C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak - somewhere...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 11:20 AM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Coolant leak - somewhere...?

I have an 06 with 95000 miles. I have noticed over the past month or so that after every time I drive it, I see about 6 ounces of coolant on my garage floor. BUT, it begins to show after a few hours or so on after I have shut the car off. It does not seem to be a running leak. Theres no viewable leaks that can be seen but there is a drip way up front on the drivers side approximately around the front corner of the radiator. I have tried to follow the leak up but its not clear where it might be coming from without taking things apart.

Before I do that, any history of a common problem source for this? Suggestions?
Old 08-16-2014, 12:07 PM
VYMIKE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you changed the hoses yet?
If not, you may be experiencing a pin hole leak from one?

Is the leak under the radiator? Could be a small leak in the radiator or your drain spigot loose.

Is it at the bottom of the engine? At the front or rear? Front of the engine could be a water pump starting to leak. Anywhere else on the engine could be a bad freeze plug.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:45 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by VYMIKE
Have you changed the hoses yet?
If not, you may be experiencing a pin hole leak from one?

Is the leak under the radiator? Could be a small leak in the radiator or your drain spigot loose.

Is it at the bottom of the engine? At the front or rear? Front of the engine could be a water pump starting to leak. Anywhere else on the engine could be a bad freeze plug.
water pump shaft seal. feel around the bottom of the pump see if your finger come up with coolant on it
Old 08-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
water pump shaft seal. feel around the bottom of the pump see if your finger come up with coolant on it
It could be what Ernie said but usually that leak will show up in the center of the car right above the stabilizer bar not the left side of the radiator. Have you looked at the hood insulation to see if any coolant has been sprayed on it. When a pump starts leaking bad enough coolant can get on the belt and be thrown around the engine compartment.

Get the car up in the air and when it is cold feel around the back of the water pump pulley and the back of the pump for dampness or stickiness. Feel the top of the stabilizer bar as well. If that checks out then start feeling around the left side of the radiator where the plastic tank meets the aluminum body. Check the spot where the radiator slips into the frame mount. Once done doing this do the same checks on the passenger side since fluid can easily move from one side to the other. Check around all hose connections and at the coolant tank.

Bill
Old 08-16-2014, 11:04 PM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Do pressure test on your coolant system to find the problem immediately.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:47 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Since it is over at the corner of the radiator I'd be looking for a cracked plastic radiator tank.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:49 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Make sure the expansion tank in not over filled.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:55 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Lots of things to look at!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:36 AM
vette6500
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another bet on plastic side of radiator. Replace with Dewitts or it'll happen again...
Old 08-18-2014, 10:22 AM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vette6500
Another bet on plastic side of radiator. Replace with Dewitts or it'll happen again...
It appears to be dripping from the drivers side lower radiator mount. I tried following it up but there is no clear trace. it only seems to leak after I have driven it and then only begins (or so it seems) about an hour or so on... It is not immediate. What a pain... I am tempted to try some Bars Stop Leak tablets... The car runs fine and does not overheat (as long as I replenish the fluid each time...) I hate to go blow a grand for something silly that I should be able to locate myself. Unfortunately, its minor enough that I cant but major enough that I do need a fix...
Old 08-18-2014, 02:22 PM
vette6500
Pro

I remember the first radiator leak was easy to see, since the plastic part on driver side developed a big crack on the upper area while autocrossing and was peeing coolant out of it when hot/expanded after one of the laps, so had to tow to dealer.

I believe the 2nd one seemed to leak from where the plastic meets the center aluminum part on the lower driver area.
The heat expands whatever small crack there is to leak coolant, then shrinks to seal up when cool, but I had visual confirmation of coolant remnants in the area when I looked carefully.

It was still drivable with slight top offs, so actually had time to "think" instead of going straight to dealer in a panic like the first time. Had my shop order Dewitts and installed over 2.5 years ago without an issue since.
I think total cost was maybe ~$200? more than what I paid dealer on the stock replacement, so it is a no brainer if you plan to keep the car.

I am also on my 3rd water pump, so it's good to at least make the radiator bulletproof, since I hated the constant faint coolant odor after pulling into garage.
(as others have said, water pump leak would be from the bearing/seal of the rotating wheel. you can use a flashlight to shine into the backside of the big dome/wheel to see if there are any coolant remnants on the bottom edge of that wheel, since whatever doesn't get flung around forms a tiny pool in the backside of that wheel when engine is shut off.)
Old 08-18-2014, 05:43 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

I remember the first radiator leak was easy to see, since the plastic part on driver side developed a big crack on the upper area while autocrossing and was peeing coolant out of it when hot/expanded after one of the laps, so had to tow to dealer.

I believe the 2nd one seemed to leak from where the plastic meets the center aluminum part on the lower driver area.
The heat expands whatever small crack there is to leak coolant, then shrinks to seal up when cool, but I had visual confirmation of coolant remnants in the area when I looked carefully.

It was still drivable with slight top offs, so actually had time to "think" instead of going straight to dealer in a panic like the first time. Had my shop order Dewitts and installed over 2.5 years ago without an issue since.
I think total cost was maybe ~$200? more than what I paid dealer on the stock replacement, so it is a no brainer if you plan to keep the car.

I am also on my 3rd water pump, so it's good to at least make the radiator bulletproof, since I hated the constant faint coolant odor after pulling into garage.
(as others have said, water pump leak would be from the bearing/seal of the rotating wheel. you can use a flashlight to shine into the backside of the big dome/wheel to see if there are any coolant remnants on the bottom edge of that wheel, since whatever doesn't get flung around forms a tiny pool in the backside of that wheel when engine is shut off.)
All excellent information! Thanx! When you mention Dewitts, what exactly is that?
Old 08-19-2014, 02:46 AM
vette6500
Pro

Dewitts makes all aluminum radiators, so no plastic sides to crack and leak.
They are sponsoring vendor for this forum as well, you can find a link for them on the left column if using desktop site.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:28 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Dewitts makes all aluminum radiators, so no plastic sides to crack and leak.
They are sponsoring vendor for this forum as well, you can find a link for them on the left column if using desktop site.

They are the place to go great product & great service

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant leak - somewhere...?

Quick Reply: Coolant leak - somewhere...?