C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short throw shifters

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:25 PM
apredvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Sorry, I didn't even consider any other shifters. I had heard so much positive feedback on this forum about the quality of the MGW shifter that I bought one shortly after I bought my 2010 coupe.

Originally (in 2010) I had the older version that did not have a lower box. It was a improvement over the OEM shifter for sure, but when a newer improved version came out which also had a lower box, I bought that one.

It is even better than the first one that I had. I can't imagine a shifter could be much better than this newest MGW.
So any MGW you buy going forward now includes the lower box? (in other words, not an option you pay more for?). Was the installation significantly different than when you did the original non- lower box version? The video looked pretty straight forward but I wasn't aware there were different versions.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by apredvette
So any MGW you buy going forward now includes the lower box? (in other words, not an option you pay more for?). Was the installation significantly different than when you did the original non- lower box version? The video looked pretty straight forward but I wasn't aware there were different versions.
Direct from the MGW website:

"The MGW shifter assembly for corvette now comes complete with billet shifter and custom lower billet box."

There have never been different versions available at the same time. There have been different versions as the thing has evolved over time but each new version replaced the previous one. As for the shifter box, they made it available as a separate piece for a while (I presume that was so that it could be tested in the field) but once it was shown to be a success, it was made a part of the deal.

Installation - even with the lower box - is quite straight-forward.

Z//
Old 08-02-2014, 12:19 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by apredvette
The lower box was designed for the shifter and vice versa. They pair up beautifully so you definitely want/need both. They are made to go together.

The installation was not anymore difficult, just an extra step to switch out the OEM shifter box.

Mine installation went without a hitch. Of course you have to take the center console/radio surround piece out to do it.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:30 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Top two mod's I've ever done to my Z. What a difference it made!!
Old 08-02-2014, 03:03 AM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I hated my Hurst shifter!
Old 05-16-2015, 02:24 PM
racerxrick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

personally I feel the MGW is too "notchy"...and now I just read the anti venom brass washer mod, sounds like a plan!
Old 05-19-2015, 03:21 PM
everkain
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have a MGW in my 2002 Z06 that was the original design with the 35% throw reduction. However, it took a bit of effort shifting gears, so i switched it out for a newer c6 Z06 shifter. Now that i have a c6, i was thinking about trying one of MGW's new designs. Does anyone know if they are different from their earlier designs? If so, how do they compare?
Old 05-19-2015, 07:19 PM
slayer6x6
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the installation all done from inside the car?
Old 05-19-2015, 07:21 PM
slayer6x6
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, can you use the stock **** with the new shifter?
Old 05-19-2015, 08:42 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by slayer6x6
Also, can you use the stock **** with the new shifter?
Yes, install of the shifter is done inside the car, and you can use either the stock shifter, or if you want to go with a screw on type shifter ****, then order the shifter with the screw on type shifter ball shaft (or just order the shifter kit with both type shafts).
Old 05-20-2015, 08:26 PM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Ditto with going to a MGW (due to the dampener assembly), and as for the notchy feeling, single "anti venom" Brass washer to shim the trans indexer detent assembly sightly outward will resolve that notchy feeling.

http://www.toquez06.com/avm.html

Also to note, the new MGW shifters comes with a off set. I lucked out since I have longer arms and got the version just before the current one that has the shaft coming straight up out of the damper instead.

This is the one that I have,

While the new ones have the off set (slightly back to the the left) and comes with the new lower shifter box as well.

http://www.mgwltd.com/corvette_short..._shifter.shtml
Where is the trans detent thingy located?

Quick Reply: Short throw shifters