C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vibration help

I have noticed I have a vibration that starts around 2500rpm and is more pronounced under hard acceleration. I can be parked in the garage and give the car gas and feel the vibration. The Trans works perfect and all the torque converter bolts are tight. Could this be my factory drive shaft couplers failing? The car has 40,000 miles on it and it has been modified for 38,000 of those miles. on a lift it sounds like it comes from the torque converter area, but the converter works fine. I am wondering if it is just resonating to this area from the torque tube. People have told me it is common for this drive shaft couplers to fail.

My mods are listed below.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:18 AM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has your flywheel been replaced recently? If so, did they use the old bolts or new ones? I know mine is a manual. I had to replace the flywheel and the clutch. I decided to use the new bolts that came with the clutch kit. I finally tried out running the vett through WOT through the first 4 gears during the day. All was great when I parked it in the afternoon. I get the vett back out that evening to head to the track. I easily gassed the vett around a car in front of me. I started to have a vibration at 2500+. It also had a knocking sound not coming from the oil pan. It turned out the new flywheel bolts became soft.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:14 AM
Crowhater
Drifting

No I used the same factory flywheel bolts with thread lock. I told the shop to pull the torque tube and check the rubber drive line couplers. They are going to look over everything else while they have it apart.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:35 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Front bearing in the torque tube had eaten up the seat it sits in and the front coupler was rubbing the torque tube. Really weird failure because the bearing was not bad. I am replacing the entire torque tube, booth couplers will be changed to Polly and the flywheel will be replaced just to be safe. I am a firm believer that if you have it tore down you might as well replace everything.

Get notified of new replies

To Vibration help

Quick Reply: Vibration help