C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded C6 won't start when I push button

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:22 PM
MallettTodd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dreaded C6 won't start when I push button

for a month my 2007 Z06 would start sometimes and then sometimes when I pushed the start button just a single click and nothing. Let it sit for a bit and it would start most of the time. I could go several days and no problem, but as soon as I plan to attend a show or cars and coffee then she would act up and have to be push started.
Today she died and would not start at a popular breakfast spot here in town, the car attracts a lot of attention and its embarrassing when it wont start
Read all the threads on CF and checked fobs, put fob in glove box added new fob battery used both fobs, nothing.
Checked all battery cables and connection, replace with New battery, nothing.
I have all accessory power, everything works, wont start, jus 1 single dreaded CLICK
I have tow loops on car for track days, mostly used to pull start car these days, great investment.
Pulled it and it started of course, now I have the first warning mess ever" service charging system"
got it home, checked alternator, all is normal.
put it on jack stands get underneath and find that the front of the solenoid has sheered off and the starter wires still attached to the screw and nut in place are just hanging down.

How did this happen? and why did it start for a month sporadically?
anyone else have this?

Some additional info: This is a Mallett Z06 with Kooks Headers, I have about 27k miles and this is the 3rd starter. First one got too hot from headers and burnt up. Second one I had wrapped in heat tape and the starter wire nut loosened and arched and burnt up wires. Now this one has blown the entire end off with wires still attached to each other on the screw with nut tightly in place just free balling
Old 08-02-2014, 03:00 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Those headers must be real close to the solenoid. My AR headers have about an inch of clearance at the closest point to my starter; but maybe the clearance for you using Kooks is much tighter. Looks like a custom heat shield is the only way out for you.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:37 PM
99NassauVette
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I had this EXACT same issue and it turned out to be the heat from the headers. A brand new starter, jet hot coating on the headers, and a heat shield... She's back on the road. Quite a frustrating experience. I definitely recommend doing both of the above if you've not already.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:52 AM
cmorales515
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it really a dreaded C6?

I think the two above posters have the correct diagnosis: heat from headers melting starter solenoid. Happened to me too. Don't worry too much about difficult or redundant solutions. Buy a $100 replacement starter at O'Reilly, cover the solenoid with high temp heat shield tape (available on Amazon), and swap the old part out (not so hard, even without dropping headers). That's worked for me. No custom heat shield or new coating on headers. Also pop the hood if possible in situations when you shut the car down soon after spirited driving.

Last edited by cmorales515; 08-03-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by cmorales515
Is it really a dreaded C6?

I think the two above posters have the correct diagnosis: heat from headers melting starter solenoid. Happened to me too. Don't worry too much about difficult or redundant solutions. Buy a $100 replacement starter at O'Reilly, cover the solenoid with high temp heat shield tape (available on Amazon), and swap the old part out (not so hard, even without dropping headers). That's worked for me. No custom heat shield or new coating on headers. Also pop the hood if possible in situations when you shut the car down soon after spirited driving.
What brand headers are you running?
Old 08-03-2014, 09:58 PM
99NassauVette
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cmorales515
Is it really a dreaded C6? I think the two above posters have the correct diagnosis: heat from headers melting starter solenoid. Happened to me too. Don't worry too much about difficult or redundant solutions. Buy a $100 replacement starter at O'Reilly, cover the solenoid with high temp heat shield tape (available on Amazon), and swap the old part out (not so hard, even without dropping headers). That's worked for me. No custom heat shield or new coating on headers. Also pop the hood if possible in situations when you shut the car down soon after spirited driving.
Just a quick note, with LG headers I couldn't remove the starter without dropping the passenger side. The mounting bolt for the starter wouldn't clear the header.

Get notified of new replies

To Dreaded C6 won't start when I push button

Quick Reply: Dreaded C6 won't start when I push button