C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a car with H/C/CAI/Catted exhaust pass emission test

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 04:18 AM
V4kerker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Will a car with H/C/CAI/Catted exhaust pass emission test

I would like to mod my 2007 C6 A6, but don't want to waste my time and money if it won't pass state emission check. I'd like to add CAI/full catted exhaust at a minimum plus head/cam and 102 fast intake and 102 TB.
Anybody have success passing their state emissions test without having to uninstall parts and tunes.

I live in Maryland and our cars have to be emission checked every 2 years. My 2007 C6 A6 just gets plugged into the MVA's computer and I'm guessing they're looking for any emission related codes.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:46 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Depends on how they do the test. In WI, they plug into the OBDII port and if they don't get an error, you pass. Not sure about your state.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:58 AM
0Josh@SpartanLSX
Former Vendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The correctly spec'd & tuned camshaft will pass the sniffer. The key is choosing the proper amount (or lack) of valve overlap. Anything with a positive valve overlap is going to be iffy depending on your state, but zero or below valve overlap should have no issues passing the sniffer just about everywhere.

On another note, do not waste your money with a 102mm setup on a heads/cam car. The gains are minimal, especially for the money spent. Have your stock LS2 intake ported for a couple hundred bucks and call it done. That is not an opinion. That is something we've confirmed over and over again.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:18 PM
V4kerker
Racer

Originally Posted by Josh@SpartanLSX
The correctly spec'd & tuned camshaft will pass the sniffer. The key is choosing the proper amount (or lack) of valve overlap. Anything with a positive valve overlap is going to be iffy depending on your state, but zero or below valve overlap should have no issues passing the sniffer just about everywhere.

On another note, do not waste your money with a 102mm setup on a heads/cam car. The gains are minimal, especially for the money spent. Have your stock LS2 intake ported for a couple hundred bucks and call it done. That is not an opinion. That is something we've confirmed over and over again.
Josh thanks for the very helpful cam info. My state just plugs into my cars OBD2 but older cars get the sniffer.
Josh is less overlap better for more DD and HPDE? I'd like more power/torque in the lower rpm range.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:15 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by V4kerker
Josh thanks for the very helpful cam info. My state just plugs into my cars OBD2 but older cars get the sniffer.
Josh is less overlap better for more DD and HPDE? I'd like more power/torque in the lower rpm range.
If you don't need to undergo the sniffer test it's possible to pass the rest regardless of your mods.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:03 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

They only plug in the car via the connections under the dash, unless your car is older than dirt. If your car isn't throwing a code, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:57 PM
jenablist
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

OMG are you my brother from another mother? I'm in for the same set up as you mentioned before, and I moved to Maryland... it sounds like we are going throught the same questions and phase. PM me and if we are not too far we can conbine some findings and efforts
Old 08-23-2014, 12:34 AM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

We can get you 100% taken care of so you will pass with no problems and get all your mods installed and tuned.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:55 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mv.../58000-08T.htm

Many exemptions.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:32 PM
spy2520
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like to mod my 2007 C6 A6, but don't want to waste my time and money if it won't pass state emission check. I'd like to add CAI/full catted exhaust at a minimum plus head/cam and 102 fast intake and 102 TB.
Anybody have success passing their state emissions test without having to uninstall parts and tunes.

I live in Maryland and our cars have to be emission checked every 2 years. My 2007 C6 A6 just gets plugged into the MVA's computer and I'm guessing they're looking for any emission related codes.
I live in MD also. Just an OBD check. My camaro has 3" dual exhaust, no cats, barely any mufflers and passes every time.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:38 AM
V4kerker
Racer

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
We can get you 100% taken care of so you will pass with no problems and get all your mods installed and tuned.
Frans96ss I sent a e-mail from RPM contact page the other day.
Looking for some info on prices and build suggestions.

Get notified of new replies

To Will a car with H/C/CAI/Catted exhaust pass emission test

Quick Reply: Will a car with H/C/CAI/Catted exhaust pass emission test