C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I Have a Bad Axle Assembly or Wheel Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 09:38 PM
LedZepper
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Do I Have a Bad Axle Assembly or Wheel Bearing?

Wonder if this is my problem ... I often get a clicking sound from the rear wheels when moving from a dead stop or after shifting. And I get a whirling sound that increases in pitch with speed.

I've changed the diff fluid, replaced the axle shaft nuts, replaced the stabilizer bar end links and installed new tires, but those noises continue.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:06 PM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Clicking during a turn or moving straight? Sound change with a load on rear gears or no load? Bring the car up to speed and put it in neutral and see if it changes.
Did you add lube to axle splines and torque to 144?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The splined part of the axle may be loose inside the hub. I had that happen on my 86 C4 and on my current 08Z. They had to replace both axles and both rear hubs on the 08. If the axles become loose within the hub then both the axle and hub have to be replaced. When the axle starts moving in the hub (clicking) it wears the hub and just replacing the axle will not get rid of the extra slop from the worn hub.

Bill
Old 08-20-2014, 11:39 PM
LedZepper
Drifting

Originally Posted by hydrasport
Clicking during a turn or moving straight? Sound change with a load on rear gears or no load? Bring the car up to speed and put it in neutral and see if it changes.
Did you add lube to axle splines and torque to 144?
Thanks hydrasport. Clicking during both moving straight or turning. The sound remains the same whether in gear or coasting in neutral. I did lube the splines with WD40, torqued to 130 and used red LocTite.

Last edited by LedZepper; 08-20-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:44 PM
LedZepper
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The splined part of the axle may be loose inside the hub. I had that happen on my 86 C4 and on my current 08Z. They had to replace both axles and both rear hubs on the 08. If the axles become loose within the hub then both the axle and hub have to be replaced. When the axle starts moving in the hub (clicking) it wears the hub and just replacing the axle will not get rid of the extra slop from the worn hub.

Bill
Thanks Bill. So I may be doing the same as you. Oddly, I can't detect any degraded performance. But I wouldn't think it's something I can put off for very long.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:51 PM
LedZepper
Drifting

Thanks for the advice guys. Turns out it was a bad wheel bearing. The axle shafts were ok. Also had to replace seals on the tranny and diff because they were leaking. And the axle nuts were retightened.

So all those noises are gone and life is good. Thanks again!
Old 10-04-2014, 08:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Hmm, well most of that is good news except the axle nuts. Just recently there was a thread re axle nuts which reminded me that they are one time use only. You may want to search that out. They are also very inexpensive but do require proper torque, Loctite and waiting I think it was 24 hrs. before use (may have been 12).

Get notified of new replies

To Do I Have a Bad Axle Assembly or Wheel Bearing?

Quick Reply: Do I Have a Bad Axle Assembly or Wheel Bearing?