it fluctuated a lot, especially with the a/c on. So to be safe I bought a new battery from walmart. Even with the new battery the voltage has still been fluctuating. I gave up on it as anything wrong.

Today when going to work in the morning I hit the start button. Nothing happened. So I hit it again and the car started. Didn't think anything of it. After work it wouldn't start again. Took an hour before it finally started. Got the car home. Now it won't start again for the last 4 hours.

What it does: I hit the start button with the clutch in there is a very laud metallic clang/click from the engine bay. Dash is black. As soon as I let the clutch out there is the same clang/click but not as loud. Dash will then come on, needles sweep, radio comes on, but no engine. After work it wouldn't start after several attempts. AAA was called and 45 minutes later I decided to try again and started up no problem. However as I mentioned, now has been dead for the last 4 hours. Voltage gauge reads 11.8. I know that these aren't always 100% accurate but it's all I got where I'm staying currently. That being said it's always between 12.2-11.8 with the engine off. Driving it sits at 13.9-14.2, at a stop light it will read 13.6-13.8 with occasional quick drops to 13.2-13.4.

Will tow to the dealer but would rather avoid if possible. Already tried the key fob in the glove box
Old 08-20-2014, 01:23 AM
vettebyassociation
Instructor

Actually when the clutch is in the dash is all black except for the check engine light that is solid. Again after releasing the clutch all lights come on like usual and everything works except the engine.
The following users liked this post:
vette4lyn (09-11-2019)
Old 08-20-2014, 03:00 PM
0Jared@RPP
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the starter relay and all starter connections first, its not too super uncommon for a c6 starter to fail, especially one that has sat for a while, let us know what you find or give me a call, 8884277249
Old 08-20-2014, 04:46 PM
vettebyassociation
Instructor

Thanks for the help. I'll check it out after work today. Appreciate it.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:21 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by vettebyassociation
Thanks for the help. I'll check it out after work today. Appreciate it.
Do we have an answer yet?
Old 08-26-2014, 04:53 PM
vettebyassociation
Instructor

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Do we have an answer yet?
Well took a couple days before I had time to tow it. It was a nightmare. Took 3.5 hours and two different tow truck/truckers to load my car on the flatbed properly.

Anyway, just got word today it's the starter and it's been replaced under warranty. So I'll be picking her up in couple hours. So happy to have her back. Been driving my 77 Datsun 280z which I love and is very fast for it's age (modified), but no A/C in Vegas summer is not fun. Also have my 2001 Mitsu Galant which has A/C but absolutely no power. So back in the Vette very shortly.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:33 PM
0Jared@RPP
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vettebyassociation
Well took a couple days before I had time to tow it. It was a nightmare. Took 3.5 hours and two different tow truck/truckers to load my car on the flatbed properly.

Anyway, just got word today it's the starter and it's been replaced under warranty. So I'll be picking her up in couple hours. So happy to have her back. Been driving my 77 Datsun 280z which I love and is very fast for it's age (modified), but no A/C in Vegas summer is not fun. Also have my 2001 Mitsu Galant which has A/C but absolutely no power. So back in the Vette very shortly.
cool deal
Old 08-29-2019, 02:18 PM
Idaho Mark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Bet you can ask for your money back and have the law on your side. Kind of makes me wonder if rodents didn't eat some of the wiring.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:34 PM
Idaho Mark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Something else crossed my mind and that is, will this work and issue be on the car's CARFAX? Dealer oil changes are.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:56 PM
lro
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 134 Likes on 40 Posts

So I emailed Macmulkin. I told them I had been patient enough. I no longer wanted this car. Even if they did have any success in fixing it... I would not feel confident owning this car in the future. I also said that with all the people getting in and out of the car all the parts being put in and out Etc this is no longer even a new car.

I still have had no contact from any management. I have been dealing with the person that did the paperwork for the sale. Who really and truly has been very much trying to contact everybody. But this is the response

"I just got off the phone and had a lengthy conversation with my GM rep. She is getting in touch with the GM district manager in your area to see what GM can do to fix this. If they can't fix the car then they will be looking into an alternative route to fix this and make you happy."

