C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken top. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:44 PM
ingog
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken top. What to do?

I had a senior moment and forgot to lock in my top. Took it out and the top flew off my '09. No one injured except my pride. Paint side got scraped but the rear lip on the passenger side got destroyed. A bro-in-law who manages a fleet of trucks said, let me take it to my guy who does my fiberglass on the trucks. He took it without my car. It came back with the repair looking good but the fixed lip is about 3/16' higher and flexes (no water leak). It is bugging me. The rest of the vette is mint. Should I return it WITH the car. Can it be fixed to near perfect tolerances? It would have to be totally redone. Or should I just get a used top and get it painted? Don't know the cost yet and I know the vendor wants to make by in-law happy because he brings him tons of business. The short question is- can it be repaired to near original?
PS What does a used top cost?
Old 08-18-2014, 06:52 PM
RoadReady
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ingog
I had a senior moment and forgot to lock in my top. Took it out and the top flew off my '09. No one injured except my pride. Paint side got scraped but the rear lip on the passenger side got destroyed. A bro-in-law who manages a fleet of trucks said, let me take it to my guy who does my fiberglass on the trucks. He took it without my car. It came back with the repair looking good but the fixed lip is about 3/16' higher and flexes (no water leak). It is bugging me. The rest of the vette is mint. Should I return it WITH the car. Can it be fixed to near perfect tolerances? It would have to be totally redone. Or should I just get a used top and get it painted? Don't know the cost yet and I know the vendor wants to make by in-law happy because he brings him tons of business. The short question is- can it be repaired to near original?
PS What does a used top cost?
Can the repair be determined by other Vette owners? That would determine my decision....or if it is it good enough to brag about!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Check ebay. There is always one or two on there. Or you could ask your insurance to buy you a new one.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:54 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

what color? have you checked the classifieds on this site?

Get notified of new replies

To Broken top. What to do?

Quick Reply: Broken top. What to do?