C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque tube transmission rattle noise manual 08

Old 07-21-2014, 07:42 AM
hnaskoct
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default torque tube transmission rattle noise manual 08

*c6 is making a rattling noise or maybe like a throw out bearing noise its weird !when my car is idling in nuetral and not pushing on the clutch it makes a niose at the end of the torque tube rite there in front of the 6sp tranny but if i start pushing the clutch in rite when it starts to disingage or whatever it completely stops and soon as i let off the clutch its back .kinda sounds even like a vibration in the front of the trans or end of torque tube..i have put trans in 3 -4 times,even got it rebuilt because I thought that was the noise..when i crank the car without transmission it doesn't make any noise..it's not the clutch ..seems like when the T tube has pressure on it , it makes the noise...The driveshaft doesn't look bent...I so lost...need help plz..don't what to do at this point
Old 07-21-2014, 10:54 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Certainly sounds like the torque tube. The bearing at the transmission end is what goes bad most often.

You say you've had the trans out 3-4 times? Each time is an opportunity to damage the TT.

And, just for information and thought, you say the driveshaft doesn't "look" bent. That is not something you can determine just from looking. It doesn't need to be "bent" very much to be junk. I am certainly no expert on these so I offer this info from Chuck CoW for your consideration, nothing else intended, just for info:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1582774982-post9.html
Old 07-21-2014, 12:09 PM
hnaskoct
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RicK T
Certainly sounds like the torque tube. The bearing at the transmission end is what goes bad most often.

You say you've had the trans out 3-4 times? Each time is an opportunity to damage the TT.

And, just for information and thought, you say the driveshaft doesn't "look" bent. That is not something you can determine just from looking. It doesn't need to be "bent" very much to be junk. I am certainly no expert on these so I offer this info from Chuck CoW for your consideration, nothing else intended, just for info:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1582774982-post9.html
I have dropped it all those times this past week because I can't get rid of the noise...when the transmission is out of the car, it doesn't make the noise at all, I have also changed the bearings and Rubber ..
Old 07-22-2014, 12:18 PM
hnaskoct
Burning Brakes

Anyone????
Old 08-20-2014, 07:27 AM
ColtaBilly
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 05 C6 manual also that is doing the same thing. I've replaced the driveshaft (used z06), bearings, new RPM diff, new clutch (Monster), RPM rebuilt T56 (used), and still have the same noise with the clutch out in neutral only. I may have some bad used parts... I'm living with it for now and will drop the drivetrain (again) when the weather changes. I'll let you know what I find - hope you let me know if you figure it out also.
Alos, watch the exhaust support springs - they can cause noise.

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:38 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Could it be the bearing in the slave cylinder?
Old 08-20-2014, 08:16 AM
ColtaBilly
Instructor

I thought about that, if there is a slight gap between the new clutch pressure plate and the bearing - it could be rattling and resonating down the shaft. Sure sounds like it is nearer the trans though. I need a lift in my garage - hard to troubleshoot on my back under jackstands. lol
Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:16 AM
ColtaBilly
Instructor

Forgot to say that I installed a new slave and bearing with the clutch.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:25 PM
airblaine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello All,
i know this thread is very old, but i am having the exact same issue after installing a McLeod dual disc clutch, rebuilding torque tube for sport and having manual transmission first gear fixed. 0 miles and i get a bad noise and vibration that appears to be from the rear of torque tube and front of transmission. I swear it was the tranny so i sent it out to another shop for a full rebuild, same noise. ok, it must be the torque tube. i put in new timken bearings this time. still making noise. mind you there is 0 miles on install.
cant be idler bearing since it only spins when clutch is depressed.
Mcleod said no need for adjustment, just bolt in the clutch and stab in the drive shaft. I am confident the clutch engages and disengages perfectly.
starting to think i need to replace the drive shaft.
Need help and advice before i throw more money and time at this.
what was your resolution to this issue?
Mine is a 2009 corvette, manual tranny 20k miles

Get notified of new replies

To torque tube transmission rattle noise manual 08

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: torque tube transmission rattle noise manual 08