Right after that the service manager for the local dealership called me. Apparently there was a GM Tech that came by the dealership for something else and he had them look at my car. They were able to tweak the ECM and now able to get the car started for the first time. But the car kept shutting down because of the Anti-Theft. So now they're going to order a new anti-theft module. Forgot the exact name of the piece at this point....

So I said oh my God this is like the third or fourth you part it putting in there. This is ridiculous. So I don't know at this point if now I'm going to have to fight with the district manager here for GM? Or if this person is really going to help me out. Cuz at this point it seems like MacMulkin is out of it?

I'm going to hope that they can't make me take the car if they fix it. And I'm hoping that I'm not forced to have to get a lawyer in order to make this happen. At this point I am sad.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:40 PM
lro
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh, forgot to answer....I ordered arctic white Grand Sport, Red callipers black interior, data/navi. Very simple order. Not hard to replace.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:07 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Lot of complaining about McMulkin here but absolute silence about whomever is actually trying to work on the car. Makes me wonder about the rest of the "facts." McMulkin can do very little as they can't get their techs at the car. And unfortunately there are a lot of dealers that simply don''t do enough Corvette work to have half a clue about how a Corvette works.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:57 PM
lro
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Childish comments. That was all that was needed to make the situation complete.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:37 PM
CocoVette
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 90 Posts

Iro hasn't said one bad word about Macmulkin dealership, in fact the first thing she said was "So at this point I got to say it does seem that Macmulkin is trying their best to resolve this crazy situation.". There is nothing negative about that. It was another person who said "MacMulkin's responsibility and time to step up!".
Old 09-15-2019, 07:58 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

Default Original post is from 2014 ?

Ok, I am confused. Started reading this post and noticed that the time line was off. The original post by somebody named vettebyassociation was 8/20/2014. And then the threads jumped to 2019?
Old 09-15-2019, 08:06 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Yes, somehow this thread from C7 General Discussion has gotten appended to an old thread from the C6 Tech/Performance section. Odd.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:17 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Yes, somehow this thread from C7 General Discussion has gotten appended to an old thread from the C6 Tech/Performance section. Odd.
Thanks. I have seen some wonky stuff lately happening with threads getting cross pollinated from other threads.
May have something to do with the "related threads" feature. May be a bug.

Get notified of new replies

To Car won't start

Old 09-16-2019, 10:26 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Ultimately this is GMs failure - they choose the dealerships they do business with, and if they wanted to give this woman her money back or swap out a car, they could make it happen in 5 minutes. This is a disgusting display of corporate greed and stupidity.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:29 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by lro
So I emailed Macmulkin. I told them I had been patient enough. I no longer wanted this car. Even if they did have any success in fixing it... I would not feel confident owning this car in the future. I also said that with all the people getting in and out of the car all the parts being put in and out Etc this is no longer even a new car.

I still have had no contact from any management. I have been dealing with the person that did the paperwork for the sale. Who really and truly has been very much trying to contact everybody. But this is the response

"I just got off the phone and had a lengthy conversation with my GM rep. She is getting in touch with the GM district manager in your area to see what GM can do to fix this. If they can't fix the car then they will be looking into an alternative route to fix this and make you happy."

Right after that the service manager for the local dealership called me. Apparently there was a GM Tech that came by the dealership for something else and he had them look at my car. They were able to tweak the ECM and now able to get the car started for the first time. But the car kept shutting down because of the Anti-Theft. So now they're going to order a new anti-theft module. Forgot the exact name of the piece at this point....

So I said oh my God this is like the third or fourth you part it putting in there. This is ridiculous. So I don't know at this point if now I'm going to have to fight with the district manager here for GM? Or if this person is really going to help me out. Cuz at this point it seems like MacMulkin is out of it?

I'm going to hope that they can't make me take the car if they fix it. And I'm hoping that I'm not forced to have to get a lawyer in order to make this happen. At this point I am sad.
I would at least talk to a lawyer at this point to see where you stand legally. If you didn't legally take possession of the car, then GM should legally have to give you your money back if you demand it. Corporations tend to act more quickly when lawyers get involved. It might cost you a few bucks but it also might save you a lot of time and aggravation.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:07 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

What’s the out come
z51vett
Doug

Quick Reply: Car won't start