C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping out of second

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 08:33 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Popping out of second

My 12 GS is popping out of second. When I shift, it feels like it's in gear, then when power is applied, it pops to neutral. Only really happens when it's cold. 32K miles, no transmission fluid change. Stock all the way. Has anyone else had this happen? Searched some on these forums, but no luck. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by yakisoba
My 12 GS is popping out of second. When I shift, it feels like it's in gear, then when power is applied, it pops to neutral. Only really happens when it's cold. 32K miles, no transmission fluid change. Stock all the way. Has anyone else had this happen? Searched some on these forums, but no luck. Thanks.
yakisoba,

I understand the displeasure when dealing with a transmission concern. While I realize you're seeking opinions from others, if you feel an official GM diagnosis is necessary, I'd be happy to communicate your sentiments with the Customer Experience Managers (CEM) at your preferred GM dealer. Please know that you're welcome to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or if you simply want your experience(s) officially documented.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-17-2014, 01:27 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The plastic clips that hold gears go in the box. Big job. Mine did the exact same thing so upgraded to an rpm 6060
Old 08-18-2014, 08:27 AM
0Josh@SpartanLSX
Former Vendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Broken synchro key's and worn/damaged synchro gears can cause this. It's an internal issue that will require the trans being cracked open for repair.

Since your car is a '12 with only 32K it should still be under some sort of warranty I'd imagine.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:25 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

PM sent to Chevy customer care. Hope we can get it fixed. There's a whine starting up now.

Also worth noting that I don't launch the car, nor drag race it. I do drive it like a corvette, but rev matching is normal to me. The transmission on my race car lasted over seven years. I'm not hard on shifters or transmissions, for sure.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:29 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Ha Yakisoba, it's been a while. Just thought I'd give you my 2 cents on the 2nd gear issues as I have it from Milford; it's common for 2nd gear not to shift as smooth as the other gears. GM uses a different synchro set then used in 3 through 6 and as it was put to me, it could have been a little better quality. I was told the best fix would be to use a quality aftermarket set of 2nd gear Synchro's.

The reason I was bending the ear of a couple of GM engineers is that I have the same issue with my '12 GS. Mine has always shifted a little stiff when cold so I switched to Amsoil (the HD stuff they put in trucks) and it helped....not a complete fix but at least 80% better.

It sounds like yours has gone way passed my issues and is ready to be replaced. Hopefully you are still under warranty; if so, perhaps you can work a deal for the dealer to furnish the labor and you buy the aftermarket synchro's.

Good luck, see ya sometime at the track
Old 08-26-2014, 07:12 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Good thinking above by "hisv", but I've seen it written that when a dealer's doing warranty work, it has to be factory parts. Reason is the parts are further warrantied for a short period of time by the dealer/GM. Maybe this could change but that's the reason and logic. It's been the norm for harmonic balancer replacement where the aftermarket has about three better alternatives.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:56 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Believe me, once it goes out of warranty, many things will change. Right now, it's straight up stock, fluids too. I've got a RPM transmission in my racecar. It's got steel forks and much better pads and so on. Works a treat, and far better than stock. It taught me to shift lighter and more gently with the stock box, which is why this issue is so weird. Should not be happening.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:09 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Keep in touch, I'd like to know how it works out with GM....just in case mine get any worse. I have 20K left on my warranty hopefully it will take a dumb before then.

Get notified of new replies

To Popping out of second

Quick Reply: Popping out of second